Why so much pading?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Youre a statistician now as well?

I have a pair of eyes. There are not a hole lot of tough fighters in traditional martial arts. When a national champion in ITF loses to a worthless Muay Thai fighter, simply for not being used to full contact, my hopes aren't exactly high, given that most who train aren't national champions.

Last edited:

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a pair of eyes. There a not a hole lot of tough fighters in traditional martial arts. When a national champion in ITF loses to a worthless Muay Thai fighter, simply for not being used to full contact, my hopes aren't exactly high, given that most who train aren't national champions.

What national champion? Nothing in that video points towards that at all

It was a KO but up until that point the TKD guy held his own fairly well, you see the same thing from 2 MT guys. So its hardly representative of your point

Not to mention the guys who come from tkd/TSD and did fight MT guys successfully

Benny the Jet, Cung Le(who had no issue going to sanda from TKD), etc.

No tough guys in TMAs? Really? That right there shows a lack of knowledge,

I guess we just ignore the thousands of people every year who transition from Karate/TKD to amateur Kick boxing or MMA..... Or the hundreds of people who did it at the professional level....

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
What national champion? Nothing in that video points towards that at all

It was a KO but up until that point the TKD guy held his own fairly well, you see the same thing from 2 MT guys. So its hardly representative of your point

The ITF fighter in the clip was a national champion in Japan, in ITF. The very first blow he recieved clearly shook him up, and it wasn't even a 100% connection. Yeah right, let's bring in all time greats who have dabbled in kickboxing, in an argument for Point Fighters.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a pair of eyes. There are not a hole lot of tough fighters in traditional martial arts. When a national champion in ITF loses to a worthless Muay Thai fighter, simply for not being used to full contact, my hopes aren't exactly high, given that most who train aren't national champions.

Maybe you're just projecting your own lack of skill and experience onto other people...

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The ITF fighter in the clip was a National champion in Japan, in ITF. The very first blow he recieved clearly shook him up, and it wasn't even a 100% connection. Yeah right, let's bring in all time greats who have dabbled in kickboxing, in an argument for Point Fighters.

Because the all time greatest kickboxers, WERE point fighters...........and again, kick boxing is only full contact karate/TKD/TSD. Cung Le went from TKD to using that successfully in sanda and kick boxing.

Again, watch UFC/K1, you'll see glancing blows drop professional fighters because of the accuracy. That's hardly an indicator.

Heck, either this week or last week on UFC on Fox sports a guy nearly went down completely from a glancing blow to the solar plexus. Glancing blows win fights, seeing him go down from one glancing blow, and yet stay standing from better connections is a better indicator that the MT guy was dead on target with the 2 hits that knocked the ITF fighter down.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you're just projecting your own lack of skill and experience onto other people...

No, his kicking was nice. But that's what happens (more often than not) when point fighters step into full contact. My estimation of 8 out of 10 is me being very generous.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because the all time greatest kickboxers, WERE point fighters...........and again, kick boxing is only full contact karate/TKD/TSD. Cung Le went from TKD to using that successfully in sanda and kick boxing.

Again, watch UFC/K1, you'll see glancing blows drop professional fighters because of the accuracy. That's hardly an indicator.

Heck, either this week or last week on UFC on Fox sports a guy nearly went down completely from a glancing blow to the solar plexus. Glancing blows win fights, seeing him go down from one glancing blow, and yet stay standing from better connections is a better indicator that the MT guy was dead on target with the 2 hits that knocked the ITF fighter down.

They transitioned from point fighting to kickboxing. Is that too advanced for you?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, his kicking was nice. But that's what happens (more often than not) when point fighters step into full contact. My estimation of 8 out of 10 is me being very generous.
I'm not talking about you projecting onto him. I am talking about you projecting your lack of confidence in your own skills and abilities onto others in traditional martial arts.

Making up statistics off the top of your head and coming out with 'X would Y' statements is a sign of insecurity and a lack of maturity.

You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
They transitioned from point fighting to kickboxing. Is that too advanced for you?

Oh honey......

No they INVENTED kick boxing by sparring under full contact rules. That's really it. They didn't transition anything, they just started sparring hard. Some people had to get used to face punches, but it isn't some completely different game here.

If you watch clips of them sparring at point tournaments and Wako tourneys, the only difference is a few more punches.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
. Some people had to get used to face punches, but it isn't some completely different game here.

It is if you only train point fighting. If you train full contact, different story. But that's not the case.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here we have it.

Not a style problem

A people problem

If the style only offers point fighting sparring, since their tournaments are point fighting, it's a problem for the style. That would mean I have to visit Kickboxing and Muay Thai clubs in order to get full contact strikes (something I am not against doing but it does raise some practical problems).

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If the style only offers point fighting sparring, since their tournaments are point fighting, it's a problem for the style. That would mean I have to visit Kickboxing and Muay Thai clubs in order to get full contact strikes (something I am not against doing but it does raise some practical problems).

Who's only training for specific tournaments and expecting to perform outside of that ruleset?

Orrrr you could get with like minded folks in your school and train contact.....like most people do....

Most BJJ schools don't let people strike while grappling, but I've only met a handful of jiu jitieros who don't take the time to grapple with a striking opponent...

Anyone who goes to any styles school or gym and expects class time to have all the answers is living in a fantasy world.

Even MMA guys who compete branch out to train with styles and people outside their gym

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who's only training for specific tournaments and expecting to perform outside of that ruleset?

Orrrr you could get with like minded folks in your school and train contact.....like most people do....

Most of them want to compete in these point fighting contests, and my instructor specifically asks of us to not cause injuries because of tournaments.

I doubt the majority of TKD practioners have the balls to visit MT clubs. I will do it however, in my dobok:cool:

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
This TKD guy actually won against a kickboxer, but he was either a natural talent or used to this form of fighting.