Wing Chun Boxing

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ Two guys screwing around. Neither one wanted to look bad on camera. Wing Chun guy in particular looked like crap.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL..."My background is in, I've competed in fencing so you'll see my footwork come out. I've done wing chun so look for some chain punches, and I've done tricking so look for some crazy kicks." Tricking...showmanship...as in not really kicking someone who is also trying to kick you as well.

"So what's your background my man? primarily boxing, been doing that for a number of years and then grew up watching wrestling, there's definitely a lot of grappling in my life..." Huh? So watching wrestling growing up is a lot of grappling in his life. LOL!!

Both look terrible for both wing chun and boxing especially have done that for several years.

Then he states they have done fight scenes for years so they are very good at just tagging each other, we are very good at timing.

The one thing I have no concern with is sparring is communicating not arguing. However, both of these gentlemen need to spend a lot more time sparring and quit talking about how much experience or skill they have.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
LOL..."My background is in, I've competed in fencing so you'll see my footwork come out. I've done wing chun so look for some chain punches, and I've done tricking so look for some crazy kicks." Tricking...showmanship...as in not really kicking someone who is also trying to kick you as well.

"So what's your background my man? primarily boxing, been doing that for a number of years and then grew up watching wrestling, there's definitely a lot of grappling in my life..." Huh? So watching wrestling growing up is a lot of grappling in his life. LOL!!

Both look terrible for both wing chun and boxing especially have done that for several years.

Then he states they have done fight scenes for years so they are very good at just tagging each other, we are very good at timing.

The one thing I have no concern with is sparring is communicating not arguing. However, both of these gentlemen need to spend a lot more time sparring and quit talking about how much experience or skill they have.

Have you honestly ever tried Wing Chun - Boxing?

I have, its really uncomfortable with boxing gloves, sparring without them is certainly the most convenient of ways to do it.

The touch sensitivity is not really in place neither is the angulation, its more of a hybrid trapping hands and counter strike if that explains my point at all in a clear way.

I linked that video to demonstrate that very reason and they are having fun and experimenting thats all part of the broader sense of learning, so to speak.

Here is a one that is a lot more on the serious side enjoy...................

I really want to here your comments now?

Also the comment made on the video should have given you a clue "Sparring is a conversation not an argument", first being young and learning that they are just showcasing what they have learned, no need to be anal about it LOL

Last edited:

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I have, its really uncomfortable with boxing gloves, sparring without them is certainly the most convenient of ways to do it.

The touch sensitivity is not really in place neither is the angulation, its more of a hybrid trapping hands and counter strike if that explains my point at all in a clear way.

I linked that video to demonstrate that very reason and they are having fun and experimenting thats all part of the broader sense of learning, so to speak.

Also the comment made on the video should have given you a clue "Sparring is a conversation not an argument", first being young and learning that they are just showcasing what they have learned, no need to be anal about it LOL
IMO it's a video showing two guys playing around & having a little fun. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm not going to critique their technique because it looks as if they're just messing around.

However, the title is misleading, it is not by my definition sparring, let alone full contact sparring.

I'm guessing the title is labeled as such to grab attention. If not, and they truly believe this to be full contact sparring, pulled strikes and all, then it's evident neither has ever trained for real full contact fighting. That kind of delusion can lead to a false sense of ability.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO it's a video showing two guys playing around & having a little fun. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm not going to critique their technique because it looks as if they're just messing around.

However, the title is misleading, it is not by my definition sparring, let alone full contact sparring.

I'm guessing the title is labeled as such to grab attention. If not, and they truly believe this to be full contact sparring, pulled strikes and all, then it's evident neither has ever trained for real full contact fighting. That kind of delusion can lead to a false sense of ability.

My thoughts exactly! That video is labeled "Wing Chun vs. Boxing: Real Sparring".....which it wasn't. It was two guys screwing around and neither wanted to look bad for the camera! And that's fine. But to brag about their backgrounds, call a video "real sparring" and then to look that bad while doing it should be a bit embarrassing for them! ;)

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly! That video is labeled "Wing Chun vs. Boxing: Real Sparring".....which it wasn't. It was two guys screwing around and neither wanted to look bad for the camera! And that's fine. But to brag about their backgrounds, call a video "real sparring" and then to look that bad while doing it should be a bit embarrassing for them! ;)

LOL, Okay go tell him that..................... Sifu - Dr Mark Phillips - The London Wing Chun Academy |

His YouTube Channel:- Fight SCIENCE ;) Hahahaha

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

---Yes! I've been putting video lessons up on the topic! ;)

I have, its really uncomfortable with boxing gloves,

---No its not. That statement leads me to believe you haven't really seriously worked it to any extent. We train regularly both with and without gloves.

