Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What types of competitions are there?

I'm familiar with the UFC type cage fights that are popular where it's usually an unarmed full contact fight in a cage.

I've also seen point fighting both using weapons and open hands.

Boxing and Kick boxing.

Also, weapon forms, open hand forms, musical forms, and breaking competitions.

What else is there? Any sub-divisions in these? Maybe something we can use to make a solid competition style encyclopedia entry?

:)

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is a subset of the "UFC" type of competitions. I have heard it called a few different things, but often "sport Jiu-Jitsu" where it included striking (usually not to the head) and grappling. A little added from straight BJJ or sub grap but not quite full contact with head shots MMA.

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Where I am at, submission wrestling is starting to get big too. It is similiar to the sport jiu jitsu, but no strikes allowed. Hope that helps

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you included Judo tournaments in the point area ?

We should also consider competitive shooting

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
You have the UFC and other type cage fighting events such as King of the Cage, Pride (bought out by UFC), K-1, etc.....

As for karate tournaments you have creative forms divisions, musical empty hand kata, musical weapon kata, sparring divisions, braking divisions, team sparring, Jiu Jitsu competitions, Judo tournaments

Scarey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The PKC has a Self-Defense routine event, with all of their standard rank and age divisions. The person defending is the competitor, who has devised a few short attack and defense scenarios. They go out with their attacker(s) and preform their defenses. Then they are judged in a manner similar to forms. Other groups may or may not do this too. I really don't know.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of these type events

1) Point fighting
2) Semi Contact
3) Full Contact
a) knees/elbows allowed (Muay Thai style)
b) knees/elbows not allowed
c) Kyokushin style, full contact, but no head punches
4) San Shou Kickboxing (allows throws)
5) Submission grappling (no strikes)
6) Shooto (MMA with no closed fist strikes to head)
7) Boxing
a) amateur--wear headgear
b) pro-style
8) Judo tournaments
9) Wrestling
a) Greco-Roman
b) Freestyle
10) MMA

I know there are probably alot more just pertaining to the fighting categories, but these are all I can think of off the top of my head.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's Cuong Nhu Sparring and Randori. Those are both a kick in the nuts all by themselves (literally, Cuong Nhu sparring allows groin shots).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know there are probably alot more just pertaining to the fighting categories, but these are all I can think of off the top of my head.

What about weapons competitions, especially those that involve contact? I know "Cold Steel" (the knife company) sponsored one a while back, and of course there are the Dog Bros. Gatherings, but what else is out there?
I've heard of various FMA competitions. Is there a standardized format or rules? Do they generally allow punching and grappling too?

Latest Discussions