Peak Performance

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to find out what you all thought of "flow" or a "peak performance." While getting my degree in exercise science we discussed this, hopefully I can succently explain it. It is the concept of being "in the zone" performing the best you have, in a way that almost seems to trancend the physical. A lot of athletes describe it as feeling as if they are only watching themselves do the action. It is like when everything comes together perfectly and just "clicks." A feeling of euphira even while your body is working hard. (Feel free to add to this definition if you can, it is a hard concept to explain in words).
I can honestly say that during my recent belt test I truely experienced this. I felt enjoyment the entire test, I felt that I could continue indefinetly. As I performed it seemed almost slow motion, the worry of messing up or losing control of my body never entered my head (that is often my fear while doing my bo staff form, which usually LEADS to the bo slipping from my fingers). But not this time. The concept of not being able to do something never entered by head (which is good since I was told to do some breaks that I had never attempted before!) It was truly a peak performance. I have experienced it before, but never like this. A fe times when competing in forms divisions in big tournaments I would remember beginning the form and then ending the form and nothing in between. But never before had I felt I was in this state for hours at a time. I knew I should have been exhausted and yet I wasn't. I really ENJOYED the test. I felt I could go on forever, and everything was happening exactly the way I had visulized it for so long (the visulazation itself I am sure helped achieve the peak performance).
I am not typing this to say "yay me" but rather I am wondering if anyone else has any similar stories to share. The feeling was like none other. I hope I can capture it again, however I wonder if one can only be in that state when it really is a "big" event that you have been psyching yourself up for. What do y'all think?

(If mods want to move this that is great, I just tend to think of the TKD section as my "home" so I thought I would start it here).

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not typing this to say "yay me" but rather I am wondering if anyone else has any similar stories to share. The feeling was like none other. I hope I can capture it again, however I wonder if one can only be in that state when it really is a "big" event that you have been psyching yourself up for. What do y'all think?

I've been lucky enough to have this feeling a few times back in my skiing days. We used to try to teach our students to respond without thought, but simply to flow, as in a difficult mogul field—you don't have time to think, if you take that time you're dead—you just have flow around and through the bumps like water. And every so often, it would happen to me on a steep, weirdly-sloping bump run—I could do no wrong. It was easy, even inevitable.

I could never figure out why I could be in that state of grace on one run, and then for the next two months never experience it again. It's like an unexpected, unsought gift that finds you—you can't go looking for it, at least not successfully....

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, programming. Getting caught up in an interesting problem and losing an entire day. ;)

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wonder how much of that feeling is due to the release of beta endorphins.

Latest Discussions