When teaching someone how long should a MA class last ?

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i never look at the clock but before you know 2 to 3 hours have gone by.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
5. 5 is the correct number. if you are unable to teach for 5 hours, do 55 minutes. or another number somehow related to 5.

jf

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
5. 5 is the correct number. if you are unable to teach for 5 hours, do 55 minutes. or another number somehow related to 5.

jf

I'm going to have to disagree here. Everyone knows that 3 is a sacred number, so anything in the multiple of 3 is fine...3 minutes, 3 hours...33 minutes, 6 hours...3 days...

Although, I do think it is possile to combine the numbers 3 and 5, do create the ultimate training number...

Threeve

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd say that an hour and a half is minimum, and our kendo classes run for roughly two hours. Given that for kendo you have the additional time of putting on and taking off hogu, two hours is barely enough time. Our warmups are pretty strong too.

Daniel

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on how you're training. Give me an hour, warm ups with drills to build toward the exercise... and it's a productive hour. 5 minutes can be world-changing with the right teacher at the right time.

For a regular class, a loose 2 hours seems to work pretty well in my experience. Much longer and you run into practical issues as well as focus problems. Much shorter, and I just find that by the time students are ready to learn something new -- class is over.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it's good to train for 50 minute intervals with ten minute rests in between.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, if it's kenpo the magic number is 45.

j/k, I really prefer 2 or 3 hours.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
All day! Back in my teens I would go tot he dojo at 9 in the morning and take every other class (classes were an hour then) so it was an hour in and an hour out and during that time we (my master's sons and the other motivated students) would stretch, lift and sometimes go get something to eat and be back at int again.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As long as it takes to get a good physical work out in, teach the concept in mind & have it understood & worked to the point of people not forgetting it the next day...

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most schools I know of have classes of one hour in length. I find this to be too short unless I am staying for multiple classes. Fortunately, my instructors' school has three classes a night so when I go I do 3 hours of training. They used to have only two classes a night (a beginner and an advanced class), each for 90 minutes which I preferred but now they do beginner, intermediate and avanced classes but only have their facility for the same amount of time.

Personally, when I was teaching my classes were two hours in length. This gave me ample time to do a good warm up, cover several areas of training or do a more indepth treatment of one or two areas, and have a good warm down/stretching period at the end.

Pax,

Chris

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The class should go on only as long as it takes. When that point has passed, it should end.

Aniela13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My Kenpo classes were always an hour in length; my Cha San Ryu classes are 45 minutes. We do ~20-25 minutes of warmup/workout, then split up and learn curriculum for the remainder. I would absolutely love it if class were longer, but this is what I have to work with...so I go to five classes every week ;) For whatever it's worth, at my Kenpo school we usually worked on curriculum for more than half of the class, but at my current dojo I've been able to learn much more every night for some reason.

In my opinion, longer classes would be better...but shorter classes can be used to your advantage as well.

~Ani

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree here. Everyone knows that 3 is a sacred number, so anything in the multiple of 3 is fine...3 minutes, 3 hours...33 minutes, 6 hours...3 days...

Although, I do think it is possile to combine the numbers 3 and 5, do create the ultimate training number...

Threeve

threeve is okay, but the true name of the superultimatesacred number is Fiee. besides, three is only sacred because it's two removed from 5. multiples of 5 are also auspicious.

jf

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you ask me, I think training should take two to three hours. When I started training, our Wednesday class ran at around an hour and a half to two hours, and that was decent, but I was never ecstatic about it. Now, however, class just seems to be getting shorter and shorter.

Personally I would LOVE to spend three hours doing nothing but training, running on nothing but maybe three ten minute breaks. It would be a great way to improve and perfect my technique.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Once per quarter we will do 6-8 hours per day on Saturday and Sunday. But it's not constant training, breaks and free time included in there, so it's really like doing 3,4,5 classes of up to 2 hours each, each day. If we did that every week it ouwl dbe too much but spread out every 12 weeks it is good.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you ask me, I think training should take two to three hours.

Personally I would LOVE to spend three hours doing nothing but training, running on nothing but maybe three ten minute breaks. It would be a great way to improve and perfect my technique.

And I am sure if you wanted to pay some extra $$$ your instructor would love to train you.

Please understand, most instructors would love to be able to spend more time training students, but most of us have other responsibilities(jobs, family, etc.).

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
5. 5 is the correct number. if you are unable to teach for 5 hours, do 55 minutes. or another number somehow related to 5. jf

Although, I do think it is possile to combine the numbers 3 and 5, do create the ultimate training number...Threeve

What kind of answers are these???? :(

A class should last as long as it takes to warm up, go over basics, review a little bit of previous material and learn a few new techniques. This should take about an hour and a half. So my answer would be 1 1/2 hours. You have to rememebr your studebnts are going to have other things to do so making a 3 hour class is not going to be very favorable for a lot of martial art students. Your students will have a hecktic schedule. Your going to have students that are in school (high school, college, etc...), students that work, etc..... Keeping your m.a. class to an hour and a half is descent IMO.

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
And I am sure if you wanted to pay some extra $$$ your instructor would love to train you.

Please understand, most instructors would love to be able to spend more time training students, but most of us have other responsibilities(jobs, family, etc.).

Well given that I'm already paying 110 a month, plus a yearly due of 60 dollars, and 45 dollars for every ranking, I think I deserve more time in the dojo than I get.

And no, my instructor doesn't have another job, he gets enough income from teaching and running the church.

Latest Discussions