Brad Delp - 2007

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not one to muddle in the 'Hall of Rememberances'. I have always been more about those alive, than those no longer so.

This afternoon, Brad Delp, lead singer of the band Boston was found dead in his Atkinson, New Hampshire home. He was 55 years old.

Boston was the band that guided my early life as a musician. When I got sober, the Third Stage CD was the most common disk in my 3000 GT's compact disk player. The song A Man I'll Never Be is perhaps one of the two or three best songs ever recorded.

And, while I have little doubt that the next Boston album was not coming soon, Mr. Delp's death has struck me closer than I would have anticipated; were I able to anticipate the unexepected.

www.bandboston.com - "We've just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

www.boston.org - "The nicest, kindest, most caring, down to earth rock star the world has ever known."

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. :( :asian:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What a great vocalist. The original Boston cd is still in my listening rotation. Love that album. What a loss. My condolences to his family.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not one to muddle in the 'Hall of Rememberances'. I have always been more about those alive, than those no longer so.

This afternoon, Brad Delp, lead singer of the band Boston was found dead in his Atkinson, New Hampshire home. He was 55 years old.

Boston was the band that guided my early life as a musician. When I got sober, the Third Stage CD was the most common disk in my 3000 GT's compact disk player. The song A Man I'll Never Be is perhaps one of the two or three best songs ever recorded.

And, while I have little doubt that the next Boston album was not coming soon, Mr. Delp's death has struck me closer than I would have anticipated; were I able to anticipate the unexepected.

www.bandboston.com - "We've just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

www.boston.org - "The nicest, kindest, most caring, down to earth rock star the world has ever known."

A very cool story and a very sad loss.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So sad to hear that the man has gone who sang those words that so helped me when I was depressed ("It's easy, taking it day by day").

Boston may not have produced a truckoad of albums but those first two disks are a good enough legacy for anybody.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read where the cause of death was suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning. He had a tube running from his car exhaust into the bathroom where they found him. What a waste. I guess he had some issues in his life.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its true, unfortunately. His fiancee was the one that found him. His family has said he was worn out and tired.

When a bone gets injured, many people insist on seeing an orthopaedist. But when the brain gets hurt...that is not so easy to fix.

The same album that inspired Mike was one of a few that helped me get through my Freshman year at Berklee College of Music. Something about them was so...grounding. I'll miss him and the way he inspired me. :wah:

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On principle, I think that suicide is a valid choice for a person to make. I believe physician assisted suicide should be permitted in the other 49 states.

I read reports that he left two notes behind, one for his fiance and one for the rest of his family. It seems that he had thought through his choice carefully.

I don't imagine that makes it any easier on those who remain.

Tom Scholz replied to some questions from Rolling Stone. Portions of his reply were seen on rollingstone.com. The complete response is listed at

www.bandboston.com

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
December 7th, 2007 ... I almost had to pull my car to the side of the road on I-495 ....

Brad Delp's voice came through my car stereo, and it was a song with which I was unfamiliar. And the guitar was gut-level identifiable. And the changes were familiar, and the lyrics told a story I knew by heart.

But the song was new.

Barry Goudreau was one of the original guitar players in Boston. He was related through marriage to Brad Delp. Together, Barry and Brad played on more than several albums together.

The song 'Rockin' Away' was, apparently, the last song recorded by Brad Delp. It has been receiving airplay on some of the local stations. It is available on I-Tunes now.

http://www.myspace.com/delpgoudreau

lyrics said:
I was born a singer.
It wasn't something I planned.
All I ever wanted was to be what I am.

I was just thirteen years old.
I heard a record that stopped me cold.
I bought a Sears guitar and I started to jam.
Yeah-eh-eh

Nothin' could be any better.
The music fit me to the letter.
I was feelin' it back in the day.
When we were rockin' away.

Just me in my room with the Beatles.
Wore those old records out with the needle.
Just as Maggie was stuck in my vein.
We were rockin' away.
Rockin' away.

I grew up in the '60's.
'67 was the summer of love.
Those were times when the music had something to say.
Hitched a ride with a rock 'n' roll band.
Made a demo it was more than a feelin'.
We shipped it off and we thought we were well on our way.
Well on our way-ay-ay!

I remember we all got together.
Held our breath as we opened the letter
From the record execs in L.A.
They sent us back on our way.

While the suits found it hard to define us
Nobody wanted to sign us.
It was clear there were dues left to pay.
But we kept rockin' away.

Rockin' away

Yeah

Ow!

(guitar solo)

30 years since we wrote those songs.
Now when we play 'em, people sing along.
I bless the fans who stuck with us all of the way.
What can I say-ay-ay?

Nothing could be any better.
It was more than a feeling whenever
we were kickin' it back in the day.
When we were rockin' away.

No one could feel any better.
The music fits me to the letter.
And it's not really different today.
We keep rockin' away.
Rockin' away
We're still rockin' away.
We were rockin' awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tom Sholtz was definitely the mastermind/brains behind the unique sound that was Boston. Delp how-ever was the man who definitely gave the band it's voice. His range was incredible and probably caused many a vocal cord to crack from attempting to "sing-along" /imitating with the various 8-track & cassette car stereos and home LP, tape, and eventually CD's the band sold by the millions.

I disagree Mike that suicide is a viable answer. It isn't not for anyone, no matter how far down they get. There-is-always-a-way-out, and there is always going to be a better day. In the cases of physician assisted ... that too takes away something that could be learned, if not by the dying then by the survivors.

:asian: to the loss of one of the great rock and roll voices of our (or any time).

Latest Discussions