Which workout will give you better health benefit?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let's compare the following 2 different workouts. Which one will give you better health benefit? Assume both workouts will take 1 and 1/2 hour.

1 - Repeat your MA form N time non-stop for 1 and 1/2 hour.

2 - Walk for 1 and 1/2 hour (a bit over 3 miles). While you are walking, you can drill your punch combos, kick combos, throw combos, kick/punch combos, ... at the same time.

Example of

punch combo - hook punch, back fist, over hand.
kick combo - front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick.
throw combo - foot sweep, inner hook, outer hook.
kick/punch combo - groin kick, face punch, hammer fist.

When I try method

- 1, I find out that I don't have enough motivation to do my form non-stop for 1 and 1/2 hour.
- 2, since I have to cover the 3 miles distance, I have no option but keep going until I finish my workout.

So method 2 is easier for me to do daily. Which method do you prefer?

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's compare the following 2 different workouts. Which one will give you better health benefit? Assume both workouts will take 1 and 1/2 hour.

2 - Walk for 1 and 1/2 hour (a bit over 3 miles). While you are walking, you can drill your punch combos, kick combos, throw combos, kick/punch combos, ... at the same time.

Example of

When I try method

- 1, I find out that I don't have enough motivation to do my form non-stop for 1 and 1/2 hour.
- 2, since I have to cover the 3 miles distance, I have no option but keep going until I finish my workout.

I think the difference between the two is highly individual and mainly a matter of preference. In my opinion, intensity is much, much, more important than duration (for general health improvements and athletic performance both), so whichever of the two motivates someone to train harder seems like the better choice. For me, that would probably be #1 because I prefer not to do my MA training in the view of the general public.

I really prefer that the duration of my workouts be tied to exhaustion or a specific goal other than a set time. If I plan to go for 90 minutes and I want to reach optimal results I have to be able to pace myself accurately enough to be significantly taxed at the end, but not so exhausted that I can't finish. So, for instance, if I were to choose option #2, instead of going for 90 minutes I'd base my workout on distance. I'd choose a path that was 3.5 miles (or whatever I felt was appropriate for my goals) long and then try to cover it in as short a time as possible, doing as many combos as possible, while maintaining acceptable form. I'm much more motivated to complete something than I am to simply grind out the clock. I also think (at least for me) that this promotes increased intensity which, I believe, provides a greater benefit than simply going through the motions at a low intensity for a longer time period.

That being said, I don't tend to do any single, specific, physical activity for 90 minutes and generally don't find time bound or distance based activities to be particularly useful for me. If I do base a workout duration on time or distance, it's because I'm trying to optimize my metabolic adaptions for a specific activity. If I wanted to train to go 5, 5 minute rounds, with a 1 minute rest in between, that's how I'd train. I'd work on upping my intensity every 5 minute "round" of training rather than trying to extend the length or number of rounds. If I wanted to complete a 5K in the shortest time possible I'd run 5 kilometers as often as I could and attempt to shorten my time with each run. I find it much more motivating, and based on my research and personal experience, much more effective, than grinding things out for some arbitrary time period.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd run 5 kilometers as often as I could and attempt to shorten my time with each run.
Maybe I should say this workout is designed for old people only.

I have run for the past 40 years. This year, I just decide to protect my knees and change my 3 miles running into 3 miles fast walking (I like running so much and I can't live without it). I then feel guilty to do just fast walking. I decide to integrate my MA training along with my fast walking.

When I do my 3 miles fast walking if I feel

- lazy, I will do my punching drills.
- not lazy, I will do my kicking drills, or kick/punch drills.

IMO, kicking takes 3 times more energy than punching.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’d go for 2, which me and the wife do. We utilize a 3 mile loop and or the numerous trailsI in our neighborhood. I usually slow jog with my garrote. I do all my amaras, angles of attack and striking drills both right and left handed. This routine expends a lot of energy and is an excellent workout.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
No but seriously, to me the one you can do most consistently will be the one that gets you the most health benefits. If you find #1 too difficult, monotonous or uninteresting, go with #2.

