Senior Master
Reaction score
Tonight's:

*"Tabata" Intervals- each station 20s all-out work, 10s rest, move onto next:
1:
-(Bag) Constant punches
-Squats
-Pushups
-(Bag) Constant round kicks (1st round just right, 2nd round just left)

Repeat to make it 8 rounds total.

Rest 2 minutes.

2:
-(Bag) High jab, high front leg round kick, mid cross, mid jab, low back leg round kick (I call this the "Jin combo", as it's a combo Jin Kazama does on the game Tekken, it's awesome haha)
-Free shadowsparring
-Full burpees
-(Bag) Jab cross switch-kick

Repeat to make it 8 rounds.

Total: 28m incl warmup

(Also afterwards as a cooldown I did Sanseiru kata 3 times: 1x slow good technique, 1x full power application/dynamics, 1x relaxed and no stopping flow, adding 7m)

(*I put "Tabata" as such as it isn't TRUE Tabata protocol; people use that term way too willynilly! Just using the same work/rest ratios and number of rounds, but still trying to go "all-out". It is however, NOT technically Tabata. A pet peeve of mine haha)

Ebay White Belt

White Belt
Reaction score
Decided on short notice to enter a tournament in three weeks time on the 29th. It's the State championships Kyokushin tournament, they have the noncontact in the morning and the full contact/knockdown in the afternoon. I'll be competing in the noncontact (light contact to body), and not sure yet what divisions there are.

It's continuous sparring format (2 minute rounds) which I've never competed in before so should be interesting and a great experience. I definitely prefer point sparring and love that style of competition, but I figure this tournament will help a bit in preparing for the other ones I want to enter later in the year.

Three weeks only to prep haha, but I'm not gonna take it too seriously. I'll up my training a little bit and do what I can, but definitely going to be a very relaxed preparation.

Looking forward to it :)

P.S. I'll post my other tournaments I enter here too just for funsies.
Hello goid luck. I did one tournament in my early 20s in early 2000. I would like to compete in the light contact competition style. Does every tournament have a light contact only to the body or is it just only for Kyokushin? Would they let a non Kyokushin person compete in the light contact or is it only for Kyokushin practicioners.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello goid luck. I did one tournament in my early 20s in early 2000. I would like to compete in the light contact competition style. Does every tournament have a light contact only to the body or is it just only for Kyokushin? Would they let a non Kyokushin person compete in the light contact or is it only for Kyokushin practicioners.
Hey thanks! This tournament was 5 years ago hehe but appreciate it nevertheless!

Awesome, it's going to vary between regions. Check around for different tournaments. In the Kyokushin tournaments here, some have only non-contact and the full contact knockdown divisions. Then others have something in between, with full padding etc. They should let non-Kyokushin people in (ours did) but check with the tournament organisers.

Then in other non-Kyokushin groups (other tournament circuits) they will have point sparring (none to light contact) and continuous sparring (contact, but not excessive). Check with your instructor and around the area as it will vary heaps, good luck!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
So... was planning for a long time to enter a tournament happening tomorrow but covid has wrecked me and still very unwell even a week later. So it's a no go unfortunately...

It's a different tournament I wanted to try compared to the others (and very local too!) and I would have entered two categories: forms, and something called light kick which is the contact division. Wanted to branch off from point sparring, and I got my first taste of continuous sparring last year so wanted to explore it more. 2 minute rounds, not excessive contact or knockouts or anything, but clear hits and techniques, most strikes in I think wins.

Next time hopefully!