When the kata is applied to self defense

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People always said that there are Taiji masters live in the mountain who can kick Mike Tyson's butt. I don't believe that kind of statement. If you declare something, you will need to prove it.

I have not met a single Taiji person (without cross training) who can fight. Video is the best way to prove something.

sorry I don't agree that fighting proves anything more than that person can fight ...ok some want to prove they can others don't doesn't mean they can't and video jeez why is everyone so hung up on video. Personally when I got into any fights or scraps of nasty situation the last thing I thought was stop hold it time out dont have a vid camera on me ........sorry had more pressing things on my mind

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
why is everyone so hung up on video.
If you (general YOU) said that you have punching power, you can just punch on your heavy bag 20 times. Record it on your cell phone. Put up you clip. Everybody will agree that you have punching power. Video is an excellent way to record the fact.

Through video, I can see my long fist young brothers still spend so much time in form training. Should I keep my mouth shut without offend my long fist teacher, or should I speak out that too much form training is wrong, wrong, and still wrong.

Last edited:

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you (general YOU) said that you have punching power, you can just punch on your heavy bag 20 times. Record it on your cell phone. Put up you clip. Everybody will agree that you have punching power. Video is an excellent way to record the fact.

ok fair point but not everyone wants to make or be in vids ...I'm not disagreeing you have a valid argument ..just as I said not everyone wants to be on you tube

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the majority of martial artists were taking up martial arts for "fun and exercise", why do they believe that their art of choice would be effective against a boxer or a wrestler, and why does so much TMA training revolve around beating those types of fighters?
You are confusing the validity of a system with the ability of the practitioner.

As for TMA specifically revolving their training around beating boxers or wrestling, I don't know anyone who does TMA that does that. So I'm not sure who you hang around with that would make you think that is Majority of the focus in TMA. Do you even do TMA? If so what that the focus of the training in your school?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
not everyone wants to be on you tube
What do you think the reason behind it? I have recorded over 500 personal video clips on my computer. For any MA discussion, I can always find some clips to add into that discussion.

If you (general YOU) don't record what you can do today, you may not be able to do it when you get old. One day when you die, you will leave no trace on this world.

The following clip shows that I could do the Bruce Lee famous 3 kicks combo. :) If I said that I can, nobody will believe me. If I put my clip up, I have just proved what I have said.

Last edited:

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you think the reason behind it? I have recorded over 500 personal video clips on my computer. For any MA discussion, I can always find some clips to add into that discussion.

If you (general YOU) don't record what you can do today, you may not be able to do it when you get old. One day when you die, you will leave no trace on this world.

i dunno just some like to remain private some may not know how to or just plain do't want to

I am not important enough to wish to leave any public memories really ..I'm sure there are plenty pics around but to me memories aren't on film or in pics they are within a person and that to me is how you remember but that just my way

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
video jeez why is everyone so hung up on video.
For me video is a learning tool. It helps me to get better at what I do and it helps me to teach or show other people what is possible. People would have doubt about half the stuff I say I could do if it wasn't for video. Video makes provides insight that not only helps me but others even if they are from a different system.

I'm still trying to find my VHS tapes of me in my early 20's using karate techniques in sparring. Much of the debate about Martial Arts would be void had the video camera been around in abundance during the height of martial arts fighting. So many misconceptions and assumptions can be straighten out with a simple video. I used to put videos on youtube simply because it was free and made it easy to share with people in this group.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The following clip shows that I could do the Bruce Lee famous 3 kicks combo. :) If I said that I can, nobody will believe me. If I put my clip up, I have just proved what I have said.

That's really you in the video? nice. I wish I had started recording sooner than I did.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's really you in the video? nice. I wish I had started recording sooner than I did.
That was me. :) Back then (when Bruce Lee was still alive) if you can't do high kick, you won't be able to get any students.