Skill refining is a different thing however, and repeating a form would be ideal. But if the motivation is health benefits whichever one suits you better, you're able to do consistently (the variety in #2 may be more interesting), and has an appropriate intensity for you.

I love doing a form over and over and don't find it monotonous at all. There are actually sooo many different ways to train your form, and using it more as an "exploration in the theme of *insert form name here*" can be really insightful. You can also emphasise certain sections of the form, alter the timing and flow, focus solely on power, rhythm, speed of transitions, stances, breathing, super slow etc.. endless variety in a single form I tell ya!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thread.....I probable would incorporate both depending on how I feel.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
#1, without any doubt.

I recently learned to thread iron silk in ocean waves. It kind of felt like this:

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you get older, you may not be able to do jumping kicks that exist in your form. The form training method may force you to train something that you no longer feel comfortable to do. When you do walk/drill method, you can do whatever that you may feel comfortable with.

IMO, by using method of

- form training, you only train what your style wants you to train.
- walk/drill, you can train beyond your style (such as MT flying knee, Karate flying side kick, TKD spin back kick, boxing punching combo, ...).

When you do the following 10 moves punching combo with walking,

- right jab, left cross, right hook, left hook, right uppercut, left uppercut, right overhand, right back fist, left overhand left back fist.

You will realize that you are training MA in general. You are not training any particular MA system. It will give you a feeling of freedom.

The following drill is one of my favors. It can help people to remain good balance and have less chance to fall down during old age.

leg-lift.gif

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you get older, you may not be able to do jumping kicks that exist in your form. The form training method may force you to train something that you no longer feel comfortable to do. When you do walk/drill method, you can do whatever that you may feel comfortable with.

IMO, by using method of

- form training, you only train what your style wants you to train.
- walk/drill, you can train beyond your style (such as MT flying knee, Karate flying side kick, TKD spin back kick, ...).
If I'm training forms and there's something in the forms I physically cannot do, I just modify the form. If the form calls for a jump spin back kick, I'll do a spin back kick. Do you really think there are that many people who wouldn't do the same?

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I'm training forms and there's something in the forms I physically cannot do, I just modify the form. If the form calls for a jump spin back kick, I'll do a spin back kick. Do you really think there are that many people who wouldn't do the same?
Great point as our kata evolves, as we age.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Example of

When I try method

I would have thought that workouts were specific to whatever we do. We develop a very specific muscle set when training. I always have my students work out towards those ends Years ago we would train to the point of collapse by enforcing non stop activity. Nowadays it seems to be more beneficial to take a break and re hydrate. Then again we do train in the high 30c in summer.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
we would train to the point of collapse by enforcing non stop activity.
There is diferent between you force yourself to train vs. you enjoy to train. I can force myself to train much harder than I want to. But I may not do that everyday.

My Chinese wrestling teacher was a strong man. He told me that in his teacher's front yard, there was a double heads weight bar that was so heavy that everytime he saw it, he would hate it.

When we get older, we want to design a training program that we enjoy of doing. I believe it can benefit for everybody if we can all share our personal experience.

In another thread, someone asked for workout suggestion for 75 years old. I suggested 3 miles walking along with punching drills. I had 4 persons disagree with my suggestion. Only 1 person agrees with my suggestion. I just can't believe that some people may think "walking + punching" can be hard for 75 years old.

To repeat the following kicking combo along with 3 miles walking may be hard for some 75 years old.

- inside crescent kick, outside crescent kick.
- roundhouse kick, side kick.
- side stretch kick, leg lift.

If you can do this side stretch kick, leg lift combo daily, you will never feel old. IMO, this is the best workout for older people.

