Question asked by a student

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I do a bit of teaching in my karate school and one kid asked me how would you defend yourself if someone gives you a wedgie. I didnt actually know so I said make a lot of noise so the teacher hears and tells the person off. But I was wondering if there is actually a way to get out of one, because I know it's an immature thing to do but it is a bullying move which causes pain and can hurt you and sometimes even cause permanent damage so just as a discussion point what do people think would be a good way to get out of one.

Note: I am being genuine here and not trying to be Immature that's why I didn't put the subject in the title as people might've thought I was trolling or being stupid

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a grappling hold. The answers are grappling based. It's actually very similar to the standard grip that some regional western wrestling styles used to start with.

Journal of Western Martial Art

Glima-1sm.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't think there's a secret, anti-wedgie technique, but I would assume that any tactics used would have to center around not letting the other kid get a good grip on the back of your underwear...

So, don't let them wrap their arms around you, and don't let them get behind you. In other words, don't let them do the exact things you should be teaching people to avoid in martial arts anyway.

The problem being, that I assume most wedgies are pulled off as surprise attacks, so the only real answer is, disappointingly, probably going to be awareness and not making a target of yourself.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I do a bit of teaching in my karate school and one kid asked me how would you defend yourself if someone gives you a wedgie.

1. Martial Farts

2 . Go "commando".

Now seriously, I remember getting and giving wedgies during my middle-school years. Depending on context, it can be just an inappropriate prank, or an act of ongoing bullying. In the latter case the kid needs some help. If you try to solve physically these days, the "victim" can end up worse off than the perpetrator. Especially in school.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
1. Martial Farts

2 . Go "commando".

Now seriously, I remember getting and giving wedgies during my middle-school years. Depending on context, it can be just an inappropriate prank, or an act of ongoing bullying. In the latter case the kid needs some help. If you try to solve physically these days, the "victim" can end up worse off than the perpetrator. Especially in school.

Ha going commando is a good option but probably not one I'd give to an 8 year old student lol. Yeah I know what you mean I've had them before some from friends some from bullies it all depends on the situation. If it's a friend just laugh it off and maybe call them a few rude names haha. If it's a bully then they should be stopped from doing because really if it is in a bullying context it's sexual harassment

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Flick them in the nuts.

The wegie done well is like a bums rush. It is actually fairly hard to counter.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your opponent grabs you like this, he can swing your body horizontally like casting a fish net.

How to counter it? Since your opponent's both hands are on your pants, his head is open for your attack. Your opponent has 2 hands. You have 2 hands too.

Mongolian_wrestling.jpg

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of options...
As mentioned, the Bad Guy likely has both their hands occupied. So while they're pulling on your undies, do whatever you like to their eyes, throat, groin, nose... pick any of the many lovely targets they've left open for you.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, I was picturing most of these wedgies coming from behind... I have limited experience in this field, does anyone know if they are generally performed from the front, as in the above posted pictures, or the rear, as more of a sneak attack?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wedgies can be performed from any direction. But in every case, occupying the hands with tugging exposes lots of lovely targets.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your opponent attacks you from behind, you can always use either "under hook" or "over hook" to deal with it. In the following clip, a right arm "under hook" will be a good counter. This way, you can borrow your opponent's lifting force and throw him over your right shoulder. I don't think drop down is a good counter as shown in this clip. You may resist against your opponent's lifting, but your opponent can borrow your resistance and drag you down.

Your opponent's contact point is always your free contact point if you know how to take advantage on it.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Later - when he isn't paying attention, give him an even worse wedgie. An epic wedgie, one that makes his head hit his knees. Then rip the back of his drawers over his head, lift it with both hands and give him the hardest Glasgow Kiss he's ever imagined.

Other than detention, suspension or possible expulsion - no worries about wedgies ever again.

GGjciods

White Belt
Reaction score
Later - when he isn't paying attention, give him an even worse wedgie. An epic wedgie, one that makes his head hit his knees. Then rip the back of his drawers over his head, lift it with both hands and give him the hardest Glasgow Kiss he's ever imagined.

Other than detention, suspension or possible expulsion - no worries about wedgies ever again.
That's great means. Tracking his attention and giving him a kick, might be awesome.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I am not totally against that response. I mean you will get a punishment. But you will also make the sharks hunt less psychopathic prey.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should have told him to fake cry then when the guy stops attack him either by punching him in his face or kicking him in the nuts lol.

Best solution. Wear a belt, keep shirt in, and turn around when it happens. The belt and tucked in shirt delays the a surprise grab. Turn quickly with a low block or a high block depending on where the hand is. If done fast enough the bully should be left holding the shirt. If the wrist and forearm is conditioned then the block will hurt the bully.

Either way it should prevent them from grabbing underwear. If the attack involves the bully grabbing the child first to restrain them then the child will need to learn some grabbling techniques.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You may find that if you elbow the wedgie perpetrator in the head the first time you will get less wedgies in the future.

Haha I actually did that myself once. Not from a wedgie but a pantsing. Someone was pantsing everyone and I was on edge so when they tried to do it to me i elbowed them. It wasnt deliberate it was just instinct trying to stop them doing it

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
So I do a bit of teaching in my karate school and one kid asked me how would you defend yourself if someone gives you a wedgie. I didnt actually know so I said make a lot of noise so the teacher hears and tells the person off. But I was wondering if there is actually a way to get out of one, because I know it's an immature thing to do but it is a bullying move which causes pain and can hurt you and sometimes even cause permanent damage so just as a discussion point what do people think would be a good way to get out of one.

Note: I am being genuine here and not trying to be Immature that's why I didn't put the subject in the title as people might've thought I was trolling or being stupid
Permanent damage? Is there a documented case of this? I don't see a 40 year old man that still suffers from damage related to a wedgie he received as a child. Maybe I'm just ignorant on wedgie related complications, I imagine a pretty aggressive wedgie could cause some rectal bleeding, but what permanent damage could we be talking about here?

Latest Discussions