Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you know the definition of 'attack'? If one is in a physical altercation one is either attacking or being attacked. Otherwise there is no fight.

Funnily enough there is an Ian Atherby concept that separates consensual with non consensual violence.

I don't get that there is a difference except that obviously if you don't give the guy any warning you will get extra shots in.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea and watch yourself get pounded on lol.
Have you considered going to a dojo and trying out your theories? If youre ever in new York (this is not a challenge, just an invitation), i welcome you to try to attack me and afterwards we can discuss how it went. Only rule would be no guns, since you dont know how to use one, so there is a very high chance it would end in one of our deaths.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you considered going to a dojo and trying out your theories? If youre ever in new York (this is not a challenge, just an invitation), i welcome you to try to attack me and afterwards we can discuss how it went. Only rule would be no guns, since you dont know how to use one, so there is a very high chance it would end in one of our deaths.
Don't be silly, he clearly stated that he tested his system by sparring a couple of times against untrained opponents, which is pretty scientific.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funnily enough there is an Ian Atherby concept that separates consensual with non consensual violence.

I don't get that there is a difference except that obviously if you don't give the guy any warning you will get extra shots in.
There’s some difference, but it’s often made out to be more significant than it is.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think there’s two differences they’ve got in mind:

1. In a non-consensual fight, you typically don’t realize you’re in a fight until it’s already started. True enough, and it changes things a bit. You usually have to play “catch up.”

2. They think there’s far more dancing around when it’s consensual, like a pro boxing match. True enough until once you actually engage; then it’s like everything else.

Other than the element of surprise and maybe the first few seconds of looking for your in, I don’t see much difference between “do you want to take this outside?” and the guy who didn’t say anything and started throwing fists because you looked at his girlfriend the wrong way. Once that initial contact is made, a fight is a fight. The rest is just semantics. No need to base an entire system out of the differences. Saying “my system is designed to defend in a non-consensual fight” is just an excuse for getting your a$$ kicked IMO.

If you don’t see the punch coming, chances are it’ll hit you and end your night, sucker punch or not.

I’ve been in quite a few “do you want to go outside?” and fights that started before I knew I was in a fight. There really wasn’t much difference. It’s not like consensual was always a boxing match and non-consensual was always a wrestling match. A fight is a fight, regardless of how long you’ve got to measure up the other guy right beforehand.

It’s not like every consensual fight is Duran vs Leonard 2 (the whole thing, not just the no mas part) and every non-consensual fight is Hagler vs Hearns.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But, alas, it is my duty to inform you you are heretofore banished from the Island of Maui. Should you come to Maui you will be turned away at the airport.

I didn't even know you can do that?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unedited training in the streetz. Keeping it reel.
The only good thing I can say about this video is that he has good balance for someone who may be on drugs. Everything else is just really negative from having a mental illness and being in the middle of the street (unsupervised) to someone who isn't on drugs and doesn't have a mental issue. Just a poor soul who is disillusioned. I never thought being high would be the best case scenario.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a street fight, not an attack.
23x0s0.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
See my video.

Oh crap. That's your video?

You are basing gun defense off on what happens with a nerf gun. All of your results are going to be in accurate. I would highly recommend that you watch some actual videos of people being shot at so that you can get a better idea about the reality of what really goes on in real gun defense. I would also recommend that you read some books written by knowledgeable people so that you can understand the ranges that one may find themselves in when faced with a gun.

You are the only person I know who has even done a demo from "no man's land" (the range where you are too far attack the gun holder and too close to run away without getting shot." This also happens to be the golden spot for gun carriers because they can see everything you do, including your intent to charge in on them. This is also the range that a police officer will put a suspect in.

Unlike your demo boy. ("demo boy / demo girl" is generic term for the guy /girl that gets the punishment in martial art arts demo). When someone charges in the attacker as the option to move backwards as you charge. Your guy didn't move backwards nor did he try to evade your charging efforts. Nor did he wait until you got close enough to just pump a few shots into at close range. Self-defense of any type is less about the physical action that you have to take and more about understanding the realistic opportunities and risk that may exist in any situation and environment that is based on ones ability and the assumed ability of an attacker.

People who train for fights operate differently than people who train for attacks. If someone were to swing on you out of nowhere, you may or may not be able to do all your flashy martial arts.
If someone was able to do this to me then I have just failed my awareness test and hopefully it would put me into recovery mode and not sleep mode. Second. Practical martial arts isn't flashy, those who study martial arts for actual use of techniques understand this right away. As nice as it would be for it to look like what we see in the movies, it's far from that. In terms of appearance it's dull and boring looking, but it gets the job done.

If you make plans on inaccurate information then your plan will fail when it's put to the real test. In the case of your video, failing means getting a fatal gun shot would.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh crap. That's your video?

You are basing gun defense off on what happens with a nerf gun. All of your results are going to be in accurate. I would highly recommend that you watch some actual videos of people being shot at so that you can get a better idea about the reality of what really goes on in real gun defense. I would also recommend that you read some books written by knowledgeable people so that you can understand the ranges that one may find themselves in when faced with a gun.

You are the only person I know who has even done a demo from "no man's land" (the range where you are too far attack the gun holder and too close to run away without getting shot." This also happens to be the golden spot for gun carriers because they can see everything you do, including your intent to charge in on them. This is also the range that a police officer will put a suspect in.

Unlike your demo boy. ("demo boy / demo girl" is generic term for the guy /girl that gets the punishment in martial art arts demo). When someone charges in the attacker as the option to move backwards as you charge. Your guy didn't move backwards nor did he try to evade your charging efforts. Nor did he wait until you got close enough to just pump a few shots into at close range. Self-defense of any type is less about the physical action that you have to take and more about understanding the realistic opportunities and risk that may exist in any situation and environment that is based on ones ability and the assumed ability of an attacker.

If someone was able to do this to me then I have just failed my awareness test and hopefully it would put me into recovery mode and not sleep mode. Second. Practical martial arts isn't flashy, those who study martial arts for actual use of techniques understand this right away. As nice as it would be for it to look like what we see in the movies, it's far from that. In terms of appearance it's dull and boring looking, but it gets the job done.

If you make plans on inaccurate information then your plan will fail when it's put to the real test. In the case of your video, failing means getting a fatal gun shot would.

Thing is, it's not even successful.

He gets shot.

Only by accident though, so y'know...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The reality of real gun self-defense.
1. Guns are scary
2. No one wants to get shot

Had to edit it because I couldn't get the link to show without the video.

Last edited:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

Art bashing is not allowed here. This thread is closed, and not open for further discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions