When the kata is applied to self defense

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't pull another in and try and get them to defend you

Bashing arts ok no you haven't at all apart from saying that TMA (and again gonna s you to define that and your interpretation of that phrase or title) is just practiced for fun ...how the heck do you know ???

Again that wasn't me;

Yes and they will even tell you themselves. Ask any martial artist why they train martial arts and you'll discover that very few will respond "to learn how to fight." most people say for fun and exercise.

Karate you said there were no grappling in said or alluded to that (your Karate teacher said only dogs fight in the dirt or something like that) well umm define grappling again as umm I don't think your grasping again and ummm do you know all the Karate styles?

I didn't say there wasn't any grappling in Karate, I said it wasn't as extensive as Bjj or Judo.

Koryu you said after the rise of Judo it disappeared and even posted a pic of the Kodakan and said look here that proves it and that there are more JJ schools outside Japan than inside ummm doh the rest of the world is kinda bigger so that does not really take much thought and really well ...nope not gonna say it

I didn't say they disappeared, I said that they largely died out, and they're exceedingly rare in Japan.

Hope that helps.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In that video they're all training the exact same thing. Are you really going to argue that no one on that training floor was there to learn how to fight? Are you also going to argue that those techniques they were learning would be useful for that goal (fighting)?

As for the boxer reference, I'm simply saying that based on skills attained at the 2 week point, the boxer would have no problem clocking those people in the face over and over again. Expand that boxer's experience to a year, and it wouldn't even be a contest. I'd even put sifu on the chopping block.

Think crossfit.

Being good at crossfit will help a fighter. Doing whatever that crossfit self defence thing is. Won't.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you think your MA style works, go into the ring, or step on the mat, and prove it.

I kinda do, two or three times a month.

About 75% of the time I'm putting 'my' tkd against kick boxers.

I'd happily go to work with any other art too, if I could find anyone...

Oh, and just for fun - I use quite a few 'moves' that I practice in patterns.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't say there wasn't any grappling in Karate, I said it wasn't as extensive as Bjj or Judo.

ya kinda did and no bjj and judo aren't the same as they are grappling arts so lol you want a gold star for that ?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ummm most masters are well into their later years and are very unlikely to be going wrong looking for fights and that is just the starting point on that ... I will say this again just because you personally do not think something is right and you cannot find the all important vids then it has to be your thoughts are correct and that is just not right at all it your own opinion and if you can't see things then it does not mean in any way they are not there

We don't make a judgement based on evidence that isn't there.

You probably don't have a supply of fairy repellant. Even though there isn't evidence fairies don't exist.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't say they disappeared, I said that they largely died out, and they're exceedingly rare in Japan.

You ever been in japan or is this another of your opinions based on your own opinion ?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You ever been in japan or is this another of your opinions based on your own opinion ?

Twice.

However to be honest, I was there for the girls and the night life, not spend my time looking for Jujutsu schools.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let's compare the following 2 teaching methods.

1. You learn a MA form. You then learn how to use the material out of that form.
2. You learn 10 different partner drills. You then link those 10 moves into a sequence to help you to remember.

Which method is better?

IMO, 2 > 1. It's a such simple logic. I just don't understand why anybody may prefer method 1 over method 2.

For example, If I have learned 15 different ways to set up a single leg, and 10 different ways to finish with it. I can link all these information together as a "single leg form". Whether you like to use depth first, or breadth first approach will be up to you.

Last edited:

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I kinda do, two or three times a month.

About 75% of the time I'm putting 'my' tkd against kick boxers.

I'd happily go to work with any other art too, if I could find anyone...

Oh, and just for fun - I use quite a few 'moves' that I practice in patterns.

Bro please don't mention the Kata form or pattern words or the majority of the bandwidth will get used up trying to once again explain what they are what the term actually means in context, why they are used etc etc etc etc .......please lol please lol

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Twice.

However to be honest, I was there for the girls and the night life, not spend my time looking for Jujutsu schools.

You went to Japan looking for girls ....yeah there ain't many dojos in that district that for sure

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bro please don't mention the Kata form or pattern words or the majority of the bandwidth will get used up trying to once again explain what they are what the term actually means in context, why they are used etc etc etc etc .......please lol please lol

Gotta keep it going ;)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Twice.

However you may well have met or seen some of the gentlemen who love tattoo's there ... if you go back a tip don't upset them I would suggest you don't tell any of them that umm well what you have here ...ya might regret that

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's compare the following 2 teaching methods.

1. You learn a MA form. You then learn how to use the material out of that form.
2. You learn 10 different partner drills. You then link those 10 moves into a sequence to help you to remember.

Which method is better?

IMO, 2 > 1. It's a such simple logic. I just don't understand why anybody may prefer method 1 over method 2.

I view them as more or less equal.

But it depends on the student and how they interpret what they're doing.

I can take apart a pattern and look at each move/transition/series and see how to apply it in a few ways (which may or may not agree with the book description).

I can also use partner drills to 'create' a pattern and reassess what it contains.

I can see how a lot of people can't do that though - they'll be given the book spiel and wonder why it doesn't function...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So in other words yet again your opinion

An I would refrain from giving and name calling no matter your opinion as that is not respectful ...yes he is outta shape now but he was at one point the real deal in his Art but hey you mighta missed that
Guys, can we stop calling any old thing an opinion? It’s killing me a little every time. Facts are things that are objective. Opinions are things that are subjective. Assertions are unsubstantiated statements that may or may not be fact. But even if untrue, they aren’t opinions. Get it together, people.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can take apart a pattern and look at each move/transition/series and see how to apply it in a few ways (which may or may not agree with the book description).

A for instance...

The first pattern we learn starts with a 90° turn into a low block, step into a punch, 180 to another low block.

How about the block 'chamber' being the block, the 'block' being a hammer fist to the opponents knee, the punch being a grab and the 180 to low block being a throw?

Won't find that in the book, but it'd work as a partner drill and (circumstances permitting the sequence) work 'fo realz' too.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
However you may well have met or seen some of the gentlemen who love tattoo's there ... if you go back a tip don't upset them I would suggest you don't tell any of them that umm well what you have here ...ya might regret that

now did you spot the mistake about the dojo's or is that gonna fly past aswell

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Assertions are unsubstantiated statements that may or may not be fact. But even if untrue, they aren’t opinions.

My dictionary says that an assertion is "a confident and forceful statement of a fact, belief or opinion'...

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Guys, can we stop calling any old thing an opinion? It’s killing me a little every time. Facts are things that are objective. Opinions are things that are subjective. Assertions are unsubstantiated statements that may or may not be fact. But even if untrue, they aren’t opinions. Get it together, people.

Hey Horatio you be wanting Shakespeare again instead lol....your to high brow in that post but one good thing if ya on the train ya must have ya glasses on lol ....no spelling mistakes lol

Latest Discussions