Side stretch kick:

side-stretch-kick.gif

Leg lift:

leg-lift-solo.gif

Last edited:

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When we get older, we want to design a training program that we enjoy of doing. I believe it can benefit for everybody if we can all share our personal experience.

In another thread, someone asked for workout suggestion for 75 years old. I suggested 3 miles walking along with punching drills. I had 4 persons disagree with my suggestion. Only 1 person agrees with my suggestion. I just can't believe that some people may think "walking + punching" can be hard for 75 years old.

leg-lift-solo.gif
Lol, that must be sprightly 75 year old. I have resolved myself to the fact that the best exercise I get at 74 is sleep. We do what we can within our age limits. But for sure we will only improve with effort we have made. My pain in former years was probably mental more than anything. But I did this as a professional and not part time. Japanese split the two things and do both every day. One is keiko (practice based on the old way). The other they call "toreining".

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lol, that must be sprightly 75 year old. I have resolved myself to the fact that the best exercise I get at 74 is sleep. We do what we can within our age limits. But for sure we will only improve with effort we have made. My pain in former years was probably mental more than anything. But I did this as a professional and not part time. Japanese split the two things and do both every day. One is keiko (practice based on the old way). The other they call "toreining".
I'm 75 this year. I'll never suggest any workout that I have not done myself.

I just finished 8 miles walking today (with some punching drill). If I can walk 8 miles, to suggest 3 miles walking should be a conservative suggestion.

The way that I look at this is "If you don't use it, you will lose it."

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm 75 this year. I'll never suggest any workout that I have not done myself.

I just finished 8 miles walking today (with some punching drill). If I can walk 8 miles, to suggest 3 miles walking should be a conservative suggestion.

The way that I look at this is "If you don't use it, you will lose it."
I haven't lost it yet. I have national team members to train for the next world championships. My energy is expounded in fighting not walking. But after teaching/training for so many years my knees are not what they were. When I look at myself now I am starting to get reminded of my old headmaster. He had allowed people to hit him on the head so much (wearing armor but it still impacts). His hearing was destroyed and he wore those old pocket type hearing aids. The there was his walking stick! Coming through Japanese customs security want him to divest himself of the aids and the stick to go through the detector. I took them to one side to tell them who he was. After that deep bows and, "please go though". But take away the aids and the stick in the dojo with bokuto in his hands? He was terrifying to say the least.

Attachments

• Imai.jpg
    Imai.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 41

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To repeat the following kicking combo along with 3 miles walking may be hard for some 75 years old.

- inside crescent kick, outside crescent kick.
- roundhouse kick, side kick.
- side stretch kick, leg lift.
That would've been hard for me at 30, when I was "fighting fit". The idea of doing kicks over a 3-mile stretch just sounds like pain to me (we never trained kicks a lot - they were an ancillary tool).

But more to the point of your post, there's little I would care to do for a 3-mile stretch while walking. Anything that repetitive would bore me senseless. With running (when I could do distance running) I could think of other things, because the movement was so simple. But with kicks and punches, not paying attention to them while doing them seems a recipe for developing bad habits, and I'm just not capable of paying attention to them over a 3-mile walk.

I also question whether I'd be able to maintain good enough form to avoid repetitive strain injuries. Even at 52, I seem to get joint issues when I do any single motion (or series of motions) that repetitively. Longer forms and freestyle work (bag work or shadow boxing) seems to give me fewer issues.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anything that repetitive would bore me senseless.
Serious MA training can be boring. If you drill 250 hip throws non-stop, it can be quite boring.

It won't be too boring if you just repeat each drill 20 times.

I don't like to train just 1 punch or just 1 kick. I like to train 3 punches combo, 2 kicks combo.

I have 40 3 punches combo and 24 2 kicks combo. If I just repeat each combo 20 times, that will be

40 x 3 x 20 = 2400 punches and
24 x 2 x 20 = 960 kicks.

That will be more than enough to cover 3 miles distance.

Latest Discussions