WTF TKD without all that protective gear. . .

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you've seen WTF TKD and have always wondered what it would look like without all that gear, well here you go.

Interesting vid.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha, probably not.

It actually strikes me as probably being what kyokushin would look like if you could rack up points with kicks.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's certainly entertaining (to me, at least). I don't think I'll be doing it though. It hurts bad enough with the gear.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was protkd infact I put some vids one or two years ago about it, and yes I like alot this way of doing sparring,

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still seems silly to me to ignore the wide open head.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of those body punches were awesome. Id call them one of the highlights of the video!

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to be to critical, this is a awesome display of skill, but i did notice one thing. When they did manage to get past kicking range, but before the clinch, they were attempting to use punches. Its just they looked "lost" when they tried to punch or use hand techs, like they were using something nearly foreign to them. It was refreshing to see there hands in different places tho, instead of on there hips.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to be to critical, this is a awesome display of skill, but i did notice one thing. When they did manage to get past kicking range, but before the clinch, they were attempting to use punches. Its just they looked "lost" when they tried to punch or use hand techs, like they were using something nearly foreign to them. It was refreshing to see there hands in different places tho, instead of on there hips.

You're much more generous than I am, then. I didn't find them impressive at all.

I also still can't stand seeing people fall down after kicking.

Pax,

Chris

My response to both is, unlike Kyokushinkai, these people were guarding their bodies with their arms rather than keeping their arms out almost like a 'fence' in preperation to throw their own.
As a result the punches had to be directed to go around the arms, rather than having a continuously open section of body to target.
The delay was more than likely them trying to make the punches count. And since they cant just more instinctively target the head, theyre left with trying to smack in whatever ribs they can reach around the other persons arms.
I wasnt so much talking about the technical side of it, anyway. They just had some decent power behind them, and thats more important to me. Or it looked like they did, anyway.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They fight based on the rule set...if you don't understand the rule set you will not understand why they do things...

If you don't like the rule set don't participate...

If you don't find it entertaining don't watch...

We get 2 or three BB's a year who come from other arts or SD who want to try WTF style sparing because they think it looks easy and that they would be able to dominate TKD fighters...

We had a Cop come in about three weeks ago...he has his BB from the school and has not been around for a couple of years...the school used to be more SD oriented under the old Master...It has changed...said he wanted ti spar...offered him gear said he did not need it...he picked my son to spar he is 15 and about 50 lbs lighter....after about 30 seconds he realized he needed gear and stopped...we gave him gear and my daughter fought him...she hit him with a couple of shots to the Hogu and took his breath...I spoke with him after he said that he had watched the Olympics and thought the kicks looked soft...he said that this changed his mind....he is working with my son on some police techs...my son wants to be come a COP...my son is working with him on sparing...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well that is Master Dong Lee, his father Grand Master Chang Lee are from the DFW area. Master Lee is one of the USAT national coaches and a great friend and believe me if he ever kicked you you would want the gear on and it would not help. Sometimes people just do not relize how hard WTF style kicks are until they get kicked once or twice, it is not like alot of Karate tournament sparring light contact.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well that is Master Dong Lee, his father Grand Master Chang Lee are from the DFW area. Master Lee is one of the USAT national coaches and a great friend and believe me if he ever kicked you you would want the gear on and it would not help. Sometimes people just do not relize how hard WTF style kicks are until they get kicked once or twice, it is not like alot of Karate tournament sparring light contact.

I read an article some years ago that talked about a study done with the Korean national team. It measured the incidence of injury from kicks while wearing a hogu and not wearing one. With a hogu something like 25% of people suffered an injury. Without one the rate rose to 100%.

I still would like it better if WTF fighters didn't fall down after kicking, though :D

Pax,

Chris

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
That was protkd infact I put some vids one or two years ago about it, and yes I like alot this way of doing sparring,

Manny

If you can find them, you should repost them. Do you know if this organization or whatever it was is still around?

Most of the "PRO TKD" stuff I found was more of this variety, which is clearly a totally different thing:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score

I've noticed that whenever WTF guys punch it seems to be more of a "get off me" punch--kind of like the punch version of a push kick--rather than a boxing style punch. It makes sense considering the rules they're fighting under, but it definitely looks odd. Then again, WTF TKD is a very peculiar looking sport all around.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
We had a Cop come in about three weeks ago...he has his BB from the school and has not been around for a couple of years...the school used to be more SD oriented under the old Master...It has changed...said he wanted ti spar...offered him gear said he did not need it...he picked my son to spar he is 15 and about 50 lbs lighter....after about 30 seconds he realized he needed gear and stopped...we gave him gear and my daughter fought him...she hit him with a couple of shots to the Hogu and took his breath...I spoke with him after he said that he had watched the Olympics and thought the kicks looked soft...he said that this changed his mind....he is working with my son on some police techs...my son wants to be come a COP...my son is working with him on sparing...

Yeah, I've never done WTF sparring, but this is what I've always heard. I definitely sympathize with the view that the kicks look soft. They really do. But I've heard over and over that that's just not the case.

There's a good WTF school down the road that I've visited a couple of times. I'd really like to commit to doing it for a little while and do some sparring with them and, hopefully, do some competing.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nothing like a good sport bashing thread to get the blood going...bad rep me some more!

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've noticed that whenever WTF guys punch it seems to be more of a "get off me" punch--kind of like the punch version of a push kick--rather than a boxing style punch. It makes sense considering the rules they're fighting under, but it definitely looks odd. Then again, WTF TKD is a very peculiar looking sport all around.

I think this may be changing as punches seem to be scoring more these days, but yes, punches are often used to create space for kicking. It's hard to really hurt someone through the hogu, but it can be done.

Latest Discussions