Which of these two punching techniques do you prefer and why?

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Which of these two punching techniques do you prefer and why?

On this corner, we got boxing punches in general.

On the other corner, we got the “battering ram” style of punches in karate and wing chun.

Which one would you use and why?

I’m particularly fond of the standard karate punch because of this main reason: It’s better in a real brawl.

For one, it looks cool as hell. Number two, there’s less chances of injury compared to boxing punches. And lastly, I actually know how to do it. lol

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which two punch techniques are you asking of. There are more than one punch in the wing chun I study. Though I no longer train Karate when I did there were more than one punch in the system I studied.
We have straight punches, curved punches, uppercut punches, shovel punches, and numerous variations of each. Same in boxing several different punches. So which punch technique are you asking about.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Taekwondo punches I use I understand to be similar to Karate punches, and I've never seen a battering ram twist like a Karate punch does.

I'm not sure how you get that there's less chance of injury with a "traditional" punch compared to a "boxing" punch. I also don't understand how "looks cool as hell" is a criteria that matters in a real brawl.

Personally, I prefer the boxing style of punches. I prefer to have my guard up.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Which two punch techniques are you asking of. There are more than one punch in the wing chun I study. Though I no longer train Karate when I did there were more than one punch in the system I studied.
We have straight punches, curved punches, uppercut punches, shovel punches, and numerous variations of each. Same in boxing several different punches. So which punch technique are you asking about.

I should've been more precise. Sorry...

When I say "boxing punches", I mean punches that involve a lot of "athletic swinging". The "swinging punches" to be precise, where you "swing" your gloves like it's a sledgehammer, putting your bodyweight behind it. Like a loose hook.

In Wing Chun and Karate, I speak primarily of straight punches. Chokozuki for Karate. For Wing Chun, I don't know the name. It's a straight punch where you're instructed to keep your arm bent when you reach contact with the foe's body, and then push forward as if you're "continuing" the punch. I'm not sure if that was a clear-enough definition. Sorry.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When I say "boxing punches", I mean punches that involve a lot of "athletic swinging". The "swinging punches" to be precise, where you "swing" your gloves like it's a sledgehammer, putting your bodyweight behind it. Like a loose hook.

In Wing Chun and Karate, I speak primarily of straight punches. Chokozuki for Karate. For Wing Chun, I don't know the name. It's a straight punch where you're instructed to keep your arm bent when you reach contact with the foe's body, and then push forward as if you're "continuing" the punch. I'm not sure if that was a clear-enough definition. Sorry.
(OT Note: There's no push at the end of the punch.)

I prefer straight punches to round punches, in general. I like the boxing jab and straight right. I consider the overhand right more of a curving punch, and it provides nice range. I like a left hook to the body (chance of a liver shot), or hooks in general if I want to punch in-close. If I'm driving straight in, I'm far more likely to use Karate-style straight punches. I'm faster with my Karate-style punches in most cases, so they are likely to be my setup punches.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Taekwondo punches I use I understand to be similar to Karate punches, and I've never seen a battering ram twist like a Karate punch does.

I'm not sure how you get that there's less chance of injury with a "traditional" punch compared to a "boxing" punch. I also don't understand how "looks cool as hell" is a criteria that matters in a real brawl.

Personally, I prefer the boxing style of punches. I prefer to have my guard up.

When I mentioned the battering ram, I was referring to the "thrusting forward motion" involved in the punch. And the intent too. The intent of a chokozuki in karate is to drive your fist forward as if you're stabbing somebody with a spear.

As opposed to swinging a sledgehammer which relies on momentum and destruction at the point of impact. A boxing punch.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I mentioned the battering ram, I was referring to the "thrusting forward motion" involved in the punch. And the intent too. The intent of a chokozuki in karate is to drive your fist forward as if you're stabbing somebody with a spear.

As opposed to swinging a sledgehammer which relies on momentum and destruction at the point of impact. A boxing punch.
Both are impact weapons, and rely more or less upon momentum and destruction at the point of impact.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like both. I mix and match a bit, and find they work well together.

??? Mixing karate punches and boxing punches?? How does that work? The stance is different for each. It's hard to imagine how you can deliver a karate punch when you're guard is up boxing style.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Both are impact weapons, and rely more or less upon momentum and destruction at the point of impact.

Maybe a better comparison would be a spear versus a sledgehammer. That's more like it. Thrusting versus swinging.

