Why are most martial arts weapons illegal?

Frost890

White Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting in to some of the weapons form and I wanted to learn something that I can actually carry. The problem I have found is that a lot of states(military, I move around a lot) have made laws that prevent you from carrying most weapons. A stick is often lumped in with a blackjack and is often only allowed to be carried by Police(baton). Knives seem to be the least restricted from what I have seen, but I would prefer to bind or lock someone over cutting them. Even a Kubaton is often outlawed under a fist pack in a lot of places. So are there any weapons forms that can be used most places?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting in to some of the weapons form and I wanted to learn something that I can actually carry. The problem I have found is that a lot of states(military, I move around a lot) have made laws that prevent you from carrying most weapons. A stick is often lumped in with a blackjack and is often only allowed to be carried by Police(baton). Knives seem to be the least restricted from what I have seen, but I would prefer to bind or lock someone over cutting them. Even a Kubaton is often outlawed under a fist pack in a lot of places. So are there any weapons forms that can be used most places?
Let me know when you find the answer. I'm always amazed how in the U.S. I can carry any of these guns,
article-2251461-1694744C000005DC-799_634x363.jpg

but in some states this would be illegal.
best-slingshot-no4-hella-slingshots_ba270dd2-499a-4d14-b162-867085cab314_grande.jpg

As for your post, you can legally carry this in most states. Just say it's a walking stick and you'll be find. lol. These aren't as dangerous as the police baton.;)
1950098_orig.jpg

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me know when you find the answer. I'm always amazed how in the U.S. I can carry any of these guns,
article-2251461-1694744C000005DC-799_634x363.jpg

but in some states this would be illegal.
best-slingshot-no4-hella-slingshots_ba270dd2-499a-4d14-b162-867085cab314_grande.jpg

As for your post, you can legally carry this in most states. Just say it's a walking stick and you'll be find. lol. These aren't as dangerous as the police baton.;)
1950098_orig.jpg
The reason is this. There has actually been a bit of historical legal research as to what "the right to bear arms" actually means and during the time of the Constitution's writing it means firearms. Due to this courts have determined that the 2nd amendment is only applicable to firearms. Without a specific Constitutional Provision, due to the Supremancy clause, the States have the right to regulate, even outlaw, other offensive weapons.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

First, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

Second, yes, many types of martial arts weapons are illegal in many locations. In the USA, that often depends on location. There are few restrictions on weapons other than firearms at the federal level. States and municipalities are free to ban non-firearms as they wish, and they often do.

Why? I guess the only answer to that is 'it depends'. Back in the day when ninja stars and nunchaku (aka 'numchucks') were all the rage, there were plenty of idiots running around using them on each other. Given their popularity and fear-factor pushing citizens to push law-makers to 'do something about it', many martial arts weapons were banned. Edged weapons were often banned anyway, based on things like blade length and concealed vs open carry.

I used to carry a small pocketknife with me everywhere I went - and I traveled by air for a living. Prior to 9/11, it wasn't an issue. No one ever gave me grief about my tiny pocketknife. After 9/11 it wasn't permitted. Why? Go ask Congress. I won't get involved in political discussions about it.

Now, to finally answer your question, let me first warn you that you're about to get a lot of advice from people who do not know what the hell they are talking about. Sorry, this thread is not new, lots of people ask this question in various forms, and lots of armchair cops and wannabe lawyers answer with bad information. Just sayin'.

1) Do your own research. Every place is different. You'll have to check local as well as state laws, and you might even want to ask an attorney if you want to be certain.
2) Some places exempt legitimate martial arts study, but those that do, require that you be on your way to or from your study place, not with a set of chucks rattling around behind your driver's seat at all times, get it?
3) Illegal weapons are whatever the cop says they are, basically. If you have a 'tire thumper' and you're not a professional truck driver with a need to thump tires (by the way, that's a thin and laughable excuse on its own, google it), you might find yourself in hot water.
4) Lots of people sell lots of crap that is supposed to be 'dual purpose' such as pens that are really dagger-type weapons, and keychains that are really flails. Don't fall for it. The people who sell you that crap won't stand behind you in court if a cop decides to take it from you and charge you with carrying a concealed or prohibited weapon.

If you are looking for an unlicensed, daily carry weapon, that you can train in and carry concealed 100% of the time in every location, they do not exist. Learn to fight with your fists and feet and improvised weapons, or get a CCW and learn to shoot.

There is no magic weapon that all cops will give you a pass for if they happen to find it in your pocket.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
CCW and learn to shoot.
Probably the better option for weapons carry at least until the states fix the laws to allow the other weapons as well. I would be more afraid of someone with a gun than a throwing star. As long as the throwing start doesn't crack me in the head or face I'll be fine. lol.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
No kidding. Half of the marital arts weapons out there are stupid anyway. I'd pay good money to see someone actually trying to defend themselves with a three-sectional staff.

Here's Dog Brothers...

A little rough but, in essence, use it like Kali sticks in medio and corto, and your largo is LARGO ;)

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why not learn to fight using a simple waking cane?

Well they can be annoying, especially if out shopping etc. One of the reasons I like FMA is the training is applicable to weapons of opportunity. I am looking at a candle stick in my bedroom right now. Break off the lamp shade and I have not only a baston but I can use the electrical cord the wrap/capture. A belt can be used wrap/capture and with the right buckle impact, even (very roughly) lacerate. I can take the pen I have on my nightstand (admittedly an aircraft aluminum tactical pen) and use the "writing" end to puncture, the opposite as impact/semi puncture (it has a window punch there) especially to sensitive points. I can use the pocket mag light on my dresser as impact (think hammer fist) etc. This doesn't include my EDC knives.

With the exception of the esoteric (nunchaku, chain whips, etc) you can turn so many everyday things into a martial arts weapon, for practical purposes, it boggles the mind.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
A little rough? LOL

LOL I was trying to be polite, but now imagine some with this skill using the same concepts in a real fight.

The principles are sound, it's just the amount of training necessary is impractical for your average real world martial artist (meaning one who needs a "day job" ;) )

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL I was trying to be polite, but now imagine some with this skill using the same concepts in a real fight.

The principles are sound, it's just the amount of training necessary is impractical for your average real world martial artist (meaning one who needs a "day job" ;) )

Oh dear. No. Just no. More like this.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh dear. No. Just no. More like this.

Oh I know a lot of the video I showed was flash but slow down the video, before he goes totally crazy with the spinning the guy in my video is actually just using the two ends to strike. He simply has the skill to do it without getting tangled up.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh I know a lot of the video I showed was flash but slow down the video, before he goes totally crazy with the spinning the guy in my video is actually just using the two ends to strike. He simply has the skill to do it without getting tangled up.

So do baton twirlers.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
So do baton twirlers.

but with a weapon that can as easily bite you in the butt as that one it matters. Maybe I am projecting here but I remember when I tried to "go fast" before my time with baston in my Kali training. I wacked my "funny bone" more than once doing sinawali in that time period.

edit: I am also looking at the weapon as being an Asian variation of the European flail which we know was a practical combat weapon. Here is a video with some light sparring involving a type of European flail. If I remember rightly (someone correct me if I am wrong) this would be considered a "peasant" flail.

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Mattocks pretty well summed it up. Stupid people doing stupid things with them and got them outlawed.

Latest Discussions