Today everything is ground game. Back then everything was high kick.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not important enough to wish to leave any public memories really
Everyone matters. It may not seem important to you but it could be very important to someone else. Don't sell yourself short. Not everyone has the same life experiences.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me video is a learning tool. It helps me to get better at what I do and it helps me to teach or show other people what is possible. People would have doubt about half the stuff I say I could do if it wasn't for video. Video makes provides insight that not only helps me but others even if they are from a different system.

I'm still trying to find my VHS tapes of me in my early 20's using karate techniques in sparring. Much of the debate about Martial Arts would be void had the video camera been around in abundance during the height of martial arts fighting. So many misconceptions and assumptions can be straighten out with a simple video. I used to put videos on youtube simply because it was free and made it easy to share with people in this group.

I didn't say vids were bad as you say properly used and if the viewer actually understands then yeah they are good I can watch vids of my art and do get why a person is doing what there doing and why ... but to say vids prove or disprove or lack of vids do that same is an assumption I am not willing to agree to

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyone matters. It may not seem important to you but it could be very important to someone else. Don't sell yourself short. Not everyone has the same life experiences.

I'm not lol just I remember in my own way that all no more no less

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was me. :) Back then (when Bruce Lee was still alive) if you can't do high kick, you won't be able to get any students.

Today everything is ground game. Back then everything was high kick.

Ha. that leg sweep. You could have just posted that one and I would have thought " that looks like something you would do." lol.
Thanks for sharing

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whose opinion is that on the Gracies ? and why yet again bring them into it they are a respected family and deserve to be given tat respect and not given your treatment

Mine. Again, based on evidence. The Gracies have been beaten many times. While the name still carries weight and respect, it is mostly because they started the whole thing. Of course Rickson is a national treasure, but that's another matter entirely.

Secondly where did I say any TMA standards have dropped ? again that seems to be your sole opinion

You said that the "masters are into their old age" implying that all the greats of TMA are senior citizens. So the question then becomes, where are the NEW masters?

again what do you know that means you say Seagal didn't teach him that do you have a hotline somewhere

I know that a fat, out of shape actor who does Aikido didn't teach a world champion UFC fighter how to do a front kick.

What ranks do you hold that gives you the right to be the expert and be careful what you pick to say as well jsut be careful as to date you haven't shown that you really understand things at all so pray do tell what ranks do you hold

Where did I say I was an expert? I'm merely discussing what I'm observing and asking some questions.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine. Again, based on evidence. The Gracies have been beaten many times. While the name still carries weight and respect, it is mostly because they started the whole thing. Of course Rickson is a national treasure, but that's another matter entirely.

Yes your opinion so that is all your opinion

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are confusing the validity of a system with the ability of the practitioner.

A martial art is only as good as the people who practice it.

As for TMA specifically revolving their training around beating boxers or wrestling, I don't know anyone who does TMA that does that. So I'm not sure who you hang around with that would make you think that is Majority of the focus in TMA. Do you even do TMA? If so what that the focus of the training in your school?

Didn't you make a big stink about how you could stop a double leg takedown?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You said that the "masters are into their old age" implying that all the greats of TMA are senior citizens. So the question then becomes, where are the NEW masters?

You asked why the Tai chi "masters are not going round kicking butt ....from there you managed to get that TMA standards are dropping and now your saying cause they are in old age where are the new masters ....they are still studying but I would thought that would have been kinda obvious

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that a fat, out of shape actor who does Aikido didn't teach a world champion UFC fighter how to do a front kick.

So in other words yet again your opinion

An I would refrain from giving and name calling no matter your opinion as that is not respectful ...yes he is outta shape now but he was at one point the real deal in his Art but hey you mighta missed that

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a 5 yr olds point.

Are you seriously saying that you critically assessed that statement in the context of the discussion and found no fault with it?

Sure, even a 5 year old can see there ain't nobody winning fights with tai chi. The relevant question is why is that?

Latest Discussions