Or a ballista...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

1. Boxing uses straight punches just as much as curved punches. More so, really.
  2. Loose hooks aren't really that characteristic of boxing, although they are used occasionally. Tight hooks are generally preferred. If you want to see long range "haymaker" style arm swings, there are several styles of CMA which utilize that tactic.
  3. Karate doesn't exclusively use straight punches.
  4. Properly done punches should always be backed up by body weight, whether you're doing boxing, karate, Wing Chun, or any other system.
  5. Aiming your punch through your target is pretty standard in most systems. Pushing your punch through your target is not good technique, regardless of the style.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not quite sure you know boxing punches very well. Some of the straightest punches there are are a boxers jab and cross. A karate punch starts from the chamber, and rises as it moves forward. The boxers punch starts up on the level where it will impact. The boxers punch only moves straight forward. Even the hook punches should be compact, and connected to the body. Same with upper cuts. All these punches generate power from the feet, through the body.

Now, if you are talking about a haymaker punch... then you are talking about swinging a sledge hammer. But even boxers know that the best counter to the haymaker is a proper boxers jab and or cross. Since the boxing punches are shorter, and more linear, they get to the target much faster.

Are you talking about proper boxing punches or are you talking about haymaker punches? (the ones most often seen in MMA)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
??? Mixing karate punches and boxing punches?? How does that work? The stance is different for each. It's hard to imagine how you can deliver a karate punch when you're guard is up boxing style.
In use, you don't get to start from a full Karate-style chamber. If you tried that in sparring, you'd get hit on that side every time you chambered. To keep yourself covered, you have to learn to deliver that same mechanic without re-chambering. And not from the standard Karate stances, either, when sparring/moving.

NGA's fighting stance is a "modified American" - something like what you'd see some kickboxers use, with the feet roughly parallel, about 45 degrees to the centerline. That can easily be used for both kinds of punches, with small weight shifts. My guard also adjusts between an outside guard (standard fare in some Karate styles - hands well forward of the body) and a standard boxing-style guard, and anywhere in between, as the situation dictates.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe a better comparison would be a spear versus a sledgehammer. That's more like it. Thrusting versus swinging.

Or a ballista...
A spear is not an impact weapon. And not all boxing punches are swinging punches. What you're describing is more the difference between round strikes (especially haymakers) and straight strikes (especially compact ones). Both eastern martial arts and western martial arts have both, though not all styles have both.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think what he meant was that one relies on momentum of the fist to swing through the target, while the other relies on focused follow-through. A haymaker (which it seems he's talking about as a "boxing" punch) will probably hit with the arm extended, and the hand will swing through using the shoulder as a lever, while a straight punch will usually hit with the elbow bent, and you must continue to push the hand forward and lock the elbow to follow-through. At least, that's the idea I get from his post.

I agree with Tony fully. Boxing specializes in punches (because they're all that's allowed), but both boxing and karate will have lots of different types of punches.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Aiming your punch through your target is pretty standard in most systems. Pushing your punch through your target is not good technique, regardless of the style.

Check out 2:10 to 2:25 in this video. The guy instructs you to push through your opponent.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am not quite sure you know boxing punches very well. Some of the straightest punches there are are a boxers jab and cross. A karate punch starts from the chamber, and rises as it moves forward. The boxers punch starts up on the level where it will impact. The boxers punch only moves straight forward. Even the hook punches should be compact, and connected to the body. Same with upper cuts. All these punches generate power from the feet, through the body.

Now, if you are talking about a haymaker punch... then you are talking about swinging a sledge hammer. But even boxers know that the best counter to the haymaker is a proper boxers jab and or cross. Since the boxing punches are shorter, and more linear, they get to the target much faster.

Are you talking about proper boxing punches or are you talking about haymaker punches? (the ones most often seen in MMA)

Haymakers. Or loose hooks.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think what he meant was that one relies on momentum of the fist to swing through the target, while the other relies on focused follow-through. A haymaker (which it seems he's talking about as a "boxing" punch) will probably hit with the arm extended, and the hand will swing through using the shoulder as a lever, while a straight punch will usually hit with the elbow bent, and you must continue to push the hand forward and lock the elbow to follow-through. At least, that's the idea I get from his post.

I agree with Tony fully. Boxing specializes in punches (because they're all that's allowed), but both boxing and karate will have lots of different types of punches.

That's exactly what I meant. Thanks.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's exactly what I meant. Thanks.

The problem is that the haymaker is not what I would consider to be a boxing punch. That's more like the type of punch someone throws on the street when they have no formal martial arts training.

Latest Discussions