Which kick generates the most power?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which kick do you think generates the most power for you and why? I believe that different MAist because of their size and strength and body structure would generate different results. I knew a woman in my class once that could round house kick like you wouldn't believe. She used to leave bruises on my forearms when I would used a forearm pad and almost knock me on my butt. :)

So what say you? Roundhouse, snap kick, back kick, side kick? Which one do you believe is the most power generating for you?

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw the roundhouse in the mix. Not the fastest kick but a great deal of power.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. Some can generate rotational power quite nicely (round kick, hook kick, crescent kicks), but may have weaker linear (front kick, side kick) power, due to any number of factors. The opposite can certainly be true as well, where someone has great linear power, but may be lacking in rotational power. Others may be able equally capable with both linear and rotational kicks.

For me, it's the side kick that generates the most, followed by the spinning hook kick.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been told my roundhouse is very strong; so, I'd say it's my best, in terms of effectiveness. My front snap is quick; but, not as powerful.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
My front snap is quick; but, not as powerful.

Same here..Sometimes that "not too powerful" little snap makes ALL the difference..

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Back kick. My round house is strong, my front kick/side kick is strong, but i can do the most damage with a back kick.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
Same here..Sometimes that "not too powerful" little snap makes ALL the difference..

Agreed! It's efficient in terms of placing my opponant off-balance or blocking the kick and giving me an opening.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My most effective kick is my roundhouse to the leg - no question. But my strongest kick is my crossover sidekick - I just find that it isn't as easy to use in sparring, so it is less effective for me.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
My most effective kick is my roundhouse to the leg - no question. But my strongest kick is my crossover sidekick - I just find that it isn't as easy to use in sparring, so it is less effective for me.

I'd say that the crossover thrust is the kick that has made me fly the farthest but yeah, it's tough to get the distance required in a sparring situation.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me it would be the back kick and the side kick second. Good for stopping a charge.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
a Downward, hard-driving STOMP!!
I think that's the kick that generates the most power, because it has the greatest abount of back-up Mass behind it and it drives in with the hardest part of the foot.

I know you may think my post is trying to be funny, but it's not.

The stomp gets my vote.

Your Brother
John

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good 'ol roundhouse.
Opening of the hips and follow thru.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From working with my wave master bag I would have to vote for the spinning back kick. It’s not super fast or flashy but it seems to send my bag into the blinds and gets me yelled at by the wife. LOL

T

TheBattousai

For me it varies, I think that the hook kick, side kick, front thrust kick, wheel kick, back thrust kick, mountain stomp, and (very much) the roundoff kick are some good ones in terms of power and devastation if you connect with them at full force. Those are just some of my choices though.

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
a Downward, hard-driving STOMP!!
I think that's the kick that generates the most power, because it has the greatest abount of back-up Mass behind it and it drives in with the hardest part of the foot.

"Enter the Dragon," anyone? The finishing move to end all finishing moves.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me I'll have to go with the round kick.

Mike

Latest Discussions