Wing Chun an modern hyrid?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
This article piqued my curiosity so I did a little searching.
Check out the beginning of this....the guy is basically doing the Biu Tse form, only from a horse stance.

http://youtu.be/fh-SjGIistU

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
See , us Wing Chun guys were into this mixed martial art business years before everybody else jumped on the band wagon.

Maybe that's why MMA guys hate us so much...what's the saying?, " the pioneers get the arrows"

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As well as being similar to what I've seen of the third form, some of the movements seems very reminiscent of the later Shotokan Karate kata I remember from when I was doing Karate as a kid. Probably due more to the limited number of movements the body is able to make than any direct link, but you never know.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sure looks like it , a few stylised flourishes here and there , but basically it is the Biu Tse form in a low horse stance.

Actually, I think he is performing a version of Biu Tze from WC, using a "square stance" or high horse. This set is followed by others using a deeper horse. Just because it's a Hakka festival doesn't mean the martial arts demo is 100% Hakka. These days things are probably pretty blended. Everyone watches the same movies, maybe even youtube clips.... Heck I'm a Yank and I don't play American football or train boxing for self-defense, if you catch my drift.

Last edited:
OP
W

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I think he is performing a version of Biu Tze from WC, using a "square stance" or high horse. This set is followed by others using a deeper horse. Just because it's a Hakka festival doesn't mean the martial arts demo is 100% Hakka. These days things are probably pretty blended. Everyone watches the same movies, maybe even youtube clips.... Heck I'm a Yank and I don't play American football or train boxing for self-defense, if you catch my drift.

So what is your take on the Hakka utilize triangle footwork and complex hand techniques similar to that of WC as mentioned in the article?

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Guys correct me if i'm wrong but the story goes 5 monks in various disciplines came together to create wing chun which was a mixture of various styles stripped down for absolute effectiveness and economy of movement. Is this not mixed martial arts?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys correct me if i'm wrong but the story goes 5 monks in various disciplines came together to create wing chun which was a mixture of various styles stripped down for absolute effectiveness and economy of movement. Is this not mixed martial arts?

According to our lineage , the Buddist nun Ng Mui was already highly skilled in five different styles of Kung Fu.
But she felt that they required too much brute strength in their execution and thought that there must be a better way.

Hence she came up with the Wing Chun system , after allegedly witnessing a fight between a stork and a rodent , or a snake and a crane depending on what you want to believe.
The question remains , what were those five precursor styles that Wing Chun is supposedly condensed from , and who were the monks that supposedly taught her those styles?

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
According to our lineage , the Buddist nun Ng Mui was already highly skilled in five different styles of Kung Fu.
But she felt that they required too much brute strength in their execution and thought that there must be a better way.

Hence she came up with the Wing Chun system , after allegedly witnessing a fight between a stork and a rodent , or a snake and a crane depending on what you want to believe.
The question remains , what were those five precursor styles that Wing Chun is supposedly condensed from , and who were the monks that supposedly taught her those styles?

These are questions that we may never find the answers too. But i'm ok with that as I'm sure you are as well. But, it would certainly be nice to lift truth out of legend.

Latest Discussions