Which of these two punching techniques do you prefer and why?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I should've been more precise. Sorry...

When I say "boxing punches", I mean punches that involve a lot of "athletic swinging". The "swinging punches" to be precise, where you "swing" your gloves like it's a sledgehammer, putting your bodyweight behind it. Like a loose hook.

In Wing Chun and Karate, I speak primarily of straight punches. Chokozuki for Karate. For Wing Chun, I don't know the name. It's a straight punch where you're instructed to keep your arm bent when you reach contact with the foe's body, and then push forward as if you're "continuing" the punch. I'm not sure if that was a clear-enough definition. Sorry.

I like clean disciplined technical punches. They are generally less effort for more effect.

I don't know how that is defined by system.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Check out 2:10 to 2:25 in this video. The guy instructs you to push through your opponent.

Yeah don't. It is a trap.

I know people say that but it is just not really true. What happens is a lot of the effort that you have put in to the punch is then used in the push. So you think you are punching hard but in reality you are not.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah don't. It is a trap.

I know people say that but it is just not really true. What happens is a lot of the effort that you have put in to the punch is then used in the push. So you think you are punching hard but in reality you are not.

Okay. So just to be clear, you are saying that the instructor in the video shown was wrong, right?

I just wanted to be sure we're on the same page.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check out 2:10 to 2:25 in this video. The guy instructs you to push through your opponent.

Master Wong isn't expressing himself as clearly as he might in that clip. Then again, I'm not sure English is his first language.

He's making the point that your can use your body structure and movement to project force through your opponent even without having your arm completely straight. This is standard for pretty much any striking art. He uses a push to demonstrate that structure, but in actual striking application it would be just impact.
Haymakers. Or loose hooks.

In that case you aren't really talking about boxing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay. So just to be clear, you are saying that the instructor in the video shown was wrong, right?

I just wanted to be sure we're on the same page.

Ok. 2 examples.

here is your boxing punch ko.

Hand impacts the head. then you see the head separate from the hand. Or no push. This would be your karate style punch.

Here is a slow motion Ko compilation where you will see some karate style punches and some of what you call boxing style punches.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like the post is "which do you prefer, bad technique or martial arts technique."

It is not necessarily a bad technique. People do get knocked out pretty frequently with loose bolo style punches.

There is just a lot more to the conversation than what is good or bad.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. 2 examples.

here is your boxing punch ko.

Hand impacts the head. then you see the head separate from the hand. Or no push. This would be your karate style punch.

Here is a slow motion Ko compilation where you will see some karate style punches and some of what you call boxing style punches.

So it's about follow-through vs. pulling back right away? I didn't think that was a style difference, more an individual difference and whether you're going for power or speed. Unless you're talking about a style that exclusively focuses on one trait, I don't think saying "boxing" vs. "karate" is useful here.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So it's about follow-through vs. pulling back right away? I didn't think that was a style difference, more an individual difference and whether you're going for power or speed. Unless you're talking about a style that exclusively focuses on one trait, I don't think saying "boxing" vs. "karate" is useful here.

He explained the definition. It is easier just to work with that than nut out some twenty page semantic rubbish about which styles punch like what.

I mean I used a boxing example for a "karate" punch there. But I think that crisp technical type of punch was what he was getting at.

I throw both. Depends what i want to do. But I prefer karate punches because they are more economical. So I can throw more of them before my arms give up. Now If I get an opportunity to load and throw a boxing punch I will.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Any way I can move my hand from where it is to the chosen target, while generating power, is what I like.

I work on several hand techniques, from little short str8 body shots to hooks that sneak around a gaurd. Variety is the spice of life.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
??? Mixing karate punches and boxing punches?? How does that work? The stance is different for each. It's hard to imagine how you can deliver a karate punch when you're guard is up boxing style.

It's not difficult. At least if you train it. And some karate stances are just boxing stances [and vice versa] with different clothes on. And not all karate punches are thrown from a chambered position, or from a guard up position.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
??? Mixing karate punches and boxing punches?? How does that work? The stance is different for each. It's hard to imagine how you can deliver a karate punch when you're guard is up boxing style.

If you actually knew anything about Karate, you'd know that there is no such thing as a "karate punch" but rather there are lots. Thrown in different ways. From different positions.
If you got some actual MA training, we wouldn't have to explain things that should be painfully obvious.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you actually knew anything about Karate, you'd know that there is no such thing as a "karate punch" but rather there are lots. Thrown in different ways. From different positions.
If you got some actual MA training, we wouldn't have to explain things that should be painfully obvious.

He probably watched two videos, one which showed how to do a "boxing punch" and one which showed how to do a "karate punch".

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not difficult. At least if you train it. And some karate stances are just boxing stances [and vice versa] with different clothes on. And not all karate punches are thrown from a chambered position, or from a guard up position.
Yep basically I see no difference from my karate reverse punch that I always throw and my cross in Muay Thai I throw them both the same way and both coaches have always been fine with it

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What you are thinking is a karate punch is just an idealised form. The karate punch can be delivered from a guard just as easily as a boxing punch. There is very little difference between the two.

Wing chun punches are quite different, at least the little wing chun I've directly experienced.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that's why you don't use the Internet to learn martial arts you end up watching rubbish like that

But... but... His Brilliance has already told us that he can throw perfect techniques because he watched them on YouTube. Even if his techniques hurt HIM (which he has also stated) they're still perfect.

Latest Discussions