Who are your favorite WC/WT/VT fighters?

jeffmak

White Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say Sifu Wong Shun Leung. He used to take part in Beimo (challenge matches) all the time to test his VT. He was called ‘Gong Sau Wong’ (“King of Talking Hands”).

I too would say Sifu Wong Shun Leung.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I too would say Sifu Wong Shun Leung.

Wong Shun Leung was a true fighter and one of"the greats" of WC... but his Hong Kong fights took place over half a century ago and he's been dead for over a decade. What about living fighters?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wong Shun Leung was a true fighter and one of"the greats" of WC... but his Hong Kong fights took place over half a century ago and he's been dead for over a decade. What about living fighters?

There seems to be a recent emergence of Wong Shun Leung schools coming to the front claiming to be the best thing ever

Its all got pretty political and its a shame, because WSL himself has a good reputation

Some of the schools ar egreat, while others seem to have copied the moves off of youtube!!

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If William Cheung told me it was raining outside , I would have to go outside and check.

God your funny! Missed you! lol...
Hurting me bad, Sailers?! That's funny on all the wrong levels...

I won't even bother stating my WC/WT/VT favorite fighters, there are too many.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gary Lam has been impressing me of late. Not only with his wing chun, but his comments about how people are trading off the WSL name instead of finding their own skill

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Really? Some of yoiu are really going to base your answer on Beimo that ocured 50 years ago?

Here is a link to a wing chun rooftop beimo from the 1950's. You are really going to use these fights as your basis for deciding Wong Shun Leung or anyone else was a great fighter?

The measure of a fighter is based on his opponents. Who have any of you ever seen fight a high caliber opponent? Otherwise its all just hero worship and conjecture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the video! I guess they do look pretty sloppy and I don't know these folks people are referring to.

To pick a favorite Wing Chun fighter....., I really don't think that there are any Wing Chun "fighters" out there right now. There are teachers, students and practitioners but I haven't seen anyone use Wing Chun in a "fight" yet. Honestly.

Still searching video on Youtube, only found that one guy off Comegetyousome.com (everyone said it was a fake pit fight video)
Haven't seen anyone compete actually using any Wing Chun in any type of ring or tournament. Although I've done it and it's not that hard. (would love to if anyone has a video!)

MonsterJ

White Belt
Reaction score
My favorite WC practitioner still living is prolly Gary Lam. Past... ummm, i'd have to say Wong Shun Leung... there are some vid's of Gary Lam on Youtube , but i dont have the link's atm.

Im sure alot of you guys and gals are familiar with him though.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite WC practitioner still living is prolly Gary Lam. Past... ummm, i'd have to say Wong Shun Leung... there are some vid's of Gary Lam on Youtube , but i dont have the link's atm.

Im sure alot of you guys and gals are familiar with him though.

Only seen him and that's plenty. Awesome Wing Chun Man! He's funny too, like that in a teacher. :)

Nicholas82555

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Someone said, "this is all subjective" and that's true. We all have our favorites BUT let's not forget the ones you don't hear about. The ones who shun the spotlight. The one who you don't think knows jack.....yet he hands your head to you:)))))

Svemocn1vidar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wing Tsun - Emin Boztepe (Ting)
Ving Tsun - Gary Lam,Philip Bayer (WSL)
Traditional Wing Chun - Predrag and Nenad Koviljac (Cheung)

Latest Discussions