Wing Chun Boxing

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. So we are talking about wing chun cross training with a working style. So why have we included VT in this?

I don't see what it brings to the table.

Then stop bashing on it.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
lets put it this way. When we see chunners fight they do tend to start winding with their punches.

which becomes this fun game of yes he did. No he didn't. But still.

Classic example of the VT hook punch at play here.

These people are obviously not trained to fight. As usual, we see sloppy kickboxing in place of any of these so called techniques.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The knockout punch was what they call a "whipping punch" that starts wide and drops the elbow as it comes in.

Not a WB punch, or a common punching method, anyway. As I said, he has gone to lengths to show that his WC is not WB, but Chinese Boxing. They are not the same.

Yeah that whipping punch is not common at all.

Jesus.

Edit.

And looking at that punch the elbow was so far on impact he could started flying.

No it wasnt.

yes it was.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
These people are obviously not trained to fight. As usual, we see sloppy kickboxing in place of any of these so called techniques.

Yeah but kickboxing is not a style brought in to these full contact dynamics.

It is the result of these full contact dynamics.

I am not sure what people expect to happen.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
you said VAST amounts so its up to you to show that the numbers are indeed VAST. How were you thinking of evidencing that?
How would I evidence that the sky is blue? It's right there.

Take ANY school of ANY style the does just drilling and forms, which is the majority of all traditional martial arts, and even a good deal of these newer ones, and there's your number. It is indeed vast.

Those two activities are not, and never will be, fighting. Nor are they similar activities, and I see no evidence that those that are good at drilling and forms/kata can translate that to fighting any more than they could to cooking or gardening.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah that whipping punch is not common at all.

Jesus.

Not the same punch at all. That was just straight.

You need some slow-mo on the whipping punch. Starts wide and drops the elbow as it comes in before landing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How would I evidence that the sky is blue? It's right there.

Take ANY school of ANY style the does just drilling and forms, which is the majority of all traditional martial arts, and even a good deal of these newer ones, and there's your number. It is indeed vast.

Those two activities are not, and never will be, fighting. Nor are they similar activities, and I see no evidence that those that are good at drilling and forms/kata can translate that to fighting any more than they could to cooking or gardening.
id be Interested in seeing you prove that the sky is actually blue.
you just continuing to make wild claims with no evidence what so ever.
so provide evidence,that a) the sky is blue and b) that the numbers are vast. these are both claims made by you,I await your evidence

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not the same punch at all. That was just straight.

You need some slow-mo on the whipping punch. Starts wide and drops the elbow as it comes in before landing.

No it doesn't.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
id be Interested in seeing you prove that the sky is actually blue.
you just continuing to make wild claims with no evidence what so ever.
so provide evidence,that a) the sky is blue and b) that the numbers are vast. these are both claims made by you,I await your evidence
I already answered that. What claim do you find 'wild'? That forms and drilling are not the same activity as fighting, or that many if not most traditional martial arts do only drilling and forms/kata?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I already answered that. What claim do you find 'wild'? That forms and drilling are not the same activity as fighting, or that many if not most traditional martial arts do only drilling and forms/kata?

Obviously the latter is a wild claim.

Have you been to most TCMA schools in the world? Have you even been out of the country?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You also said you couldn't tell which was the chunner on a video that says Best Wing Chun KO.

So, you are just trolling to style-bash WC/VT.

I am trolling?

You are suggesting Ving Tsun invented the overhand. Then suggested it was uncommon. And previously suggested that boxing style power generation is incompatable with VT or WC.

Seriously do you guys just reinvent boxing stuff?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
expressly I want you to provide evidence to your wild claim that the numbers are VAST and you latest wilder claim that the sky is blue.
are you able to do that?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Obviously the latter is a wild claim.

Have you been to most TCMA schools in the world? Have you even been out of the country?
No, but I have been to hundreds of dojos and clubs of various styles. And I'd wager you don't even know what country I'm from, but yes, I've been out of it. I've been all over the world. Ive seen thai boxers in Thailand, Ive seen kung fu schools in China. Very Very few of them do anything even vaguely resembling fighting.(excluding the thai boxers..those guys are animals)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
expressly I want you to provide evidence to your wild claim that the numbers are VAST and you latest wilder claim that the sky is blue.
are you able to do that?
I already have. If your brain can't process the fact(as it obviously can't process metaphor) that's for you to figure out.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I already have. If your brain can't process the fact(as it obviously can't process metaphor) that's for you to figure out.
no you haven't, making wild claims that you have provided evidence about your wild claims now.
let's go back
please provide evidence that the numbers are vast, that is EVIDENCE, data stats that sort of thing, not some mumbo jumbo
and then that the sky is blue, you haven't even attempted that one

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are suggesting Ving Tsun invented the overhand.

The Iron Wolves fighter was neither doing VT, nor throwing an overhand.

VT doesn't use the whipping punch or overhand.

Then suggested it was uncommon.

Never said anything about an overhand.

And previously suggested that boxing style power generation is incompatable with VT or WC.

The Iron Wolves fighter was not doing VT, and I've said nothing in regards to compatibility between boxing and other WC systems, only that CSLWC is not WB.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
no you haven't, making wild claims that you have provided evidence about your wild claims now.
let's go back
please provide evidence that the numbers are vast, that is EVIDENCE, data stats that sort of thing, not some mumbo jumbo
and then that the sky is blue, you haven't even attempted that one

Oh, so you need emperical data showing that a large amount of so called martial schools teach only katas/forms and drilling?

You insisting on proof of the sky being blue reads as self satire regarding your first demand. You would rather argue than look up, which is why discussing anything with you is a waste of time. You're a wall.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Iron Wolves fighter was neither doing VT, nor throwing an overhand.

VT doesn't use the whipping punch or overhand.

Never said anything about an overhand.

The Iron Wolves fighter was not doing VT, and I've said nothing in regards to compatibility between boxing and other WC systems, only that CSLWC is not WB.

Pretty sure your first post off the bat was about WC and WB.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Adapting Wing Chun Techniques for Boxing"

Yeah. It appears he started with incomplete Wing Chun, i.e.; techniques devoid of fighting strategy.

So, he went to look for similar techniques in Western Boxing to figure out how to apply stuff in a fight, and just ended up mimicking WB overall, while still calling it "Wing Chun Boxing" so he can be the "founder" of something with traditional kung fu roots but effective.

I think if your Wing Chun isn't really working, you'd be better off just learning boxing than trying to create something by mixing nonfunctional bits with boxing, especially if you've found similar, functional bits already existing in boxing.

If he can make "Wing Chun Boxing" work, it's because of the strategy and techniques as they already exist in boxing. In other words... it's because of the boxing.

Of course, the ego and bank account will be better off if you're a "creator" of a "style", rather than just a guy who cross trains WC and WB.

Latest Discussions