Wider stance after front kick before throwing roundhouse

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So in my kickboxing class this week we were working the focus mitts and we did a front kick followed by a rear roundhouse kick. So the guy I was working with who's a pro fighter said that when you land the front kick land in a wider stance so when you throw the roundhouse you get more power. So I tried this and the roundhouse kick was more powerful so it was right. But from a self defence standpoint which is my main first base if you do that you open up your groin for a strike. But really in a street fight when your moving that quick especially after landing a push kick would the attacker have time to hit the groin.

What do you guys think?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So in my kickboxing class this week we were working the focus mitts and we did a front kick followed by a rear roundhouse kick. So the guy I was working with who's a pro fighter said that when you land the front kick land in a wider stance so when you throw the roundhouse you get more power. So I tried this and the roundhouse kick was more powerful so it was right. But from a self defence standpoint which is my main first base if you do that you open up your groin for a strike. But really in a street fight when your moving that quick especially after landing a push kick would the attacker have time to hit the groin.

What do you guys think?
Landing wide takes you off the line of attack.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, forget about the front kick for a moment. If you were just throwing the rear roundhouse kick directly, it's often advantageous to step offline with the front foot first. It not only gives you more power, it also takes you out of the way of counter punches. Even though your stance is momentarily widened, you're off-line so you shouldn't really be more vulnerable to groin strikes.

Your instructor is just using the action of planting your foot after the front kick to make that step. It's more efficient than setting your foot down and then stepping out.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As far as, "from a Self Defense viewpoint," or even "from a sparring viewpoint" it's likely going to be a case by case scenario, based on timing, distancing, and what the heck is going on. I mean, It might be ideal to get that nice whipping swing in, but there are a great many situations where, as you mentioned, that specific foot placement will be disadvantageous or even tactically disastrous.

And personally, I can't ever see throwing a lead-leg front kick followed by a rear-leg round being a large part of my Self-Defense go-tos.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Double post.
Panpayak-vs-Sam-A-0243-Block-and-Teep.gif

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Less time to hit the groin. But yeah not something I would worry about too much from there.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your 1st front kick can be more than just a kick. It can be used to move in and close in the distance. The more distance that your kick can cover, the wider stance that you will end up with.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've landed the first kick with any degree of power, your opponent really shouldn't be able to effectively kick to your groin in the split second you're transitioning into the rear leg roundhouse. They should, at the very least, be off balance, and any kick they through while unbalanced will likely have negligible impact.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can't really quantify this, it's situationally dependent and we are all different fighters, we have different skill sets depending on natural ability and what kind of training we've been invoved with.

And it depends on where the fight has been and where it's going. If your initial front kick hit the the other guy as an opening salvo - it's going to be different than if your front kick was a counter or an intercept. If it's a kickboxing match it's going to depend on when it happens in regards to you. Is it the beginning of the round? Is it at the end of the fight? Are you dictating? Are you getting smoked? Are you so tired that you want to pee? Have you just tagged him with a good punch in which the front kick is a follow up? Which way does he tend to move when you kick? How has he been countering? Are you loading up for that big shot? Are you winning and on a mission?

If it's a self defense situation - I don't think a two kick combination is viable in real life. Sure, it can happen. But how often have you ever seen or heard of it? I haven't. Nor has anyone I know.

As to the opening of the hips in regard to possibly getting countered to the groin. That might happen in the dojo. But how many enemies in the street - fight like they're in a dojo?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can't really quantify this, it's situationally dependent and we are all different fighters, we have different skill sets depending on natural ability and what kind of training we've been invoved with.

And it depends on where the fight has been and where it's going. If your initial front kick hit the the other guy as an opening salvo - it's going to be different than if your front kick was a counter or an intercept. If it's a kickboxing match it's going to depend on when it happens in regards to you. Is it the beginning of the round? Is it at the end of the fight? Are you dictating? Are you getting smoked? Are you so tired that you want to pee? Have you just tagged him with a good punch in which the front kick is a follow up? Which way does he tend to move when you kick? How has he been countering? Are you loading up for that big shot? Are you winning and on a mission?

If it's a self defense situation - I don't think a two kick combination is viable in real life. Sure, it can happen. But how often have you ever seen or heard of it? I haven't. Nor has anyone I know.

As to the opening of the hips in regard to possibly getting countered to the groin. That might happen in the dojo. But how many enemies in the street - fight like they're in a dojo?

Depends if you know any kickboxers. They are mad keen for a bit of teep round kick.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

What do you guys think?
In all reality it just depends on on well you are able to do a roundhouse kick in the first place and who you are sparring against. If the front kick knocks your opponent off balance then you'll have a window of safety to kick without your opponent being able to kick you in the groin. If the front kick doesn't knock opponent off balance then you are at risk for being hit in the groin.
This video shows a good display of the openings when kicks are done. You can clearly see where the groin is open. I specifically train to hit the groin so not only would I take advantage of those openings, I would be looking for them. A person has to train to recognize the groin as a target and most people in a street fight don't even see it as a target. 99.9% of the people in a street fight don't even target the legs, let along the groin. I don't think you would have to worry about it in a self-defense situation unless you met someone like me who is waiting for opportunities to punch or kick you in the groin.

Latest Discussions