Key Kata

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I live in China, so your video, wherever it is located, is blocked: if you post the address (www. blah blah blah), I will try to access it via proxy.
Oh ok, it's on youtube.

The video has Zenpo Shimabukuro sensei doing the kata quite slowly for demonstration purposes

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh ok, it's on youtube.

The video has Zenpo Shimabukuro sensei doing the kata quite slowly for demonstration purposes

Got it. I've seen this before: beautiful, strong version of the Kata. The opening is similar to Richard Kim's Shorinji-Ryu version, with the retraction of the arm before stepping; turning technique very different; and, after the turn, the lead hand is used as the trap, rather than the rear, as in Hangetsu; in Hangetsu, the leg is raised before the uraken, idea being Fumi-Komi (side kick stomp to knee); last little diff, your version uses the front kick, not crescent.

Anyway, my main point on this Kata is that all the fundamental techniques of Okinawan Karate are in it. Sanchin, to me, is like an abbreviated version, emphasizing strengthening.

Thanks for posting the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anyway, my main point on this Kata is that all the fundamental techniques of Okinawan Karate are in it. Sanchin, to me, is like an abbreviated version, emphasizing strengthening.

Ah ok. Now I understand. And agree. At least to us in Seibukan, this kata is kind of like Sanchin: it is the foundation, on top of which everything else rests.

Latest Discussions