Wing Chun Boxing

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't load the lead leg if there is no lead leg to load.

So you really believe that in those two videos I posted of "pure WSLVT" that no one ever had one leg in front of the other as a lead leg? :rolleyes:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you really believe that in those two videos I posted of "pure WSLVT" that no one ever had one leg in front of the other as a lead leg? :rolleyes:

Not where you were pointing.

No one had a forward-weighted lead-rear stance, anyway.

VT doesn't have lunging punches like WB.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not where you were pointing.

No one had a forward-weighted lead-rear stance, anyway.

VT doesn't have lunging punches like WB.

No one said anything about lunging punches. You said the guy couldn't have a forward-weighted stance because there was no lead leg. He most certainly had a lead leg!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes he did.
No he didn't.
Yes he did!
No he didn't
Yes!!
No.

Excellent example of adult discussion.

Lots of movement and attacking from squared position, from a left lead, from a right lead.
Threw a few kicks from almost square stance and from both leads with the rear leg...very tough to do without being weighted on the opposite leg.
Also there were several, In My viewing an opinion, punches being done from a front weighted leg.
But then maybe I have a different understanding of a front weighted leg that others.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you don't allow your opponent to put weight on his leading leg, he can't punch you.

What?!? You never saw a punch delivered with the rear leg bearing the weight? That's the core of the VT system I train. And I can get nearly as much power out of my back weighted VT punches as I can get from my forward weighted drop-stepping Escrima punches. It's all in the kinetic linkages.

Reactions: KPM

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excellent example of someone trying to deny reality! ;)

You have not tried to show exactly who and when you think they did this.

But, even if it happened, it's not because it's the VT method. Humans tend to make errors, of course.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What?!? You never saw a punch delivered with the rear leg bearing the weight? That's the core of the VT system I train. And I can get nearly as much power out of my back weighted VT punches as I can get from my forward weighted drop-stepping Escrima punches. It's all in the kinetic linkages.
Your opponent is a moving object. To assume that your opponent will run into your punch is not realistic, you have to move forward and get him.

static punch (back foot is not moving) < dynamic punch (back foot is moving)

To achieve "back foot moving", you have to put weight on your leading leg.

No shifting weight from back leg into leading leg -> no forward momentum in your punch -> limited power generation in your punch

Distance is another issue.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I beg to differ sir. It will depend on range. We do so in Wing Chun quite a bit and in Pekiti-Tirsia Kali as well.
Range will dictate different actions.
You can punch when you sit on a wheelchair, but it doesn't mean anything. There are 2 issues here to consider.

1. Power generation issue:

If you don't have

- body rotation,
- forward momentum,

where will your punching power come from?

2. Distance issue:

If your opponent is outside of your punching range, without stepping forward, how can your punch be able to land on him?

Last edited:

webmaster786

White Belt
Reaction score
The Most common features of Wing Chun are trapping hands. This classical Wing Chun technique can be explained as the act of passing over and then trapping the arms of your attacker’s. This move involves an intensity of skill since you need to manipulate the attacker’s arms. That's why, Wing Chun trapping can be better powerful and comparatively effectual to a self defense fight than a boxing, kickboxing, or Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) match.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can punch when you sit on a wheelchair, but it doesn't mean anything. There are 2 issues here to consider.

1. Power generation issue:

If you don't have

- body rotation,
- forward momentum,

where will your punching power come from?

2. Distance issue:

If your opponent is outside of your punching range, without stepping forward, how can your punch be able to land on him?
Forward intent and subsequent momentum comes from moving forward and is driven off the rear leg. Weight has to momentarily be on the front but the rear immediately is re-positioned but the body weight is not driven over the front foot. Torque is driven by the hip. (you say you have training WC so you should know this).
Power is through muscle expansion or contraction, body displacement, and rotational force which is developed from training drills within SNT & Chum Kiu. (again if you have trained WC you would know this)

If my opponent is outside my punching range punching is futile.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you have to step in to punch your opponent? When you step in, you either step in your

- leading leg and your back leg follow, or
- back leg and your leading leg advance, or
- back leg in front of your leading leg (this will involve with switching sides).

In all cases, you have to put weight on your leading foot.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Forward intent and subsequent momentum comes from moving forward and is driven off the rear leg. Weight has to momentarily be on the front but the rear immediately is re-positioned but the body weight is not driven over the front foot. Torque is driven by the hip. (you say you have training WC so you should know this).
Power is through muscle expansion or contraction, body displacement, and rotational force which is developed from training drills within SNT & Chum Kiu. (again if you have trained WC you would know this)

But you are still going to need weight on that front foot when you connect or you will fall over.

pretty sure you can't punch hard and lift that front foot to defend something at the same time. Even thai boxers don't do that.

You do move and punch though?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have a look at boxing and foot weight. You will generally find the hips are pretty centered. Most boxers are punching from the hip or the feet and using movement to generate power.

You still have to be able to move that front foot. Or you can't move.

Reactions: KPM

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you have to step in to punch your opponent? When you step in, you either step in your

- leading leg and your back leg follow, or
- back leg and your leading leg advance, or
- back leg in front of your leading leg (this will involve with switching sides).

In all cases, you have to put weight on your leading foot.
We are driving off the rear foot on contact. Because of the hip placement one can have 50/50 distribution or more to the rear usually 60/40 when in a lead.
As I stated referring to WC: "Weight has to momentarily be on the front but the rear immediately is re-positioned but the body weight is not driven over the front foot." Unless Kicking or Kneeing with the rear.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
It doesn't really make a lot of sense I suppose to someone with no Wing Chun experience, mostly because the mechanics are very different to boxing, but you can actually generate a fair bit of power with that little straight punch. There are two ways that I know of.

The first is to use your front leg to pull the back one. The weight remains on the back foot aside from a second where the front foot grips with the toe and pulls the body behind it as the back foot, and all of the body weight, come forward. Timing this forward shift with the punch does generate some serious power.

The second way is to shift stance from one foot to the other, timing the punch with the rotational shift. This generates even more power.

In both instances most of the weight is on the back foot on impact.

Latest Discussions