MartialTalk Meetup - Date determined (April 27-28)

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@hoshin1600 I spoke with two friend of mine who are college D1 fencing coaches, so I feel pretty confident they'd know the minute details for fencing.

The first told me that moving your lead foot inward isn't something they recommend, but also not something that particularly interferes with fencing ability. And for people who have a range of motion where they can't straighten fully (or it leaves them uncomfortable/distracted), they recommend turning their foot inwards slightly since that's more natural.

The second told me that from a theory perspective, if you're game is built around counter-attacking, it could help you push back quicker. Even in that though, he'd recommend against it, since you'd have to straighten out again for your lunge.

So pretty much if you've got a game built around counter attacking, you might develop that habit, but it's probably a bad habit. That is what I built my game around, so it makes sense (with counterattacking and a focus on kali recently) that I did that unconsciously. BUt it's not a regular thing for fencers.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How large was the training area for this meet up?
It's a repurposed warehouse with 2 jiujitsu mat areas, 2 MMA cages, a boxing ring, a line of heavy bags, and a free weight area. I don't have any pictures that show the whole space, but here are 3 photos from different angles that show about 80% of the space between them.
4SMuayThai.jpg
4SMuayThai2.jpg
BJJclassphotowAbdi.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Picture's don't do it justice. It feels larger than what the pictures show.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
@hoshin1600 I spoke with two friend of mine who are college D1 fencing coaches, so I feel pretty confident they'd know the minute details for fencing.

The first told me that moving your lead foot inward isn't something they recommend, but also not something that particularly interferes with fencing ability. And for people who have a range of motion where they can't straighten fully (or it leaves them uncomfortable/distracted), they recommend turning their foot inwards slightly since that's more natural.

The second told me that from a theory perspective, if you're game is built around counter-attacking, it could help you push back quicker. Even in that though, he'd recommend against it, since you'd have to straighten out again for your lunge.

So pretty much if you've got a game built around counter attacking, you might develop that habit, but it's probably a bad habit. That is what I built my game around, so it makes sense (with counterattacking and a focus on kali recently) that I did that unconsciously. BUt it's not a regular thing for fencers.
Thanks for investigating this. Good information.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is what I built my game around, so it makes sense (with counterattacking and a focus on kali recently) that I did that unconsciously. BUt it's not a regular thing for fencers.
I'll have to take a look at my videos to see if my footwork changes in a similar manner with the foot being slightly turned in vs straight. The one thing I did have a hard time with Kali was not hitting Tony's hand with the stick. I wondered if that is because of how how I roll my back fist to target the guard in Jow Ga

Isn't there a saying about the stick or sword being an extension of the arm? Something that they don't see it as two different thing? Swinging the sticks to hit the stick felt like I was swinging for empty space.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a repurposed warehouse with 2 jiujitsu mat areas, 2 MMA cages, a boxing ring, a line of heavy bags, and a free weight area. I don't have any pictures that show the whole space, but here are 3 photos from different angles that show about 80% of the space between them.
View attachment 31023View attachment 31024View attachment 31025
It's bigger than those photos look. It's a really nice space. You have to watch out for the tall bloke, though. He's kinda sketchy.

I still need to make it back up there sometime.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's bigger than those photos look. It's a really nice space. You have to watch out for the tall bloke, though. He's kinda sketchy.

I still need to make it back up there sometime.
Made me realize that I need a bigger space.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A size that is based on the max students you think you'll train on the regular.
If you need a larger space then it will be more affordable to rent space or network with an existing gym or school.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need a larger space then it will be more affordable to rent space or network with an existing gym or school.
My current space is fine for my school’s current needs. If a meet up happens here and the number of attendees is large enough, I will look into renting a space.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My current space is fine for my school’s current needs. If a meet up happens here and the number of attendees is large enough, I will look into renting a space.
If you have space for your normal students, you should be fine. There were 5 people at this one, I think max realistically that would show up would be 10 people.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have space for your normal students, you should be fine. There were 5 people at this one, I think max realistically that would show up would be 10 people.
I hold several small classes spaced out by time throughout the week, with my largest classes in the mid afternoon. For five adults, I would rent space to ensure that everyone has enough room for their particular art.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About what size would you estimate?
That would depend upon the number of attendees. I've been to seminars with 10-15 people in relatively small spaces. It just changes the dynamics (how many can spar, the kind of sparring you can do, etc.). More important would be having the right equipment for what's being done.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would depend upon the number of attendees. I've been to seminars with 10-15 people in relatively small spaces. It just changes the dynamics (how many can spar, the kind of sparring you can do, etc.). More important would be having the right equipment for what's being done.
I have mats and various pads for sparring. Limited weapons, but plenty of outdoor space for practice.

Latest Discussions