Where do/did you train

In what type of setting did/do you train?

• In a commercial school

• In a non-commercial school (YMCA, Recreation Dept, Church, College Club, etc.).

• In both commercial and non-commercial classes.

• In a home, garage, outdoor setting, or backyard.

• In both a home and commercial location.

• In both a home and non-commercial setting.

• Privately in my home or my instructors home.

• In all settings, commercial, non-commercial, homes, garages, outdoors.

• Self taught with the assistance of books and video.

• In the Shaolin Temple.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In both a home, outside and non-commercial setting

I have always trained at home to supplement my training in a school.

Home is great except for the phone and the occasional interruptions
Outside is also a very good place to train except in the winter. However I cannot train any staff or Sword forms outside it draws too much attention from the neighbors.

Non-commercial settings I have trained in were actually quite Spartan but quite nice. Mostly a large room with a nice hard floor, lots of room to do what needed to be done. .

Silly Limey

White Belt
Reaction score
I train Shotokan karate in a somewhat commercial, somewhat non-commercial dojo. We have to pay monthly dues, but the instructors receive none of it and the money only goes to the rental of the building. I also practice at home, if that counts.

Silverwing

White Belt
Reaction score
Partially because Grandmaster Shin started teaching in Seoul Central YMCA it's a tradition among my instructor and his family, who housed Grandmaster Shin when he came to America, to teach in YMCAs. The Ys really appreciate the classes and take good care of us. I went to Master White's school for a gup clinic and just before the clinic the Phillipsburg YMCA actually polished the floor for us. They almost never polish the floor. Mr. White, my instructor, has never had a problem with our YMCA and they allow him to hold three classes a week and use their meeting room if he needs to have a Black Belt meeting.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Commercial School and outside the school with "study group" made up of mixed styles.

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just train where I can when I can. I personally like Iraq the best. Lots of places to train there.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I trained Shaolin Kempo with big schools and Kung Fu I train in a closed door type setting.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have trained at non commercial docos teaching Karate, Ju Jutsu and Kobudo. If fact, commercial MA schools are not that common here in Norway.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started with Fred Villari's Studios. Then went to United Studios. Now, I train in a garage and a basement of a fitness gym (traditional kung fu classes are held there).

fJCtheone

White Belt
Reaction score
I originally started at the school of chinese martial arts in the metro detroit area. Currently living in another state, I practice by myself or with a couple of friends locally. I still try to return several times a year though, to practice with my sifu and get caught up on anything new happening.

Keikai

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
I trained at the same commercial school for 35 years and have only had the one instructor. My own school is done from both my own home dojo and a rented hall.

I generally did work around the dojo or computer work for my sensei so paid for my instruction that way.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Currently, I train at home. But when I was training formally, I trained at both commercial and non-commercial studios. Both indoors and outdoors and in both "accredited" schools and clubs as well.

As someone stated before me, all my training experiences seemed appropriate for the environments in which I trained. None seemed odd to me. However, a bunch of guys whacking each other with shinai in the park, may have seemed odd to the uninitiated.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I started in a commercial Dojo did this for 5 years.
My teacher was a good person, My mom was the only parent around and the Dojo I went to really was kind to her issue. I had to help out with cleaning and what not. But it saved my mom $$$ when I was younger started at 12 years or age. Later I went to a Non- commercial dojo and
Now I train In a self owned Dojo that is growing faster than I think my teacher wants, But he has good help and he covers all classes.
My self I moved my Dojo to my home Changed the basement into a nice looking Dojo. about 5,000.00 to do this. you see nothing of a basement.
and its a back walk out. I also have a large place to hold classes out side
for that other training that i think a commercial dojo lacks.
I think thats what this was about. just had surgery on my should so maybe the meds are makeing me drift.
my 2 cents,
best to yall
steve

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've trained in mainly commercial schools. The school that I run is in a community center.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because of my ever changing LEO schedule I train where/ when I can with any Sifu, Sensei,Sabunim, that will have me...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First place was in a church's basement. This was a really informal class, taught by a friend, though, and nobody was ever graded for rank.

Next place was at the fellowship hall of the local YWCA. My teacher was actually quite good (thanks, Sensei Sherrie!) and the rent was cheap, as were costs of the classes themselves. All I had to do was pay 25 bucks a month for tuition, and a yearly 20 dollar membership to the Y. I guess the only disadvantages were that the fellowship hall area had a dirty floor, and that the last Thursday of each month, the Y management would kick us out, so that the elderly folks could play Bingo. Once in a while, they'd let us use the main gynmasium, though.

When I went to college, we were using the fencing gym for classes. Big, wide, open area, and the semi-padded floor (floor had a bit of give, but still a relatively hard surface) had a good texture. The front of the gym had some polished steel mirrors, and we never had to worry about class schedules interfering with other groups. Dues were 50 bucks / semester, which was a phenomenally cheap price for some truly excellent training.

When I went to graduate school, I signed up with my first commercial, stand-alone school. Prices were much higher, at 50 bucks / month, but after seeing how the classes were conducted, and the quality of instruction, I was quite willing to pay the price.

Ever since then, I've been training at commercial, stand-alone schools. All of them have been well-equipped, and have high quality instruction. Furthermore, they are all places where there was always a very healthy mutual respect between my teachers and me. This combination isn't easy to find, and I'll consider myself fortunate to have found such places.

Two of these three schools had padded mats covering the floor, either the jigsaw types, or rectangular ones that stayed in place.

My current place has jigsaw mats available, but we prefer training on hardwood. I enjoy training on both types of surfaces, so it really makes no difference to me, now that my feet don't get blistered anymore!

Prices for tuition have varied from 55 bucks / month, all the way to 75 bucks / month at the recent schools, but it was certainly worth every penny spent.

Kaizen

White Belt
Reaction score
I train in a dojo for formal instruction.

I lift weights at a commercial gym.

I supplement the above training with heavy bag work,
uchikomi and bodyweight exercises at home.

So far...So good

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My next door neighbor growing up was Master teacher Jon Collins. In 1979-80 Dr. Gyi lived at his house for several months. I began training in 1980 at a summer camp he offered. From that point on, I trained at his house or in the gymnasium at the college where he worked. Fast Forward to 1990. I began training other students for him at the gym and I taught self defense classes for the college - I mention this because I learned much from teaching. Then I branched out to experience other MA's but sought the same situations - I would meet someone with obvious skill and rank and offer to cross train with them, or I would attend a seminar. I picked up a great amount of Jiu Jitsu and TKD that way as well as a few wonderful Seminars from Sifu Innosanto.

EDIT: I also had to train quite extensively outside in natural settings. You wouldn't believe how fast you learn to "adapt" a long staff form with trees all around you! lol :)

Latest Discussions