Who gets to change a kata or technique…

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not all varieties of TKD use the same form sets, so depending on the branch, your statement may or may not be correct.
Is that difference because someone changed the kata? Why are there branches? I know some of the kenpo/kempo history because of who my Sigung is but I am completely unfamiliar with tkd history.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not that the Korean point of view is wrong about anything...ever...

Can we switch gears to China for a moment? Does everyone here see the skill difference now? Or not?

I mean between the entry level TKD and Shotokan forms, and this one.

That is no where near to an entry level form, you know this.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Can we switch gears to China for a moment? Does everyone here see the skill difference now? Or not?

I have never understood the sound effect thing. If you mic him in those days, he really makes a sound, why fake something that’s real, although much quieter.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never understood the sound effect thing. If you mic him in those days, he really makes a sound, why fake something that’s real, although much quieter.
The real sounds are much weirder. There are whole systems of sounds in the forms, too.

They'd probably confuse the viewer, because the viewer probably doesn't know kung fu. The foom foom sounds are there to please the audience, they always love a drum.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not all varieties of TKD use the same form sets, so depending on the branch, your statement may or may not be correct.
Correct. That is why I said 'basic'. Of course, the Taeguek form set is different.
I cannot remember ever seeing Kicho Hyung il Bu (basic 1) done differently across all the TKD schools I have worked out at. I suspect TSD may do it differently.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's kind of near. It's just the second form in Hung Ga.
How long until a person knows the movements of your first form and puts them in a pattern? How many forms do you have?
I ask because I know the approach to training is quite different from CMA to KMA.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is no where near to an entry level form, you know this.
ha ha ha.. I went back to see what you were talking about. Jow Ga has a similar form. This would be considered an advance form in Jow Ga. Students won't even see this form until years later. I've gone through about 7 forms in Jow Ga and I still wouldn't be in range of this one. I would be about 4 form away. It doesn't seem big but the more advance the form is the more difficult it becomes and the longer the form is.

Jow Ga always gets harder. We just don't let the students know that lol.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol I feel sorry for those students
I don’t know about that being the second form in Hung Ga. I suspect it depends on the school. I’m fairly certain it is not the second form Taught by Y. C. Wong in San Francisco, nor some teachers on the East Coast, based on what I was told by a friend who trained there.

Even if it is a beginner level form, there is a big difference between a beginner doing it, and an advanced person doing it. Presenting an example of an advanced person doing it as if this is typical of beginner level kung fu isn’t exactly being honest.

In my system, we’ve got a very long and complex form in our beginner level curriculum, and it is the second form taught. However, if things are being done properly, you likely won’t learn it for a good couple of years into your training. This isn’t stuff that people are thrown into from day one. We’ve got four or five empty hand forms in our beginner level curriculum, and they are all rather lengthy. You can spend several years before you learn this material and advance to intermediate level. If you learn just our beginner level curriculum and nothing beyond that, you have a very full and worthwhile load of material to work on. There is little real need to learn more of it.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice kata. I see GoJu Sanchin and Tensho interwoven within the techniques.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's kind of near. It's just the second form in Hung Ga.
I am familiar with it. In your estimation, how long would a rank beginner need to train to get to where they are working this form, not just dancing through it? I know how long I think it would take, but I’m curious what you think. Do you teach CMA?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
The real sounds are much weirder. There are whole systems of sounds in the forms, too.

They'd probably confuse the viewer, because the viewer probably doesn't know kung fu. The foom foom sounds are there to please the audience, they always love a drum.
I am also familiar with the sound forms. I was talking about the sound of cutting the air with the movements.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. I went back to see what you were talking about. Jow Ga has a similar form. This would be considered an advance form in Jow Ga. Students won't even see this form until years later. I've gone through about 7 forms in Jow Ga and I still wouldn't be in range of this one. I would be about 4 form away. It doesn't seem big but the more advance the form is the more difficult it becomes and the longer the form is.

Jow Ga always gets harder. We just don't let the students know that lol.
Same here in Wing Woo Gar. It doesn’t get easier, it just becomes less of a struggle.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In your estimation, how long would a rank beginner need to train to get to where they are working this form, not just dancing through it?
Very good question. I like that you clarify that you aren't talking about "dancing through it?" I've seen that done in some schools, where the goal is to learn as many forms as possible and as a result they understand very little.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that difference because someone changed the kata? Why are there branches? I know some of the kenpo/kempo history because of who my Sigung is but I am completely unfamiliar with tkd history.
Why are there branches of Karate? Why are there branches of CMA? Why are there branches of every. style. in. the. world?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn’t being cheeky, I was asking about the history of these branch splits. Did those splits happen recently? Are they the result of some schism? Just curious.
TKD started out as a bunch of different schools with different styles, backgrounds, and influences. There have been several attempts to get them all to merge into one giant all-encompassing group. These has varying levels of success, but obviously never complete. Some groups join. Some do not. Some that joined stay. Some do not. I've seen numbers that show as many as 70 million people practice taekwondo. Good luck getting 70 people to totally agree on anything. 70,000,000? It is to laugh...

Latest Discussions