Wing Chun Vs MMA .... Why So Serious?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

mysurvive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You can keep that crappy video.

I prefer to use my bandwidth on something a bit more inspiring.

[video=youtube_share;VUZkNxq7A1Y]http://youtu.be/VUZkNxq7A1Y[/video]

Now THAT'S Wing Chun. The epitome of efficiency. He barely moves at all... the whole video... and those young bucks are just flying around. Did you see the power in that 'one inch punch?' I'm surprised that guy's shoulder was still in it's socket. Great video, I'm adding it to my favorites on my youtube.

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Now THAT'S Wing Chun. The epitome of efficiency. He barely moves at all... the whole video... and those young bucks are just flying around. Did you see the power in that 'one inch punch?' I'm surprised that guy's shoulder was still in it's socket. Great video, I'm adding it to my favorites on my youtube.

Here's a link to an interesting article I found By Tsui sheung Tin (the guy in the video) known as king of Siu nim tau, on the 1st form;
http://www.tstvingtsun.bc.ca/HiddenPowerOfSNT_remix.html

mysurvive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a link to an interesting article I found By Tsui sheung Tin (the guy in the video) known as king of Siu nim tau, on the 1st form;
http://www.tstvingtsun.bc.ca/HiddenPowerOfSNT_remix.html

I was teaching a small class once a long time ago , it was late in the afternoon not many people around in the school , and I had to demonstrate a low heel kick.
Quietly sitting over on the other side of the room watching me was Sigung Tsui.

He was in town to visit my Sifu , and he was in the school just relaxing after his returning from his usual hour long walk.
I don't think I have ever been so nervous teaching a technique in my life as with him watching me , I kept thinking he's going to come over in a minute and say that's wrong here's how it's supposed to be done.

Which was quite stupid of me because he only speaks cantonese.
In the end he didn't say anything so I took it he thought it was alright.

mysurvive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was teaching a small class once a long time ago , it was late in the afternoon not many people around in the school , and I had to demonstrate a low heel kick.

He was in town to visit my Sifu , and he was in the school just relaxing after his returning from his usual hour long walk.
I don't think I have ever been so nervous teaching a technique in my life as with him watching me , I kept thinking he's going to come over in a minute and say that's wrong here's how it's supposed to be done.

Even if he did, would you have been so embarrassed? I would be honored for someone of his authority to correct me. Not saying that you wouldn't feel honored... but even if I had done it correctly, I would have wanted him to come over and give input. That's an awesome experience though.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm not a wing chun man by any stretch of the imagination, but after watching that video I hope that I have the same level of skill that men like that possess in 1 of their fingers by the time I'm that age. Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even if he did, would you have been so embarrassed? I would be honored for someone of his authority to correct me. Not saying that you wouldn't feel honored... but even if I had done it correctly, I would have wanted him to come over and give input. That's an awesome experience though.

Not so much embarrassed but more dissapointed that I might of messed it up in front of him.
I was quite a new junior instructor then and still a bit self conscious about teaching and talking in front of a group , let alone my master's master.
But now years later , knowing what type of person he is , he wouldn't embarrass an instructor in front of a group students anyway if they did something incorrect.
He might have a quiet word later , but he wouldn't do it in front of students.

OP
StormShadow

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The reason behind me posting that youtube vid of mma guys going out of there way to bash wing chun was to illustrate the point, people do not seem to understand the difference between a combat sport and a combat art for actual fighting. If you put any pure 1 style martial artist in a mma ring they will likely fail. For stance, a pure muy tai guy vs a mma guy of jkd, boxing, kickboxing and bjj. MMA guys are using multiple arts that have been stripped of techniques do to rules while a guy in one style has to also strip his techniques leaving him with few options as opposed to someone with multiple style under there belt.

Even though the styles they are using are somewhat stripped as well, they have multiple to draw from as opposed to one. This does not hold true on the street though. There is no stripping of styles. There is only the efficiency, power, speed, will and intelligence of the fighter. Pulling from the example above, the mma guy may win in the ring, but outside the ring, the muy tai guy is free to use a barrage of elbows knees and other techniques that would be otherwise forbidden. It is a fallacy that many of the mma community try to judge a martial art based on its effectiveness in the octagon. You have to judge it based on it's effectiveness in the street.

OP
StormShadow

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Trust me, that video I posted is not in my favorites.

OP
StormShadow

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score

What is the last technique he performed in the video?... he did something with his finger

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the last technique he performed in the video?... he did something with his finger

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I don't think he's actually using his finger. It looks to me like he's pointing to the angle of his forearm and then is using elbow force to disrupt his balance.

OP
StormShadow

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, I couldn't really make it out. The only thing I viewed was the guy seemed to be grabbing his arm and as he moves his finger down his arm the guy looks like something hit him.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Learning to fight, eh? Do you get into a lot of fights? Use the wing chun to fight regularly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
StormShadow

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No not regularly. I'm a pretty peaceful guy so I don't look for fights. I'm a little over a month into wing chun training so I'm trying to absorb everything. I've trained in boxing and jkd in the past.

OP
StormShadow

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Found this little link on youtube on how to deal with a kickboxer... I like the techniques used.

Last edited by a moderator:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I couldn't really make it out. The only thing I viewed was the guy seemed to be grabbing his arm and as he moves his finger down his arm the guy looks like something hit him.

Yak Sao is right.
He's getting the guy to put his hand on his elbow to try and resist his Biu Tse elbow strike and indicating with his finger what direction his force is going in.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No not regularly. I'm a pretty peaceful guy so I don't look for fights. I'm a little over a month into wing chun training so I'm trying to absorb everything. I've trained in boxing and jkd in the past.
Whew. Glad to hear that. When you said you're studying a combat art that's for actual fighting, it seemed reasonable to presume that you are, you know, actually fighting. That is, after all, what you think the combat art you're learning is for. Right?

OP
StormShadow

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you mean sparring or actually "I'm trying to kill you" fighting? Sparring, yes. Have I used wing chun in a fight? no. Have I used boxing and jdk in a fight.. yes.. against a wrestler and his hands never made contact long enough to take me down. I'm not competing, nor am I training for a competitive sport. I'm training for real life situations and to be able to call upon it when I need it. I am also training for the enlightenment of learning different arts and applications of how their principles apply to life. So in all, I'm not merely learning a combat art to fight, where i'm from most people do not fight; they shoot. All the martial arts in the world won't stand against an automatic weapon. I am learning for the principles, the knowledge, the experience, combat, and because I love it.

Latest Discussions