Why Krav Maga works

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I forget the context of it, but I was watching a fighter talk about how heavy sparring takes its toll on you. Even sparring 2x a week is not good for your brain. You have to pay to play but comes with a price.

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
I forget the context of it, but I was watching a fighter talk about how heavy sparring takes its toll on you. Even sparring 2x a week is not good for your brain. You have to pay to play but comes with a price.

Yea heavy sparring can. That why I only spar at 20%.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Krav Maga is basically MMA Lite with good weapons training.

Nah. The basic training methodology is different.

Even if I had a guy who never wanted to be punched in the face. He would still be around guys who have been.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

If you mean sport MMA then there's a big difference. MMA teaches you to fight trained opponents. What weapon training are you referring to? Weapon use? Weapon Defense?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is true. Pretty much the same, with the small exceptions of how they train, what they train, their objectives and their strategies. Other than that, ya..the same.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see that, unless we use the term "MMA lite" to refer to anything that mixes material from different sources. If we do that, your statement applies to almost every school I've ever walked into.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah. The basic training methodology is different.

Even if I had a guy who never wanted to be punched in the face. He would still be around guys who have been.

At Level 1 for the noobs, it's very chaotic.....seemingly, to get people excited to sign that 1 year contract at $100-200/month. But at Level 2 (aside from the weapons training), it starts turning into more technical Muay Thai + BJJ, which is basically what most mainstream MMA is. And Level 2 is when most people don't renew their contract. Level 3 and up, the hand to hand, progress much more in terms of technical MMA with harder contact, etc.

In general, it's basically MMA Lite mostly for people who aren't ready for full MMA, as it's much rougher contact there. Not saying that you can't get as tough as MMA in Krav, but it takes longer.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If there is any connection between these things where and how you train krav, you have been fortunate. This is certainly not my experience.

I think I know exactly what you mean.

I actually like Krav and have trained at different Federations....so I think that this would be the answer. Krav has various Federations that each gym belongs to and subscribe by their rules. Some Feds, they wear Karate looking gi's with belts and it looks a lot like Karate....afterall, Krav is mostly just copying other styles' techniques.

The Krav gym that I trained the most at, was under the Alliance Federation. IMO, this is the most legit one with their toughest criteria towards earning a Black Belt is to have video proof of being in a full contact, timed, ring or cage fight for KO or submission. So no BS, constant start & stop type, light contact fighting. The guy I trained Krav under, was a legit Muay Thai fighter and a pretty good Boxer. That gym also had a legit MMA program with Ammy and Pro Fighters, and a local, Pro multiple title holder. These fighters didn't train in the Krav class though, haha. Their BJJ program was legit also with Black Belts and competition team as well as a Muay Thai team. Krav was just their biggest money maker....I trained mostly for the weapons aspect, and there were lots of pretty girls to look at in the L1 classes. There were some decent dudes who can bang at L3 and above, well more like 1 guy and mostly b/c he was big dude.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What level are you in Krav Maga?

Neither of our ranks changes Krav Maga's content. Krav is a Self Defense system at heart and teaches you exactly that, Self-Defense. Your standard Krav class won't teach how to deal with complex attacks from trained combatants.

Weapons defense and offense.
I know they teach basic weapon defense(gun disarms, knife defenses, etc), but what weapon offense training have you received? I really am curious.

IMO, this is the most legit one with their toughest criteria towards earning a Black Belt is to have video proof of being in a full contact, timed, ring or cage fight for KO or submission. So no BS, constant start & stop type, light contact fighting.
Just because certain training methods aren't for you doesn't mean they're BS. Quick explosive short sparring intervals have there use, the same goes for light-moderate contact. Anderson Silva spars light with an emphasis on technique and positioning. Hard sparring has it's place too, but there's a line between sparring hard and sparring recklessly.

