Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, wearing an Adidas sponsored Dobok is not exactly traditional:D :D:D:D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any Tang Soo Do instructor worth his salt should have taught you some more elaborate kicking (compared to Karate), and that is TKD you learned.

No, Wado Ryu has an impressive amount of kicks ( all effective, whether they are 'elaborate' or not I have no idea, it's not something I think about) in it's curriculum and I've very happy with them thank you. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I meant elaborate kicks when I said TSD is a simpler form of Wado. The hyungs in TSD are far simpler than the katas of Wado and Shotokan, many moves are left out in TSD ( or added in Wado and Shotokan, whichever ). Simpler doesn't mean necessarily wrong but that it's not to my liking.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How much polyester is in those doboks? Not saying NEW ITF ones are clear of charges, but I've have had students come up to me feeling suffocated after sweating in very WTF-like doboks, and could only offer my condolences.
Depends what the practitioner chooses to buy. Sparring doboks are high polyester to reduce weight. Poomsae doboks less so. Good quality all purpose doboks vary from 20 to 60%

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, Wado Ryu has an impressive amount of kicks ( all effective, whether they are 'elaborate' or not I have no idea, it's not something I think about) in it's curriculum and I've very happy with them thank you. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I meant elaborate kicks when I said TSD is a simpler form of Wado. The hyungs in TSD are far simpler than the katas of Wado and Shotokan, many moves are left out in TSD ( or added in Wado and Shotokan, whichever ). Simpler doesn't mean necessarily wrong but that it's not to my liking.

By elaborate I mean jumping spinning kicks. You weren't taught any of that that in Tang Soo Do? I don't know about Wado Ryu but Shotokan is very grounded...

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Trained TSD have you?

I can enter a Tang Soo Do dojang and not adjust any kicking techniques from what I learned in Chang Hon/ITF. That's how similiar (identical) they are in pure kicking.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can enter a Tang Soo Do dojang and not adjust any kicking techniques from what I learned in Chang Hon/ITF. That's how similiar (identical) they are in pure kicking.
So, no, then. Then what do you know about TSD instructors 'worth their salt'? Hmm?

I'm sure they'll just grade you and your 80% Polyester Adidas ITF pyjamas right up to 1st dan.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is EXACTLY the same kicking mechanics as taught in the Chang Hon system of TaeKwonDo.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By elaborate I mean jumping spinning kicks. You weren't taught any of that that in Tang Soo Do? I don't know about Wado Ryu but Shotokan is very grounded...

I've done jumping spinning kicks in both styles. You aren't getting what I mean are you? this is because I don't think you know what the TSD hyungs or the Pian/Heian katas are so can't actually compare them.

What do you mean by 'grounded'?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is EXACTLY the same kicking mechanics as taught in the Chang Hon system of TaeKwonDo.

And? How many TSD instructors do you know? How many have you trained with. Oops, zero.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You could also go into karate dojos and do the same.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've done jumping spinning kicks in both styles. You aren't getting what I mean are you? this is because I don't think you know what the TSD hyungs or the Pian/Heian katas are so can't actually compare them.

What do you mean by 'grounded'?

I don't know anything about Wado Ryu. If you've been taught advanced aerial kicking in that style , then I won't argue. These might include, jumping scissor kick (Juche pattern), jumping,spinning hook kicks, etc.

Ring a bell in Tang Soo Do or Wado?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You could also go into karate dojos and do the same.

NO. Shotokan kicks don't look the same as TSD/ITF, if done by the book. They chamber leaning their body forward, Traditional TKD uses more leverage,leans more back/to the side, and more hip rotation (excessive if you ask A shotokan stylist).

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chang Hon TKD/ITF has been so effectively exterminated it's near impossible to find an instructional video for a traditional, TaewonDo turning kick. But here is ONE. He demonstrates with the instep.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
You honestly thing every dojang in Seoul has a web page or a street facing shop window?

I spent about 20 minutes in 2013 walking around and around one area of Seoul looking for Grandmaster Kang, Ik-pil's dojang (the author of the Kukki-Taekwondo bible!). Eventually I gave up and called him, and he kindly sent two of his students to exactly where I was - and no word of a lie, they walked me maybe 20 yards to a little door, and went upstairs to the dojang.

I'd never have found it, and this is the full-time dojang of a Taekwondo poomsae World Champion, Kukkiwon instructor (he often teaches masters on the Master Instructor Course) and published author.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I spent about 20 minutes in 2013 walking around and around one area of Seoul looking for Grandmaster Kang, Ik-pil's dojang (the author of the Kukki-Taekwondo bible!). Eventually I gave up and called him, and he kindly sent two of his students to exactly where I was - and no word of a lie, they walked me maybe 20 yards to a little door, and went upstairs to the dojang.

I'd never have found it, and this is the full-time dojang of a Taekwondo poomsae World Champion, Kukkiwon instructor (he often teaches masters on the Master Instructor Course) and published author.
Exactly. It's easy to find a 노래방, but not so much for Dojangs. They tend to be tucked away in the cheaper side streets, and not at street level, with very little signage. Websites also seem to be the exception rather than the norm. You'd be lucky to find one by chance, and it's a needle in a million haystacks to find Chang Hon by chance.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO. Shotokan kicks don't look the same as TSD/ITF, if done by the book. They chamber leaning their body forward, Traditional TKD uses more leverage,leans more back/to the side, and more hip rotation (excessive if you ask A shotokan stylist).

Mmm so they always lean forward then, on all kicks. How odd. I'd like to see how you think they do a sidekick 'leaning their body forward'.

You seem to not actually read anything but rather already have an 'answer' to post, which makes having conversations with you somewhat surreal.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mmm so they always lean forward then, on all kicks. How odd. I'd like to see how you think they do a sidekick 'leaning their body forward'.

You seem to not actually read anything but rather already have an 'answer' to post, which makes having conversations with you somewhat surreal.

I was referring to the mawashi geri. Their sidekicks also appear to be more "restrained" as it relates to leverage

Latest Discussions