Where did the "KICK" come from?

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK here is a kenpo trivia question that I would like to know the answer to.

Where did the promotion kick come from?:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You may want to PM an administrator to get them to move this question into the "Kenpo" thread, not Karate. I usually skip right over their threads unless I have loads of spare time .... like never.

Oss,

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't have this any more, one guy went all blue and couldn't breathe one time when he got kicked, and after that Sensei Cawood decide it could turn into a bit of a legal issue if anyone got seriously hurt (the guy was OK).

A hand shake suffices now, which to me is more pleasant anyway. I know that the kick is supposed to symbolise 'giving something' to the student, but I'm sure a belt and certificate surfice!

Ian.

K

kenpofist2

I'm not sure of the origins of the "kick" either other than what I we all know, which is it was a Parker tradition of passing of knowledge from teacher to student.

When I was a underbelt all I got out of it was a sore chest, but now as a teacher it does mean alot more too me.

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Atlanta-Kenpo
OK here is a kenpo trivia question that I would like to know the answer to.

Where did the promotion kick come from?:asian:

Isn't this something you should be asking your instructor?

To fill you in, I've always been taught the kick is the pain you go thru for something wonderful and new as a mother pains as a child is born, and there is sacrifice and pain in all wonderful things you've aquired.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

T

tonbo

Hasn't it always been there? You know, like one of those, "I had it done to me, so I'm doing it to you" sort of things? :)

I have always seen it as a traditional thing, and it was always just accepted at our school. Eventually, though, it just went away. I still see the uppercuts come out after class sometimes, but I rarely see a kick anymore.

I got one for a couple of belts (brown and higher), and, sick as it may seem, I actually *miss* getting that kind of "love tap". It always made getting the new rank seem....I dunno.....more real. Kinda like how they stick the jump wings right on your chest when you earn 'em (called "blood badges"..hehe). You feel the pain, you get the memory.

Then again, your mileage may vary.

Peace--

K

kenpofist2

This weekend I tested out a student, and I had all the noteable seniors in Kenpo from the Tulsa area present. At the end we all gave him our "passing of knowledge", in which I saw a back fist and a ridgehand to the chest of my student. I've seen it done several ways but the intention is always the same.
This student had never seen it before but had a great feeling of brotherhood when it was over. Everyone understood what it represented and had a great time.

Just some personal experiences since were talking about the "Kick".:asian:

H

headkick

You've shown you can dish it out, now you show you can take it...

Chuck Sullivan's web site has an article, I think, on "The Kick". Also a picture of SGM giving the kick. Notice the foot alignment...

I was so "up" after getting the kick from my instuctor on my First Black test, I forgot to ask for Mr. Sepulveda to kick me also. Strange breed when you regret not getting kicked by someone...

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regarding the question of "where the kick (promotion ceremony) came from." I know what it means from my instructors, Mr. Parker, and what I share with my students ... but I plead ignorance (a common plea for me) when it comes to it's origin. I know there are always "Rights of passage" whether you are a Shaolin monk and into branding, or whether a Marine and getting "pinned".

This right of passage is a big one for my students and myself. It is integral to the promotion ceremony and symbolic in nature ... as my feet leave the ground and I am caught. Where did this specific one come from, and when did Mr. Parker make it part of his promotions?

ANYBODY?

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by headkick

I was so "up" after getting the kick from my instuctor on my First Black test, I forgot to ask for Mr. Sepulveda to kick me also. Strange breed when you regret not getting kicked by someone...

Funny how that is. Also how strange we are for "beating" on each other and liking it! :D

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor broke from EPAK/Tracy in the mid-60's. Instead of a kick, we would go out for a beer...funny how traditions get started.

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
My instructor broke from EPAK/Tracy in the mid-60's. Instead of a kick, we would go out for a beer...funny how traditions get started.

I really like that idea! :D :cool:

OP
A

Atlanta-Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have searched a bit for this answer but I (just like most everyone else) have not been able to find the ORIGINS of the kick. Mr Wedlake will be up next weekend for a seminar and I plan on asking him then. If I find the answer i will post it for all to see.

So, to make myself clear for those of you who misunderstood my question. I am searching for the origin of the promotion kick not the ceremony of why.:asian:

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Atlanta-Kenpo
I have searched a bit for this answer but I (just like most everyone else) have not been able to find the ORIGINS of the kick. Mr Wedlake will be up next weekend for a seminar and I plan on asking him then. If I find the answer i will post it for all to see.

So, to make myself clear for those of you who misunderstood my question. I am searching for the origin of the promotion kick not the ceremony of why.:asian:

I'm sure it's got some beginnings from the military, if not all of it. When we put on new stripes it was customary to TACK them on. I would walk around for weeks with sore arms from people TACKING on the new rank.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
We "tack" them. THere not called blood wings for nothing...:D

Then we go to "Wet" them down at the local NCO Club:drinkbeer :barf: :drink2tha

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by kenpo3631
We "tack" them. THere not called blood wings for nothing...:D

Then we go to "Wet" them down at the local NCO Club:drinkbeer :barf: :drink2tha

We WET them down on their last day of work, before they Outprocessed LOL. Don't know exactly where that tradition came from but I can still remember when one of the big wigs would come in from his last flight they would have fire trucks to do the job, aircraft and all. We never did the BLOOD WINGS thing that I know of.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Latest Discussions