Who is going to see 300?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Conspiracy-thumb.jpg

Where did you find that? That is really funny...

And, just go see the movie and try not to overthink it... ;)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saw it, rolled eyes at a few parts, overall liked it and will add to DVD collection when available.

As an aside, I just ordered "300 Spartans" which the comic which this film was based off of. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good movie. I loved the style it was filmed in. I would've liked seeing more of the diplomacy in Sparta or planning by Xerxes so as to break up the action at the gates a bit.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I've gathered, the fight style used by the Spartans in the film was close to what is historically thought they did, though 'hollywooded' a bit. Supposedly, it's about 80-90% accurate historically overall.

btw: battle info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

Tell ya what bothered me just a bit - no armor? Just leather speedos on professional soldiers. I don't think so.

But yes, the Romans didn't invent the phalanx - just perfected an idea taken from ancient Greece. The movie didn't really show it, but the Spartans actually used the front two lines to fight simultaneously. The front row held their shields up and thrusted from under them. The second row thrust from over top of the front rows shields. It was a meat grinder.

As for the "propaganda" It wasn't until I got online here that I even thought about it. It's a comic book fer christs sake. ;)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tell ya what bothered me just a bit - no armor? Just leather speedos on professional soldiers. I don't think so.

But yes, the Romans didn't invent the phalanx - just perfected an idea taken from ancient Greece. The movie didn't really show it, but the Spartans actually used the front two lines to fight simultaneously. The front row held their shields up and thrusted from under them. The second row thrust from over top of the front rows shields. It was a meat grinder.

As for the "propaganda" It wasn't until I got online here that I even thought about it. It's a comic book fer christs sake. ;)

Go back to that part about Leather Speedos....? ;)

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

Actually, because of the size of the hoplon (shield) the Greeks carried, it was not uncommon for soldiers to where only a helmet and greaves. Ancient Greece, afterall, was a 'naked' culture and armour was expensive so its not really that surprising to see minimal clothing. As for the leather speedos, its actually more likely that they would have been naked or wearing a light garment called a kiton.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, because of the size of the hoplon (shield) the Greeks carried, it was not uncommon for soldiers to where only a helmet and greaves. Ancient Greece, afterall, was a 'naked' culture and armour was expensive so its not really that surprising to see minimal clothing. As for the leather speedos, its actually more likely that they would have been naked or wearing a light garment called a kiton.

Spartans wore a sophisticated breast plate that was a laminate of linen, leather and metal that was actually able to prevent Persian (and other) arrows from piercing it. They were professional soldiers and all had access to the armor. The only real difference was that the Leaders wore their horsehair plumes running from left to right rather than front to back. And it was red (nothing like standing out to your enemies...). Greece was indeed a naked society, but spartans weren't ordinary Greeks. hoplights fought for a living. Soldiers wear armor.

carol - six pack abs and leather speedos for two larger than life hours on the big screen - have fun... lol

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw something about that armor. The Historychannel aired something recently, and the demonstration was impressive.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spartans wore a sophisticated breast plate that was a laminate of linen, leather and metal that was actually able to prevent Persian (and other) arrows from piercing it. They were professional soldiers and all had access to the armor. The only real difference was that the Leaders wore their horsehair plumes running from left to right rather than front to back. And it was red (nothing like standing out to your enemies...). Greece was indeed a naked society, but spartans weren't ordinary Greeks. hoplights fought for a living. Soldiers wear armor.

carol - six pack abs and leather speedos for two larger than life hours on the big screen - have fun... lol

The laminated construct you refer to, known as a composite cuirass, was available throughout Greece and it is true at the time of the Persian wars a hoplite wore armour. The practice slowly died out so that by the Pelopponesian War even the Spartans were not wearing armour. So it seems reasonable, if not completely accurate for the Spartans to not be wearing armour. Greece is a hot place, armour of any kind is hot. Of course by the time of Philip and Alexander armour had come back into fashion.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
History channel will be doing something along the lines of the history vs hollywood show tonight at 8 pm est about the "300". I'll be watching that right after the 4 hour marathon ufc stuff on spike...hey, it's saturday, it's cold outside and I need a break. I'm gonna be a couch potato for the day.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
History channel will be doing something along the lines of the history vs hollywood show tonight at 8 pm est about the "300". I'll be watching that right after the 4 hour marathon ufc stuff on spike...hey, it's saturday, it's cold outside and I need a break. I'm gonna be a couch potato for the day.

The History Channel piece was excellent. They provided a very vivid recap of the events and how important they were in the wake of history.

Caught that and then went to see the midnight showing of 300 in iMax. It was one helluva good evening. :D :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw 300 last night. It was about what I expected after Sin City. Great action scenes.