Interesting Q for all....

T

TheBattousai

I was asked this question some time ago and I was wondering what everyone's opinion might be about it...

What is the greatest act of a courageous martial artist?

I'm just curious about the results.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it would be the same for a martial artist as it would for any other person: to sacrifice one's self for the safety of one without defenses and/or for a greater good.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
The most courageous would be to give ones life to save anothers.

The most intellegent would be to deescalate/control a situation before you need to give your life to save anothers.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To act unsellfullness in the face of death, we as MA'ers need to uphold the tradition of said Art to help protect those that cannot help themself.
Terry

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
The true meaning of the martial way lies not in victory or defeat, but rather, in patience, sincerety, honesty and benevolence. Living according to this and helping your fellow man is the greatest achievement there is.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The most corageous...is never quitting till you reach the pinnacle of your art...is pushing yourself to the limit today, and whistling as you put on your gi tommorow!

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Saving a hot chick from evil ninjas, of course. What else is there?:ladysman:

Seriously, though, the greatest act is to live your life in the service of the ideals of MA.

The greatest sacrafice would be to protect those that can not protect themselves at the cost of your own life.

IMHO.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
Saving a hot chick from evil ninjas, of course. What else is there?:ladysman:

Seriously, though, the greatest act is to live your life in the service of the ideals of MA.

The greatest sacrafice would be to protect those that can not protect themselves at the cost of your own life.

IMHO.

I agree with you rat...there is nothing else....but really...A Martial Artist is just another human being, that happens to have training in Defence...A Martial Artists sacrifice is the same as a Normal persons. Except we fight Evil ninjas

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
I was asked this question some time ago and I was wondering what everyone's opinion might be about it...

I'm just curious about the results.

The same as the greatest act of a courageous non-martial artist - standing up for what is right, because it is right. There's a reason that many MAs, religions, service organizations - any organization that teaches, demonstrates, or encompasses a moral component - have the same basic set of beliefs: because they are the basis of morality. As an example, the Tenets of TKD are: courtesty, integrity, perseverance, self-control, and indomitable spirit; the core values of the YMCA are [SIZE=-1]caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility; a boy scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent - the examples are nearly limitless.

The difference between a courageous martial artist and a non-martial artist is in the tools each may have available to perform that right act - a courageous person is a courageous person.
[/SIZE]

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
The same as the greatest act of a courageous non-martial artist - standing up for what is right, because it is right. [SIZE=-1]

The difference between a courageous martial artist and a non-martial artist is in the tools each may have available to perform that right act - a courageous person is a courageous person.
[/SIZE]

Agree 100%. The most corageous act is to choose what is right over what is easy. Whether that means extending a hand to strike away someone mugging someone else...or whether that means extending a hand to reach out to a person in need of a friend or a mentor. A courageous person does not shy away from the right choice because it is difficult. A courageous person picks the right choice because it's right.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
IMHO the same as the act of a non-MAist... risking one's life to save another. :asian:

OP
G

Gary Crawford

All great reponse's that I agree with,but one of the toughest one's is swallowing one's pride by backing down when you know you are right and can handle the situation combatively to avoid an increasingly esculating situation and spare the innocent bystanders.Like when you are faced with some jerk who desperatly needs a butt kicking(and definatly begging for it) and you back down because you know it will result in a brawl that will not only cause property damage,but also cause others to get hurt and/or end up in jail.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
to be given all the reason in the world to fight, and not fight. there are times when it is a VERY good idea to fight back. say when the person is trying to beat up one of your buddies, and your buddy cann't fight back.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Latest Discussions