WHow they view WC on other forums....

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, the biggest gripe the guys over at the " The Planet" have is that WC isn't sufficiently "pressure tested" these days, so that a lot of BS is being taught. To that extent they make a legitimate point. If you don't have people out there testing what you do, the art will degrade over time. Finding some way to have worthwhile full contact competitions with WC would not only help our image, it might help our art.

Of course others on that site go a bit further. But I take it in stride. When they say,"All WC is useless rubbish" I just hear a cry for help! LOL

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It was actually an ebmas student who did the *** whooping if I recall correct, out in new york, and it was so-so, his skills seemed mediocre, but I spose he was probably low level, and maybe he hadn't had much practice sparring/applying it.
I did some digging around on bullshido without much luck, but alas youtube proved much more fruitful!

Last edited by a moderator:

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you think for a minute that some people who claim to represent Wing Chun could really fight their way out of a paper bag?most I know could, but it wouldn't be a fair fight. Yeah, they bash Wing Chun because of representation,rules that do not allow people to compete fairly,ineptitude,lack of skills that could perhaps allow a person to gain the upper hand in a real fight lest they had years of training.I Have had to question this myself...biltz,tactile reflex?if the guy is say... 6'5 has reach... and weighs 250 your only recourse is to get in on the inside,and hope you can knock him out...quickly.I have personally fought people about my height... slightly taller(you are shorter 5'7),and maybe heavier,possibly a fair fight,depending on your luck and training.Then there is reality...the guy who doesn't feel anything,is pissed,and wants to squash (destroy) you.You better be a scientist....or a physics major,you are right MMA guys want the real proof (and yes they are tough)..back to the question,are there enough people putting Wing Chun to the test? I don't really know......is it politics?or is there an inert fear of being bested by another Wing Chun/Tsun/Tzun/Tzung...etc...etc..school? Truth...there is always someone better.....and I believe that is what people are afraid of....politics.....only my crappy opinion....my hope is that some day,the art will get the press it deserves.....my hat is off to all the "real representatives" of this great art.

Last edited:
OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you think for a minute that some people who claim to represent Wing Chun could really fight their way out of a paper bag?most I know could, but it wouldn't be a fair fight...

Joe, you might want to edit that a bit. Makes it sound like some couldn't handle a wet paper bag.... and that either way it's an "unfair fight". Like you pity the bag.

Anyway, I think some of those guys (the WC bashers) are just ignorant. They judge everything by Youtube clips! One posted a clip of Michael Casey doing an "anti-grappling" demo, and the whole crew jumped all over it, basically calling him a clown. (Now for political reasons, I'm not supposed to be going around saying nice things about Michael or Emin). So I won't tell you that I think he's a very impressive younger generation 'chunner and escrima practioner who's earned the respect of no less than both Emin Boztepe and Rene Latosa. Now that's some cred in my book. Yep, so (for political reasons) instead of saying that, I will say that the red pants he wears in the video look like an old set of Hugh Hefner's pajamas. Because that's about the only thing I can find to criticize! Seriously, the guys over there on that other forum don't have a clue. In sparring or fighting, Casey would clean their clocks. And, that's something I'd really like to see, too. Even on youtube!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had the privelage of crossing hands with Michael Casey numerous times. His skill is phenomonal. I say let the people from the other forum wallow in their ignorance.

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I gave up in words in telling people that Ving Tsun work. I find out that once they are prejudice in this art either because they don't understand it, or they have tried it but just didn't "get it" or they followed a not so competent Wing Chun Teacher, they will always think that Ving Tsun doesn't work.

I have used the art once or twice on street fights and it worked. That's all that mattered to me. If that didn't work I'd stop training in Ving Tsun. In the end, that's what really matters. Not whether someone can use it on the MMA circuit to prove it's effectiveness, but you can actually use it for yourself.

We all just need to keep training and keep questioning what we do ourselves to keep the art effective and alive.