Who is going to see 300?

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
loved it loved it loved it!

THe CGI was kick ***, but the plot was pure comic book - predictable in the extreme.

However, as the battle of Thermopylae is the very story that hooked me on History (followed closely by the first crusade) I went with the hope of good fights and a decent representation of societal beliefs and ideals of the time. I was not disappointed.

They never could have fit all that went on in the three days of battle in one movie and they left out the entire naval engagement, but much of the timeline was very near the historical account (highly embelished of course). They left out the 7000 other Greeks that were there for the first two days and skiped over the whole 700 Thespians that also stayed and died on that last day, but it didn't matter. It was a character driven movie and it worked for me.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also, upnorthkyosa, do you mean propaganda in the sense of pro-war, pro-martial values? If that is the case, then I would see that "propaganda" as entirely fitting given the real historical values of the Spartan people. Not every movie and every ancient value system should be read by modern sensibilities and perceived as a modern commentary IMO.

By "propaganda" I mean that the "Greeks" were awefully American. Spartan values were almost completely interchanged with the American mythos.

Other then that, it was entertaining...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Im waiting for the "its a symbolic representation of evil "American" values" any moment now. Wait for it.

I love how the "traitors" and Spartan "weaklings" in this movie sound so much like Ted Kennedy...

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear it took in $70 million this weekend. Biggest opening for a movie ever in March.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
By "propaganda" I mean that the "Greeks" were awefully American. Spartan values were almost completely interchanged with the American mythos.

This has me curious. Would you care to tell me the specific values you are refering to?

Thanks.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the most glaring example is how the whole "freedom isn't free" phrase cropped up verbatim as I wrote it, or slightly altered, again and again. Spartans were alot of things, but they were NOT "free" in any sense that we would classify them.

I wish I had a script in front of me, because I would pull out alot more along those lines, but, alas, I've only seen the movie once. The bottom line is that IMHO, I see this movie as making some clear allusions to current politics with stuff like that.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love how the "traitors" and Spartan "weaklings" in this movie sound so much like Ted Kennedy...
So was there a scene with a Spartan traitor driving his chariot off a bridge and killing an innocent woman? :idunno:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So was there a scene with a Spartan traitor driving his chariot off a bridge and killing an innocent woman? :idunno:

Heh. No, but that would have been really funny. :)

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the most glaring example is how the whole "freedom isn't free" phrase cropped up verbatim as I wrote it, or slightly altered, again and again. Spartans were alot of things, but they were NOT "free" in any sense that we would classify them.

I wish I had a script in front of me, because I would pull out alot more along those lines, but, alas, I've only seen the movie once. The bottom line is that IMHO, I see this movie as making some clear allusions to current politics with stuff like that.

Well I have to agre with you there - the Spartans weren't any more enlightened than any other Greek city-state of the day. Slavery was common within Sparta and in real life Leonidas didn't kill a wolf to become a man, he murdered a slave - as did most boys of Sparta if they wished to become a man. It was expected of them to kill a human and not get caught in the act. Part of Spartan warfare was stealth and sneaking about, not just good sheild walls (thought they were excellent at that as well).

The funny thing though is that I found / saw clear allusions to our present situation reflected in the Persians... a rather less than enthusiastic veiw on the American regime, so to speak.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The funny thing though is that I found / saw clear allusions to our present situation reflected in the Persians... a rather less than enthusiastic veiw on the American regime, so to speak.

Heh. That is a pretty interesting POV. I can see how you could see that.

On the other hand, I think the whole "clash of civilizations" theme, along with all of its archtypes, needs to have a really big and bad enemy. Thus if you think about the ubiquitous and ephermal "terrorist" in our culture you can also see parellels to the cultures that "create" them.

Enter the Persians. Enter the American Mythos. Enter the propaganda.

It would be interesting to find out if the Pentagon provided some funding for this movie. They have done so in the past, especially for movies that present the military in a positive light or for movies that will impact other military goals.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would be interesting to find out if the Pentagon provided some funding for this movie. They have done so in the past, especially for movies that present the military in a positive light or for movies that will impact other military goals.

That, or someone predicted - rightfully - that this thing would make an assload of money for the studio. But your theory sounds much more plausible. :shrug:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sex and violence? I'm SO there. :D

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That, or someone predicted - rightfully - that this thing would make an assload of money for the studio. But your theory sounds much more plausible. :shrug:

I don't have any theory. I've just pointed out a few things. Are you denying that our government dabbles in propaganda now and then?

Oh, and maybe both could occur simultaineously...wait is that a theory?

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have any theory. I've just pointed out a few things. Are you denying that our government dabbles in propaganda now and then?

Oh, and maybe both could occur simultaineously...wait is that a theory?

Conspiracy-thumb.jpg

MetalStorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Best movie I have seen in quite some time now, those battles were great, cant wait to see it again.

Latest Discussions