I dislike to been alone

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeap last night no one came to class, it was weird because my sambo only had some kids and one mom the previus class to mine. I was very boring keeping in mind let go to home but I made up my mind and stay in dojang do my warm up and stretches and practiced poomsa for one and a half hour doing koryo, kungam and at the end with the help of my sambonim taebek.

I sweat a lot and in general was a nice work out.

Manny

Dwi Chugi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeap last night no one came to class, it was weird because my sambo only had some kids and one mom the previus class to mine. I was very boring keeping in mind let go to home but I made up my mind and stay in dojang do my warm up and stretches and practiced poomsa for one and a half hour doing koryo, kungam and at the end with the help of my sambonim taebek.

I sweat a lot and in general was a nice work out.

Manny
So you trained on Thanksgiving?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This forum is world wide. If you look, you'll notice that Manny is in Veracruz, Mexico. I don't think it should be a suprise that Mexico does not celebrate American holidays...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had only one student show up--it is not a pleasant feeling knowing my family is home and I'm there for just one person.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had only one student show up--it is not a pleasant feeling knowing my family is home and I'm there for just one person.

On the other hand, that student got your full attention and you both could focus more without distractions. Some students will feel really appreciative of the attention I think.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No doubt it's good for the student--though they often seem ill-at-ease because of being the sole focus of attention--but for the instructor it can be a let-down! It's also that much more tiring for the instructor, to be frank...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the smallest class I've seen was maybe a half dozen. With myself and Sabumnim there, they all got a lot of personal attention. I rather liked it, actually.
Another day we split off a group of 5 new 4th geups for me to work with on Palgwe 6. About 15 minutes in, they all knew the basics of the form, and were not only asking questions, but were asking questions about non-obvious applications of the techniques they were learning.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
No doubt it's good for the student--though they often seem ill-at-ease because of being the sole focus of attention--but for the instructor it can be a let-down! It's also that much more tiring for the instructor, to be frank...

I definitely agree with Bob on this one. I would want to think that my instructor is just as interested in training me alone as he would be with training a hundred people. I would think that for the instructor it might be a welcome change of pace as well.

How is it more tiring?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny, you've made a lot of comments over the past year or so about being bored or discontent in one way or another with your current training.

You've mentioned a few times that there were some other martial arts you're curious about studying. Perhaps you should move in that direction?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I definitely agree with Bob on this one. I would want to think that my instructor is just as interested in training me alone as he would be with training a hundred people. I would think that for the instructor it might be a welcome change of pace as well.

I teach for a living during the day--then sometimes teach martial arts at night. As with anything, a job is sometimes a job, no matter how much you like your job--you put on a good show but aren't feeling it that day. As to a change of pace for the instructor--well, that depends on which student has shown up!

How is it more tiring?

Arnis is very interactive--and your arms are going all the time with the sticks. In a regular class I demo. a technique, then begin by working with a student (rotating each time, then using him for the next demo.), then bow out and wander around to look at the other students. Now I'm going nonstop all class. It's more tiring.

It isn't that I don't like teaching classes or don't see it from the student's P.O.V.--but for me it's more work, and if it's not a better-than-average (where paying attention and wanting to learn are concerned) student then it just isn't as much fun as a group dynamic. This is esp. so in an always-partnered art like arnis. If I were judging and correcting kata too it might feel different!

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can empathize with your situation. On the other hand, some of my best times are when I'm alone in the dojang and able to work on kata in a quiet peaceful setting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach for a living during the day--then sometimes teach martial arts at night. As with anything, a job is sometimes a job, no matter how much you like your job--you put on a good show but aren't feeling it that day. As to a change of pace for the instructor--well, that depends on which student has shown up!

Arnis is very interactive--and your arms are going all the time with the sticks. In a regular class I demo. a technique, then begin by working with a student (rotating each time, then using him for the next demo.), then bow out and wander around to look at the other students. Now I'm going nonstop all class. It's more tiring.

It isn't that I don't like teaching classes or don't see it from the student's P.O.V.--but for me it's more work, and if it's not a better-than-average (where paying attention and wanting to learn are concerned) student then it just isn't as much fun as a group dynamic. This is esp. so in an always-partnered art like arnis. If I were judging and correcting kata too it might feel different!

Change up your teaching techniques. Involve a video camera, work a segment while recording it, then do a play back and analysis with the student. That'll give the arms a rest and allow you both to critique and correct. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Change up your teaching techniques. Involve a video camera, work a segment while recording it, then do a play back and analysis with the student. That'll give the arms a rest and allow you both to critique and correct. :)

Better yet... an iPad and Coaches Eye software. You will never go back to a plain old video camera.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score

I do agree that sometimes you're just not "into it" . . . regardless of what "it" is. I suppose those are the moments when we must simply trudge along.

That makes sense. Out of curiosity, what is the average class size? Is it very often that you only have one person?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My classes are at a small college. One person is pretty rare--really, only when I agree to hold class during finals weeks--but 6-8 has been typical.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
we had it a few times when one of the instructors i know started his own class. i go along as his assistant and after the initial few classes of 6-8 people (its not a big room) it died down and id turn up and there's just be 1 student. this happened a few times and it was getting a bit silly. yes its good for the student but the venues cost money and without students there can be no class.

luckily he did a recruitment drive and the 1st week of it 13 new students turned up :D

that went down to 9-11 new students + 2-4 mid level students and has kinda settled at that.

getting a bit cramped in there now :D

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, you've made a lot of comments over the past year or so about being bored or discontent in one way or another with your current training.

You've mentioned a few times that there were some other martial arts you're curious about studying. Perhaps you should move in that direction?

you are rigth but at this moment can't afford training or learning another martial art, however once a onth I had a training meeting with other martial art guys (shotokan,aikido,budo taijutsu,etc) and have a good time with them.

Manny

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We just opened a month ago and only have 10 students so far (a lot of people say they're waiting till after the holidays), so we have at least 2 classes every day with no students. Sometimes we (my fiance and I) train, but it's always boring and stressful.

Latest Discussions