Wii and martial art fitness

MattNinjaZX-14

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are there any Wii games that improve martial arts or physical fitness ?

Also are there any competitors out there that helps improve the martial arts and physical fitness videogames ?

The age of hi-tech martial arts & physical fitness genre is finally here and would like to stay on the cutting edge. Thank you.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While something like wii boxing can help burn off a few calories, i seriously doubt there is any game type device out there that could improve martial ability in any way.

Look at dance dance revolution, that doesn't really make people better dancers now does it?

OP
MattNinjaZX-14

MattNinjaZX-14

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That is true. It would be more of burning the calories type of thing correct ?

I am surprised there is nothing on the market like this.

They should have by now.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wii... is a game..... you are not a yoga master if you do Wii Yoga and you are not an Olympic Skier if you do Wii Skiing and you are not ready to take on Tiger Woods just because you are good at Wii Golf

For MA why not just use good old fashion training

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't rely on a video game to improve your skills.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In terms of general physical fitness, are you saying you haven't heard of Wii Fit?

In terms of quality sport specific fitness and skill refinement, no, "The age of hi-tech martial arts & physical fitness genre" is not here.

Go to class.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think the Yoga portion would likely be a good idea.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wii... is a game..... you are not a yoga master if you do Wii Yoga and you are not an Olympic Skier if you do Wii Skiing and you are not ready to take on Tiger Woods just because you are good at Wii Golf

For MA why not just use good old fashion training
Don't put a downer on my 280 Wii Bowling average!

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually some of the WII fit games could help you. A lot of the exercises that have to do with balance and hand\eye coordination could be useful. My wife does all the wii fit stuff and her balance, core and coordination have improved 10 fold. I am not able to keep up and I am the martial artist.

-Gary

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dig your enthusiasm for high tech/virtual world training but seriously, get out of the house and train in the gym, on the track and in the club. If you're putting what you should into your MA training, there is nothing a Wii will improve on. Why use Wii for hand-eye/reflex etc when you can do that with a buddy and focus pads?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think there is some potential for virtual training as a fun supplement to regular training. they could fairly easily make a boxing program that ran you through various combinations, checked your footwork, counted your punches, clocked their speed, did that sort of thing. i don't think it could provide much actual instruction but it could be a very entertaining & effective training tool.

actually, there are some pretty interesting ideas now that i think about it, though i think the really cool stuff would be a few generations after the first wii.

jf

OP
MattNinjaZX-14

MattNinjaZX-14

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, short of being at Langley CIA headquarters. Be nice to have those cool gadgets to make the human body go faster, hit harder and stronger. :D

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm picturing something like dolph lundgren's training sequence from rocky IV.

jf

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are there any Wii games that improve martial arts or physical fitness ?

Also are there any competitors out there that helps improve the martial arts and physical fitness videogames ?

The age of hi-tech martial arts & physical fitness genre is finally here and would like to stay on the cutting edge. Thank you.

One becomes good (or better) in the martial arts in only one way: By doing martial arts. No video game to date can correctly simulate martial training.

Wii Fit will help you exercise, and will help your overall health. However, that is not getting in "martial shape."

I recommend stance training and serious cardiovascular training. Wii fit can help you with the latter, but certainly not the former. The way I do it is I work through my forms (without resting in between) for as long as I can without getting sloppy. This is good stance and cardio work.

Just a thought :)

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While technology can be an amazing asset for training certain aspects of a skill set (think Flight Simulators - real ones, not PC based). They help with procedural training and things of that, but for real experience you need to be in the seat above the earth where the reality of crashing is a bit more present.

Latest Discussions