Who competes, and in what?

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started in grappling doing alot of no gi, but I find myself leaning in the direction you're talking about steve. I find that I really like gi way more. It's more technical and precise.

Just a preference that's been developing. I'm thinking of doing nothing by gi next year.

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
i used to do gi, but i'm really starting to get into the nogi sub grappling. the only problem is that nogi isn't regulated not nearly as strictly as gi, so nogi competitions are basically using the "honor system" as far as who competes at what level. so there's alot of "sandbaggers" that should be intermediate but go in as novice or beginners. this rarely happens in gi tourneys because of not only federations, but they wear a belt which is a visual indicator of their level.

Becca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I compete regionally and nationally in ITF Taekwon-do sparring and patterns :)

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I prefer open hand and weapons form competitions, although I have mainly judged competitions since 2000. I would really like to take my favorite form "hansuki" to a competition, perhaps next year....

Who competes, and in what?

My preference is point fighting, padded weapons. I'm not a fan of form competitions, or 'live stick' stuff, though I've done them in the past.

threethirty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't do a lot of competitions (they can get a bit expensive), but I have done grappling, point sparring, and continuous point sparring. looking to add forms at some point eventhough kung-fu forms are not well recieved by the judges that score in my area.

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I compete daily against the toughest opponent anywhere - myself.

I can't claim any great success rate in these bouts, but I keep at it. One of us is going to wear down or change - sooner or later.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Forms - Kata and Self-defense, but I am considering getting back into sparring once again!

Big Daddy

White Belt
Reaction score
I compete in point sparring, kata, weapons and breaking. We have 4 tournaments a year in our local organization. I try to compete in at least one national tourny a year also.

BMMA

White Belt
Reaction score
If you are going to train hard you may as well compete! Find the right category for you and just do it!

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
amateur fighter. mma, muay thai and bjj tournaments.

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
About 12-13 ITF tournaments, which included sparring, breaking, self defense, and tuls
Two semi contact kickbox tournaments
5 open stand - up tournaments (of which one was full contact, had two fights)
2 Hapkdio tournaments (sparring and self defense)

Giant Marshmallow

White Belt
Reaction score
Even though I am a beginner, I competed in forms and jujitsu at an intermural tournament in December. I was the only white belt with yellows and reds. I didn't win anything, but I held my own and my scores were in the middle of the pack. (for me it is not about winning, but having the confidence)

My son on the other hand got second place in jujitsu and 5th (after a 3way tie) in forms (he was also one of two white belts with orange and yellow belts).

I am hoping to add sparring to the list in March and if I feel confident enough join the Eastern Regional Karate Championships in April. (who am I kidding, I will be there, I love competing)

takadadojokeith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've competed in MMA, boxing, shootboxing, and submission wrestling. Won a national title in shootboxing and was on an MMA reality show in Japan.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
On the weekends I usually get to drill groundwork or light-contact sparring. I've yet to try anything with a knife or any blunted object.

We have simple tournaments set up for students, and sometimes inter-school bouts. They're small-time events, but competitions nonetheless.

I'm under the Keysi Fighting Method program.

Latest Discussions