Wing Chun and Wushu

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, once again, I will clearly state that I am traditional, and the Wushu I refer to is also traditional, the modern I suggested you watch was for the sake of seeing what I was speaking of with smooth, graceful and speed. Hhhmmm, what nonsense are you exactly talking about?
It sounds like you're telling people "I do A, not B. But you should watch videos about B to see what I'm talking about."
Which is like me saying "I do TKD MDK, not KKW. But you should watch videos about KKW to see what I'm talking about."
Which is kind of odd. Or silly. Or nonsense.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, once again, I will clearly state that I am traditional, and the Wushu I refer to is also traditional, the modern I suggested you watch was for the sake of seeing what I was speaking of with smooth, graceful and speed. Hhhmmm, what nonsense are you exactly talking about?
If I am talking nonsense, it is because you are using opaque language that makes it difficult to be clear what you are talking about. I wonder if you are being deliberately deceptive for some reason?

My only purpose in entering this discussion was simply to get some clarity on what you are talking about. If you are unwilling to do that, then I am done here and will not engage any further discussion.

OP
Yanli

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, that is not what I am saying, there is the smoothness, gracefulness and speed in both traditional and modern Wushu, the only difference is that modern Wushu that people only recognize today is the performing art. Please read everything, not just a portion and make a judgement.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It sounds like you're telling people "I do A, not B. But you should watch videos about B to see what I'm talking about."
Which is like me saying "I do TKD MDK, not KKW. But you should watch videos about KKW to see what I'm talking about."
Which is kind of odd. Or silly. Or nonsense.
Question for you: I realize your comment was directed at Mr. Yanli. But given that I tried to explain in simple language the deference between Modern wushu and Traditional wushu, and how the term kung fu fits into the picture, was that clear? Were you able to follow my explanation? I’m just trying to make sure I am not accidentally being evasive or unclear or something.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, that is not what I am saying, there is the smoothness, gracefulness and speed in both traditional and modern Wushu, the only difference is that modern Wushu that people only recognize today is the performing art. Please read everything, not just a portion and make a judgement.
I did read everything. It's not my fault if you write silly things.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Question for you: I realize your comment was directed at Mr. Yanli. But given that I tried to explain in simple language the deference between Modern wushu and Traditional wushu, and how the term kung fu fits into the picture, was that clear? Were you able to follow my explanation? I’m just trying to make sure I am not accidentally being evasive or unclear or something.
You were perfectly clear.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well no that is not the only difference. Modern wushu lacks an engine under the hood to make it functional, and the physical form of the techniques was also modified for aesthetic purposes and at the expense of functionality. That foundation was removed from modern wushu, so simply studying the movement will not yield a revitalization of modern wushu as a viable combat method. It would be like taking a nerf dart gun and trying to re-engineer it to fire real bullets by studying the functionality of the dart firing capability. Nothing about that will ever work. This was all done deliberately by the Chinese government, when they created modern wushu.

I’m gonna ask once more: what is the other wushu method (traditional, I guess?) you are trying to blend with wing Chun? Why are you reluctant to name it? I am honestly just trying to understand what you are doing, since you brought up the topic and started a thread to discuss it. But it cannot be discussed if you won’t even tell us what you are doing.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb, but I believe Yanli is a native Mandarin speaker, so they do not distinguish Wu shu from Wu shu, nor should they be expected to.

The "difference" between the gymnastic sport Wushu and the traditional martial Wushu (ie combat) is a western duality. Over in China it's considered one big family. Even Sanshou is considered "sport Wushu" over there.

The truth, as always, lies in the middle.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a good video that illustrates what I mean.

You'll notice if you watch through the whole video that the gymnastics, fighting applications, weapons, and performance are all blended together.

This is what you won't see in a modern Wushu competition, that the training itself is a mix of modern performance and traditional training.

I should point out, a lot of kids are forced into this, but that's not much different than parents over here forcing their kids into various activities.

Imagine Little League with Gwan Dao, and you have modern Wushu.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Everyone, keep in mind that I am old school,

Yes, you've stated that many times. What does the term 'old school' mean to you and how should we take your meaning of it in order to discuss with you the topic of you merging _____ with wing chun?

I blend Wushu with Wing Chun

I'm curious as to your reasons behind the blending? What wing chun did you learn? From whom? And did you learn the entire system before you felt the need to blend/merge it with "Wushu"?

I do plan on making a video in the near future

I look forward to this since it is obvious it may help clarify things quite a bit. Thanks in advance for making it and posting it here.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I blend Wushu with Wing Chun, the reason I do this is because it helps one make their moves smoother and more graceful, this in turn adds speed and power to a move.
The definition of "graceful" is "having or showing grace or elegance". Does it only have meaning in performance?

Do you intend to make WC into a performance art?

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb, but I believe Yanli is a native Mandarin speaker, so they do not distinguish Wu shu from Wu shu, nor should they be expected to.
My issue is this seems to be one side of the middle of an argument. It's like he's arguing that (or for what reason) he's old school, and arguing for why he is mixing wushu and wing chun. But it's like he's coming in here in the middle of an argument, and we're all just like, "Huh? What? We were fighting? When did that start?"

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think if you trained traditional Wushu you would name the system that you train specifically...

If you're doing modern/sport Wushu, that's fine -- there's no reason to hide it. There's also no need to speak so generally -- these are Martial Arts forums. The vast majority of us here are at least familiar with various arts, and have trained / are training several already.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was not aware that you study Wushu, I am glad to hear it. The only reason I suggested watching a YouTube video was so you could get an example of what I was stating. I am surprised though that your Shifu doe's not indicate how Wushu can benefit the speed and power in your movement. No I do not suggest learning from YouTube lol.

Can you find a youtube video demonstrating the wushu you are trying to describe?

Modern traditional doesn't help because this is Modern wushu as well.

MASponge1

White Belt
Reaction score
Bruh! It ain't you. I know exactly what your asking and what you mean, by what your asking.

prophet224

White Belt
Reaction score
My issue is this seems to be one side of the middle of an argument. It's like he's arguing that (or for what reason) he's old school, and arguing for why he is mixing wushu and wing chun. But it's like he's coming in here in the middle of an argument, and we're all just like, "Huh? What? We were fighting? When did that start?"
I wish there was an LOL reaction just for this. :)

prophet224

White Belt
Reaction score
If the goal is to add smoothness to your style and practice something slowly for that smoothness, then build up speed in execution later, why wouldn’t you layer something like Bagua or combat tai chi rather than the modern performance wushu?

Latest Discussions