Why do people join Martial Arts

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Original reason for joining: Saw a Chuck Norris movie with my Dad when I was six and I got hooked. Nine years later, I talk my parents into letting me start. Honestly, at 15, it looked cool and I wanted to learn how to fight.

Reason for Staying: I learned that there was so much more than fighting and much better ways to defend yourself without fighting. Though training I found a better physical balance, mental balance and sharpness.

Reason for continuing: I can no longer define myself without including Martial Arts. They are no longer something that I just do. They are my passion.

Oh...and I still think that it looks pretty cool!

My two bits.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have had the opportunity to interview many hundreds of people that have signed up at my school over the years (since 1993) and one interesting thing that I noted is that only a small percentage stated that they joined for self defense. Improving self confidence and self discipline is by far the primary reasons that they say they are joining.
A few have actually been attacked and were joining for that reason alone: to learn self defense.
Some people were new to town and wanted to meet people, others just wanted a different way to work out, and many were always interested and just wanted to learn more about martial arts.
In my case, I had always been involved with competitive sports and after playing semi-pro baseball and competitive swimming I was looking for a new challenge. Karate turned out to be just what i was looking for! I had sparred with a blackbelt for some time and I finally decided to get some formal training.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I first got interested in MA watching the old "Kung Fu" tv series. Then I got hooked on Chuck Norris movies and wanted to be just like him. Did some Shorin-Ryu and Kyokishin for several years. Lost time I had for it when I went into the US Army. After I got out, I met my wife who had been doing TKD and Jujitsu for about 20 years at that point and I thought, eh, why not give it another shot. Once back into it I was hooked all over again. Think I"m addicted to the endorphin rush.

Jeff

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I used to watch kung fu theater (after creature feature), and copy the movements from the tv as a kid. I think people join for a bunch of reasons. A good work out, a hobby, day care for the kids, self defense, etc. That's what's great, we all teach, as well as learn.

Wing Chun Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Eric Daniel said:
Why do people join Martial arts?

For most people i think they want to gain some super powers so that nobody will mess with them and they can impress their friends by talking about it or showing a few fancy moves.

for me, i started martial arts because i was bored, and i practice Wing Chun Kung Fu today so that i can best avoid a fight. Master the fight to avoid it. Know the enemy.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wanted to take MA to stop a bully problem I had in jr. high. When I started MA in high school, bullying was no longer an issue (kids change). I went from being a "dork" to being a "karate dork." But I didn't get hassled. One of my training partners/high school friends had a philosophy about it. "If I pay someone to kick my butt every night, why would I waste my time fighting in school? I don't have the energy." 24 years later, I do because its still fun.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Eric Daniel said:
Why do people join Martial arts?

I started strickly for fun(not for self -defense).When I was a kid my step-dad used to always place old Ninja movies and play spar with me.I soon became obsessed with Martial Arts; particularly Ninjitsu.Now,for me, Martial Arts have become a way of life.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gee, I wrestled in high school and freestyle. I took Judo and Hapkido in my dads class as a teen. I wrestled for the Marine Corps and have participated in a few Randori matches in contest or tournament since leaving the Marines.

After the physical abuse of house to house fighting and riot control in Haiti in 94 and life in general I have gotten back into Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido for the physical therapy and core conditioning. I wear a leg brace on each leg, nothing short of knee replacement will change that. However, I can compete in form. That is enough.

Plus I would like to reach dan ranking in both Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido. Really it is a three part for me: Family legacy, physical therapy, and lastly it is really a way of life for me. I know what happens if I do not train and practice.

Franzfri

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I took Judo for Phys Ed in college and liked it, but didn't continue. I'de wanted to try Tai Chi for years, but didn't have the time. Finally I found a class that I could make time for. Now I go 3 times a week and take private lessons. I started and continue for health and fitness reasons and because of the centered feeling of Chi and feeling of accomplishment gained from learning.
Fran

goodwrench_mc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Eric Daniel said:
Why do people join Martial arts?....what is your perspective?
I got started in martial arts completely by accident. When my youngest son was 8 years old, he had very low self esteem and was lacking confidence in his physical ability.
I remembered that my oldest son had tried some Tae-Kwon-Do when he was young. The classes had helped with self-disipline and built up his strength, but it didn't hold his interest. My wife had a friend, whose husband was running a Kenpo school in town, so I said we could go check it out. He tried a free class and really like it so we signed him up.
He progressed quickly, it seemed to come naturally to him. The time passed quickly, he started helping the instructor with the lower rank students. One night on the way home, he announced he wanted to become an instructor. Thinking that he is 12 years old, I told him it was a good goal, but concentrate on a good education. To keep him motivated, I added that if he ever became an instructor, I would let him teach me.
So three years after I said that and forgot about the statement, he had tested for his t brown belt and passed his assistant instructor course. He made an announcement again on the way home -
"OK dad, You can start on monday"
So - I started my journey into Martial Arts........ at 48 years old

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well unlike everybody else I joined for no choice it was a major part of my father life, so it became a major part of my life, now I train today for the fact of the ground work my father brought to the table for all of us kids. Martial Arts is just not kicking and punching for me it has become my way of looking at the world around me, you tend to see the good in people instead of the bad like most, you also tend to see the best in the everything you do, you tend to appreciate life as a whole.

That is why we live the MA way and that is what we strive to bring out in everybody.
Terry Lee Stoker

Very well said Terry. I have enjoyed reading everyones reply. What a great post this has become.

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I got into Martial Arts because my dad did TKD in Korea. Boys want to be like their dad right? Well he started me on nunchaku after a while because he made a pair for a friend and I fooled around with it until 1990 when I began formal instruction in TKD. Ever since then it's been fun, and it has given me alot. Martial Arts has always been there for me to focus on. Plus it's just gol durned fun!!!

Silly Limey

White Belt
Reaction score
I joined because it was something that I always wanted to do, but I also wanted to defend myself. I'm staying because I absolutely love it, I've learned practical techniques, it's helped me lose about 60 lbs., and it's so much fun.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
they do it because they want to be like the guys on tv. ha ha ha ha

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My mom had taken me to watch the Karate Kid, and I fell in love with Martial Arts. Funny thing is I always liked the Cobra Kai better for some reason.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not a person who likes fighting. When I was in grade school I never reacted to other guys (even tho that might have meant a bloody nose). The idea of hurting other people really is against me.

I started Tai Chi for the beauty of the forms themselves and since Tai Chi Chuan is a martial art I think that wouldn't be a complete knowledge if I left out the martial art part. As per fighting Tai Chi would be perfect for me (of course this is speaking at very high level, which I am not hee hee) because in theory you can decide the amount of damage/pain to inflict to the opponent. Anyway this is only theory coz since I have never fought in my life my "instinct/reaction" will never be as sharp as the ones of people who fought in the past. But I like thinking that with hard work I could reach a level where I could repel an opponent just pushing him/her away or just by making him/her fall. I am convinced that after 3 or 4 falls they should give up (but I dream too much hee hee).

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me, my nephew started at the Y (that I was working at). The Sensei had a fairly good sized children's class, but wanted to start an adult's class. The class started with my sister-in-law, my wife, another Y employee and me.

Latest Discussions