Wing Chun and Wushu

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
@Yanli

I think it would help us if you plainly explained your background, then it would be easier for us to engage on where you are going with your training?

Which style(s) have you formally studied?
Which lineages and for how long?

I'm neither for nor against what you are claiming right now, but like many, I think I'm just trying to understand as a starting point.

I could interpret "old school" to mean that you have formal training in Wing Chun and also another, unspecified style of martial arts and that you find benefit to teaching both to your students. On the surface, I don't object, but I would like to not make assumptions if you could clarify for us.

If you are unwilling to clarify for us, I'm not sure why you started this discussion.

Reaction score
Everyone, keep in mind that I am old school, and what I state may be different from what is taught today or near past. There are those that may disagree and argue what I say, you are more then welcomed to do so in a respectful manner, but test my statement first, before arguing with it.
In my MA, I blend Wushu with Wing Chun, the reason I do this is because it helps one make their moves smoother and more graceful, this in turn adds speed and power to a move. This is something I could argue till I am blue in the face, which I somewhat have lol. There is no way for me to explain it in technical term's, this is something you have to practice for yourself. Wing Chun and Wushu have many similarities and differences, to start with, WING Chun has more of an upward stance and Wushu has more of a lower stance. Both of these forms have similar moves to Kung Fu because they are a part of Kung Fu, however, Wing Chun is a direct line, as were Wushu is more circler like Kung Fu. There is also many questions on Wushu being more of a performance art then a combative form, well here is a link indicating that it was originally a fighting form, "What Is the Martial Art of Wushu?", there are those that still do use it more combative then performance. If you watch the aggressive Wushu on YouTube, you will greatly see the speed and power behind the form. I am sure many of you have seen video's and movies on Wing Chun, there are those that have argued that one should strike first if you want to win, that is not always true. When you make a strike first, you are opening yourself up, if, you manage to get a strike in, great. But always consider if you do not get that first strike in, and all the ways you have opened yourself up to counters. All of Wing Chun's moves have a defensive posture to it, just as Wushu, however, Wushu is not primarily a defensive form as WC.
Both forms use the same type of strikes and block's, but WC is more tightly in, compared to WU, WU uses higher kicks then WC, and as mentioned before, WC has more of a upward stance compared to WU lower stance. What many are not aware with both forms, they use a Tai Chi strengthening of the arm and hand as they strike or block. This technique is where you slowing strengthen your muscles as your approaching the target, this allows for not wasting energy, directing your strength, and making your moves smoother. Both forms use the same stances for various movements, and both slide the foot for some movements. There are certain techniques that WC has that I do not think WU has, but I use "I do not think" loosely, I do not know everything about Wushu. Know, save this posting, I will never admit again that I do not know everything lol. The certain techniques are only taught to those that have reached the right level of achievement. These are the common or basic differences, there are more minor subtle differences, but not worth getting into. I do plan on making a video in the near future touching on many of these issues

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the goal is to add smoothness to your style and practice something slowly for that smoothness, then build up speed in execution later, why wouldn’t you layer something like Bagua or combat tai chi rather than the modern performance wushu?

Because acro is really go at developing body awareness.

This is ido portal. But is getting traction in combat sports.

This is plyometrics.

These are the tools needed to do an aerial in wushu.

Last edited:
OP
Yanli

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I did read everything. It's not my fault if you write silly things.
Instead of being rude and disrespectful, why not just point out the statement's that gave you the impression that you got. This is not an attitude I would expect from a man of your age, a fellow MA, and I gather you are an instructor as well?

OP
Yanli

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
If the goal is to add smoothness to your style and practice something slowly for that smoothness, then build up speed in execution later, why wouldn’t you layer something like Bagua or combat tai chi rather than the modern performance wushu?
With teaching for 41 years, I have found that Wushu has given a basic form to better help them achieve the speed and grace, and yes, I have tried many other ways, but some students just have trouble with speed and grace.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I smell something in the air here...and it's not a pleasant smell.

In 41 years of teaching wing chun...

You haven't figured out how to do it smoothly or gracefully.

So you have decided that adding wushu..which you first stated was a traditional style you couldn't name and later admitted you saw in 'youtube videos' (which would mean a modem dance style), is the only way..in 41 years...that you have been able to teach your students without them being herky jerky in their movements.

Right then. Seems totally legit.

OP
Yanli

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I smell something in the air here...and it's not a pleasant smell.

In 41 years of teaching wing chun...

You haven't figured out how to do it smoothly or gracefully.

So you have decided that adding wushu..which you first stated was a traditional style you couldn't name and later admitted you saw in 'youtube videos' (which would mean a modem dance style), is the only way..in 41 years...that you have been able to teach your students without them being herky jerky in their movements.

Right then. Seems totally legit.
Instead of being sarcastic and disrespectful, maybe you should learn to read better. I would re-explain, but you just want something to rag about.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Instead of being sarcastic and disrespectful, maybe you should learn to read better. I would re-explain, but you just want something to rag about.
No. I read every word. Good luck with all that.

OP
Yanli

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
For 1, I never said herky jerky, apparently you never taught MA, for 2, I stated it helps add grace and speed. You stated you did read everything, maybe you should ask more questions if you have trouble comprehending instead of being rude and disrespectful. I am guessing you either are not at the age where you fully learned about respect, or your family and instructor did not fully emphasize that to you, good luck at properly growing and learning.

OP
Yanli

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can understance that speed is important. What's the usage of "grace"?
The smoother your hand movements are, the faster, more powerful, and more accurate your movements will be. You can not get full speed if your movements are stiff, which many students struggle with.

Latest Discussions