---Touch sensitivity is not what wins a fight. Do you see any real "touch sensitivity" in either of the videos you posted?

---And nothing wrong with that! But going by how they labeled the video and how they gave a background leading up to it....it sure seemed like they thought they had some kind of valuable lesson or example to share. But they were just two guys screwing around.

---Much better video! Mark Phillips is good! But again, I would say that video is mis-labeled as well. It was far from "real full contact." Neither one was really trying to take out the other. They are both much better than either of the guys in that other video. But still "playing around" mostly and not seriously trying to tag each other.

Also the comment made on the video should have given you a clue "Sparring is a conversation not an argument", first being young and learning that they are just showcasing what they have learned, no need to be anal about it

---Danny was reacting to the false bravado and the mis-labeling of the video. I agree with him. Nothing "anal" about it. And there is nothing wrong with a couple of guys having some fun sparring. But don't try to call it what it isn't and hold it out there as some kind shining example. The Wing Chun guy in that video has also put out videos along the lines of "a boxer can't touch me". Its pretty clear he would get destroyed by a good boxer!

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is what it looks like when two people are really trying to hit each other.....and without gloves!

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or how about this one?

Not particularly pretty. But this is what a real fight looks like. This is what two guys actually trying to hit each other and not just screwing around looks like. This is "real sparring."

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes. Do it often. WC vs Muay Thai, WC vs, Boxing, WC vs Kali, WC vs whatever.
In our WC training we do a lot of WC vs WC for fundamental learning but quickly have our students sparring vs our boxers, nak muays, wrestlers, and mma fighters. I am very comfortable with sparring from beginners to professional fighters.
We spar with boxing gloves, with mma type gloves, with bare hands...it's all good.
Real fighting isn't like the drills done in WC. Many people never transition from form training and drill training to real time application.
I agree they were playing around having fun and that is excellent. They came off as having a lot of experience and training. Their movements, timing, sense of distancing, attack tactics and execution say different. Is it possible they were just using poor weight distribution, movement, striking structures, etc. on purpose? Maybe but somehow I have serious doubts on that.

I like a lot of what Mark Phillips does.
The video was of them doing chi sao and mostly of Mark with his back against the wall. Good training. But that isn't sparring vs a boxer.

There are several aspects and degrees of sparring all designed for specific learning or toward sharpening one's tools and skills depending on the individuals experience. The thing is these guys in your first video embellished their years of experience training and sparring and it shows. Tricking is showmanship. Not knocking the skills it takes to do tricking. But tricking isn't sparring or fighting. Watching wrestling is not wrestling experience it is experience in watching wrestling.

No problem in good technical sparring, having fun, and enjoying the learning. I agree with that. Sparring is about learning.

Reactions: KPM
OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
On a different note, I just came across a vid for those guys (LFJ?) that said Boxing couldn't be a martial art because boxers can't handle kicks. I believe that was further up in this thread.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a different note, I just came across a vid for those guys (LFJ?) that said Boxing couldn't be a martial art because boxers can't handle kicks. I believe that was further up in this thread.

Poor strategic choices by the kicker - everything was to areas the boxer is used to protecting. But a good demonstration that the close-in guarding a boxer uses tends to be effective, regardless of the direction of attack, if the attack is to a target the boxer is accustomed to protecting.

Reactions: KPM

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Haven't seen or heard from LFJ in quite a while...wonder if he is on a vacation from forums...?

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL, Okay go tell him that..................... Sifu - Dr Mark Phillips - The London Wing Chun Academy |

His YouTube Channel:- Fight SCIENCE ;) Hahahaha
I'm saying it now, on a public forum, that isn't sparring let alone full contact.

The problem in TCMA, is that individuals like you believe displays like that video to be so.

You are free to believe in whatever you want that supports your understanding of the world, but it doesn't make it true.

Believing that video to be full contact sparring because they themselves call it that doesn't mean it is.

I don't care if this person is popular or influential because they have a YouTube channel, claims a pedigree, has a large organization, has followers, etc. So did Jim Jones, that didn't make him right either.

You asked for opinions. I gave you one, sorry you didn't like it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

He really said that, huh? One of his less enlightened moments I guess. Oh well. Carry on....