The guy I trained Krav under, was a legit Muay Thai fighter and a pretty good Boxer. That gym also had a legit MMA program with Ammy and Pro Fighters, and a local, Pro multiple title holder. These fighters didn't train in the Krav class though, haha. Their BJJ program was legit also with Black Belts and competition team as well as a Muay Thai team. Krav was just their biggest money maker....I trained mostly for the weapons aspect
Okay, I can kind of see where you're coming from now. Just because you KM instructor has a background in something and incorporates it into the KM class doesn't mean it's automatically part of that style's curriculum. For example, my Filipino MA instructor has a background in wrestling and he taught us single and double leg take-downs. However, that doesn't mean that FMA in general has single/double leg take-downs. I think some of the confusion from you "MMA Lite" comment is your basing it off of your KM class opposed to the more common and widespread KM curriculum.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I can kind of see where you're coming from now. Just because you KM instructor has a background in something and incorporates it into the KM class doesn't mean it's automatically part of that style's curriculum. For example, my Filipino MA instructor has a background in wrestling and he taught us single and double leg take-downs. However, that doesn't mean that FMA in general has single/double leg take-downs. I think some of the confusion from you "MMA Lite" comment is your basing it off of your KM class opposed to the more common and widespread KM curriculum.
This was my reaction, too.

@FriedRice What you describes sounds like your instructor uses KM as a starting point (perhaps similar in some ways to what I call the "Foundation" material for new students), then builds on that with MT/BJJ/MMA. I wouldn't call that part of KM as a whole in that case - any more than I'd call my stick work part of NGA - it's part of my curriculum when I teach NGA, but you won't find it at most other schools, so it's not really part of the overall art.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This was my reaction, too.

@FriedRice What you describes sounds like your instructor uses KM as a starting point (perhaps similar in some ways to what I call the "Foundation" material for new students), then builds on that with MT/BJJ/MMA. I wouldn't call that part of KM as a whole in that case - any more than I'd call my stick work part of NGA - it's part of my curriculum when I teach NGA, but you won't find it at most other schools, so it's not really part of the overall art.

Definitely an improvement on my impression of krav though. Which really should either be MMA lite or MMA plus. Depending on where you are trying to go with it.

Again if you can't mix with the big boys in the basics first. You just don't have the foundation to go super street.

Sorry, mechanics wise not stylistic wise. So you should be able to handle a punching kicking grappling scenario with small gloves at pace.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Neither of our ranks changes Krav Maga's content. Krav is a Self Defense system at heart and teaches you exactly that, Self-Defense. Your standard Krav class won't teach how to deal with complex attacks from trained combatants.

What Krav Maga alliance is this that you train under?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know they teach basic weapon defense(gun disarms, knife defenses, etc), but what weapon offense training have you received? I really am curious.

Do you train Krav?

Just because certain training methods aren't for you doesn't mean they're BS. Quick explosive short sparring intervals have there use, the same goes for light-moderate contact. Anderson Silva spars light with an emphasis on technique and positioning. Hard sparring has it's place too, but there's a line between sparring hard and sparring recklessly.

Read what I said again. It was about a criteria for earning a Black Belt under Alliance.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Then tell me, what did my KM Instructor incorporate into his KM class that's not apart of the KM curriculum?

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score

I can see where you're coming from. Kav is a nice blended system (MMA). It's my understanding that the quality really varies within Krav Maga system. The school near me is Israeli Krav Maga and under the umbrella of David Kahn. They do spar and the training is very lively. The groundwork used at this school is more similar to Japanese Jiu Jitsu.

I went to an MMA gym for 3 months. It was great and I learned a lot. Instructor was good and that is where the difference was. I would say that MMA gyms are your best bet for learning how to become an overall well rounded "fighter". However, even within the MMA realm, quality varies. You also get a lot of MMA "bro mentality" with some of these places and instruction isn't always that good.

Krav is an outstanding system if it's a good one. In fact, my one Wing Chun Sifu that studied under the Moy Yat lineage (also with Tony Watts) recommended Krav for learning effective self defense attributes.

Like anything else, the quality will vary.

http://www.israelikrav.com/

MMA gyms are not immune to poor quality.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions