WTF clubs that credits General Choi as founder and/or developer of TaeKwonDo

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
I never saw a video of Taekyon sparring before - is that possibly where the Sinewave was influenced by?

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
sorry I didn't phrase that sentence very well - what I meant to say was I had watched a video with Taekyon in it, and they were doing a form of soft contact sparring where they did a type of circle walk and were constantly circling their hands (as if they were going from White Crane Spreads Its Wings from one side to the other), in it they were constantly moving up and down as they moved stance, not as fast as the usual 'sparring'/kickboxing type movement either, so it did look quite sinewave-ish.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. A knife hand and reverse knife hand strike travel in opposite directions and have entirely different body mechanics whereas the turning kick with the instep and ball of the foot travel in the same direction and have virtually the same body mechanics..

Hmmm, Inward Knifehand strike and front strike with reverse knifehand travel from the shoulder line toward the center line . Knifehand and reverse knifehand can and are also both used for downward strikes / breaks. So, while I will grant you that Knifehand mostly is used in an outward direction and reverse knifehand in an inward direction, they don't always travel in opposite directions.

While not a perfect system the name of the "Tool" (surface0 and the reverse designation is used for items that are somewhat opposite i.e. Knifehand / reverse Knifehand. , footsword / revers footsword, turning kick / reverse turning kick.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, Inward Knifehand strike and front strike with reverse knifehand travel from the shoulder line toward the center line . Knifehand and reverse knifehand can and are also both used for downward strikes / breaks. So, while I will grant you that Knifehand mostly is used in an outward direction and reverse knifehand in an inward direction, they don't always travel in opposite directions.

While not a perfect system the name of the "Tool" (surface0 and the reverse designation is used for items that are somewhat opposite i.e. Knifehand / reverse Knifehand. , footsword / revers footsword, turning kick / reverse turning kick.
I think the “opposite direction” was in relation to the hand, rather than absolute directions.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm, Inward Knifehand strike and front strike with reverse knifehand travel from the shoulder line toward the center line .

Yes but the orientation of the hand is turned the opposite way up. The knife hands and their equivalent reverse hand strikes (palm up, arm bent and palm down, arm mostly straight) travel in opposite directions in each case.

Knifehand and reverse knifehand can and are also both used for downward strikes / breaks.

Yes but they have different body mechanics and hand orientation. The downward reverse knife hand is very much like the outside to inside reverse knife hand and the downwards knife hand is also much like the outside to inside version of the knife hand, but both with the same situation as the above comment.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hmmm, Inward Knifehand strike and front strike with reverse knifehand travel from the shoulder line toward the center line .
Yes but the orientation of the hand is turned the opposite way up. The knife hands and their equivalent reverse hand strikes (palm up, arm bent and palm down, arm mostly straight) travel in opposite directions in each case.

You are of course correct that that on techniques moving from the shoulder line toward the center arm is somewhat bent at the elbow for KH which is palm up and arm is staright for RKH. I do not understand how or why you think that thy "Travel in opposite directions " since they both travel from the shoulder line to the center line. Similarly downward strikes still go vertically from High to low. What am I missing?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not understand how or why you think that thy "Travel in opposite directions " since they both travel from the shoulder line to the center line.

KH with palm up and arm bent goes from outside to inside. RKH with palm up and arm bent goes from inside to outside, ie. opposite directions.

KH with palm down and arm straight goes from inside to outside. RKH with palm down and arm straight goes from outside to inside, ie. opposite directions.

Similarly downward strikes still go vertically from High to low. What am I missing?

KH palm in, RKH palm out.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
KH with palm up and arm bent goes from outside to inside. RKH with palm up and arm bent goes from inside to outside, ie. opposite directions.

KH with palm down and arm straight goes from inside to outside. RKH with palm down and arm straight goes from outside to inside, ie. opposite directions.

KH palm in, RKH palm out.

Now, I get your point. Thank You.

Latest Discussions