When teaching someone how long should a MA class last ?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
ST-Tell your instructor what you want.

I don't charge near that, but even if I did, I still have other things that take up my time. Something to think about, how much do you think you can absorb in a 3 hour period? And what is keeping you from working out on your own? I require my students to put in another 6-8 hours per week on their own or in a small group.

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is nothing keeping me from training on my own, I do it quite often. Unfortunately, all I can really do on my own is working out, ukemi and zanshin, I want to actually practice some of my techniques and drills, which is really hard to do. Most of the other people in my dojo live out of town and aren't big on training outside of class.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i teach these kids for free , when i work out i do around 2 hour sessions 2 or 3 time a week ' it strecthes out long with these kids sometimes bcause there in there begining stages but i know once they start advancing its gonna run more smooth :BSmeter:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
1.5 to 2 hours is ideal imo.
With ninpo, 2 hours just fly by.

But our class starts at 20:30 already, so 2 hours already runs to 22:30, which is getting very late for some folks already. Especially high school students or people who have to get up very early.

EDIT: of course there is nothing stopping people from rehearsing out of class. I try to practise my kihon 2 times per week outside of class, and I stretch daily to regain leg flexibility, and I try to improve kicking technique.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And I am sure if you wanted to pay some extra $$$ your instructor would love to train you.

Please understand, most instructors would love to be able to spend more time training students, but most of us have other responsibilities(jobs, family, etc.).

+1 I would love to teach more, but , like you said other things.....

Well given that I'm already paying 110 a month, plus a yearly due of 60 dollars, and 45 dollars for every ranking, I think I deserve more time in the dojo than I get.
And no, my instructor doesn't have another job, he gets enough income from teaching and running the church.
That's pretty expensive. I suppose your teacher has a lot of overhead to charge those fees, thats why we had to close our school.
I very lucky right now to have no overhead (My parish priest lets me use the meeting room to teach 2x/wk and I give all proceeds to the Church, I'm just so happy to be teaching again and I'm blessed that Father is so generous)

When I first started training my wife and I went 5-6 days/wk for 4 hrs/nite for pretty close to 6 years.....then again we were 18 and had no responsibilities. At that time there were many higher ranks training and we learned an awful lot.

My classes are now 1.5-2hrs long and that seems to work for my students......and me....... after all I'm not as young as I used to be. LOL

Michael

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's pretty expensive. I suppose your teacher has a lot of overhead to charge those fees, thats why we had to close our school.
I very lucky right now to have no overhead (My parish priest lets me use the meeting room to teach 2x/wk and I give all proceeds to the Church, I'm just so happy to be teaching again and I'm blessed that Father is so generous)

Off the topic here but are you Catholic? It sounds like you are. I'm Catholic. I was just curious. Thats good that you give the money back to the church.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When teaching someone how long should a MA class last ?
A few things to take into consideration are:
How often dose the person get to train with that instructor
How long is the persons attention span
How long is their retention of training
What physical shape are they in
What is the goal of the training session
Are they the only one training in the session
What level of training do they already have
What time will MOM, or the wife or the boyfriend/girlfriend have dinner ready

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1 hour for class, and then give yourself 15-20 minutes to warm up. All in all 1.5 hours is appropriate. The rest of your training takes place outside the school.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Off the topic here but are you Catholic? It sounds like you are. I'm Catholic. I was just curious. Thats good that you give the money back to the church.

Yes I am. It's the least I could do since he doesn't charge me rent for the space. He is a very good priest and has helped me and my family through some very difficult times both spiritually and non-spiritually in nature. Thanks for asking.

Michael

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmm I would say anywhere between 80-90 Minutes. After that I would allow for free Mat time. My Jiu Jitsu class is that long and I think its perfect. Allows us to focus on a couple of techniques without overbearing ourselves. The extra mat time also allows for extra practice time 2!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a student, my Aikido class is 2 hours duration. That is probably enough although I would love to keep training as the time passes so quickly.
The Karate class I teach goes for 3 hours. The first 2 hours consist of warm up, basics and the syllabus requirements for the lower ranked students, the final hour is to enable the higher ranked students to learn and practise more advanced techniques. The time just seems to fly. (Juniors train 1 hour.)

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm I would say anywhere between 80-90 Minutes. After that I would allow for free Mat time. My Jiu Jitsu class is that long and I think its perfect. Allows us to focus on a couple of techniques without overbearing ourselves. The extra mat time also allows for extra practice time 2!

Something over an hour is ideal for me, allowing for warm-up and cool-down. I think the rest is driven by the ability of students to attend and how much access the instructor has to the space.

I visited a HKD school in Toronto where the owner pretty much opens up his doors and students come in an out throughout the evening. Some people train for an hour; some for three. Interesting model. I'm used to training in a community centre -- years and years squeezing my teaching and training in between other classes.

Latest Discussions