Power behind jumping strikes?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious how you all feel about how much power you can generate out of a jumping strike? I tend to believe it depends on the intent of the strike and body position in air ... would you use it in anything else besides sparring?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What kind of jumping strikes are you talking about? Jumping side kicks? Jumping hand strikes of some kind?

T

TheBattousai

The power generation depends on the exact technique I would think. Like some jumping kicks I know of generate more power than others, so things like that are relative. But yes, given the proper situation, jumping strikes have application, but the opprotunities are not always there. Know that you have them when needed, but there mainly good for working out the legs most of the time in my opinion.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Would you use it in anything else besides sparring?

Well, I run down the stairs sometimes and do a flying side kick to close the door... :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I'm curious how you all feel about how much power you can generate out of a jumping strike? I tend to believe it depends on the intent of the strike and body position in air ... would you use it in anything else besides sparring?
IMHO....

Being in the air is a rather vulnerable place to be :O Once your in the air, the opponent knows where you are going and can pre-empt your movement without any recourse of your own, since you are along for the ride until the bus stops.

From a self-defense/survival perspective, being in the air for any reason has very limited use. Probably best used for sparring or exihibitions.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
What kind of jumping strikes are you talking about? Jumping side kicks? Jumping hand strikes of some kind?
Yes. :)

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
People can break hella boards with jump kicks, but I think aerial punches compromise power. But what do I know?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jagermeister said:
People can break hella boards with jump kicks, but I think aerial punches compromise power. But what do I know?

I suppose if you launch your whole body laterally thru the air while throwing the punch it could increase power, but I'd say it's a shaky thing to do. Wouldn't recommend it in a real fight.

Overall, I would say using jumping techniques in a real fight is very risky at best. If you are good enough you might get away with it, but I wouldn't take the risk personally.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO, the main value of a jumping kick is the element of surprise. If you are decent at the execution of the kick, you will be able to cover a fairly good distance, quickly. If your opponent is not aware of your ability, you can catch him off guard with the kick because you can start the kick from a distance at which your opponent feels is safe, and he may have his guard down.

Having said that, I believe a regular standing kick (or punch) has more power for two reasons. First, if your mechanics are good, your feet are well spaced and anchored to the ground, and your hip is involved in the strike, giving you excellent leverage and power.

Secondly, the most important element of power/energy transmission is speed.
When I am first teaching someone to punch, I ask them who they would rather have run into them on the sidewalk, a 200lb man jogging at 5mph, or a 160 lb man jogging at 7mph. They always say the smaller man. Using the formula for kinetic energy: (mass/2) * Velocity ^2, you can easily calculate that the smaller man is generating more than 50% more energy than the larger man.

My point? In generating power, acceleration trumps just about everything. If you throw a good kick or punch from a solid base, and your foot (or hand) is accelerating at it hits the target, the force will be devastating.
When you jump kick, you begin to decelerate the moment you leave the ground. You may feel more powerful because your body is flying at your opponent, but I will wager that a standing kick/punch delivered properly (by getting your hips and legs into an accelerating blow) will create more power.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Wow....hope there's never anyone coming in at the same time...:uhoh:

I've been lucky thus far... heh

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
My point? In generating power, acceleration trumps just about everything. If you throw a good kick or punch from a solid base, and your foot (or hand) is accelerating at it hits the target, the force will be devastating.
When you jump kick, you begin to decelerate the moment you leave the ground. You may feel more powerful because your body is flying at your opponent, but I will wager that a standing kick/punch delivered properly (by getting your hips and legs into an accelerating blow) will create more power.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. The mechanics of the kicks don't really change in jumping variations. If they do suddenly omit using center of mass etc to generate power, power is certainly compromised, but for reasons other than deceleration. If anything, I'd think power is greater in a jump kick simply because you're coming down on the target with more of your weight, and you have no impedence from friction (which a base foot otherwise has to overcome).

For example, just from holding paddles, I certainly feel a good jumping side kick more. I typically feel a very powerful downward force generated in addition to the forward force when a good kick connects. A standing side kick will not generate that downward pulling sensation. It just displaces straight along the kick's vector with no additional forces.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say with jumping kicks, it has to do with elevating the hips to the level of the target, i.e., the head. Straight off the hip is where the kick will develop it's maximum power. Personally, I'd rather kick them in the groin and bring the head down to my hip level.

Jumping hand strikes don't make a lot of sense to me. A hand strike really needs a strong foundation, which you're not going to get if you're in the air.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, there is more power behind jumping kicks if you practice them and know how to execute the technique. We don't do jumping hand strikes.:idunno: TW

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

I'd ONLY use it IF I had to stop someone from hurting someone else (like My loved ones) and I was Very out of range.
BUT: Even then, I'd probably use a kick due to power and REACH, because it'd get there sooner.

A hand strike, when you feet are off the ground, has no real 'power', just velocity. A kick has greater velocity due to it's greater mass.
Just a thought.

Your Brother
John

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
IMO, the main value of a jumping kick is the element of surprise. If you are decent at the execution of the kick, you will be able to cover a fairly good distance, quickly. If your opponent is not aware of your ability, you can catch him off guard with the kick because you can start the kick from a distance at which your opponent feels is safe, and he may have his guard down.

Having said that, I believe a regular standing kick (or punch) has more power for two reasons. First, if your mechanics are good, your feet are well spaced and anchored to the ground, and your hip is involved in the strike, giving you excellent leverage and power.

Secondly, the most important element of power/energy transmission is speed.
When I am first teaching someone to punch, I ask them who they would rather have run into them on the sidewalk, a 200lb man jogging at 5mph, or a 160 lb man jogging at 7mph. They always say the smaller man. Using the formula for kinetic energy: (mass/2) * Velocity ^2, you can easily calculate that the smaller man is generating more than 50% more energy than the larger man.

Excellent points, and I understand it was the purpose of arguement or making a point but it is silly to standardize the speed at which the two fellers are moving. I can run a heck of a lot faster than a lot of smaller guys (170lbs. to my 240lbs.) I know. I take your point though.

...and posts run together.

Also, unless you are inept in the various technical points of the movement you are using being based on the ground will be far more advantagious to power development (and thus effectiveness) when striking. Can you significantly change (increase or even decrease) the amount of force you are putting into the strike whilst airborne? Certainly not. The force present then is gravity.

...once again, posts run together.

Latest Discussions