When do the frauds come out?

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Man, that site is scarry. I did a few years in the army but when people ask...i did a few years in the army.

Anyhoo...It would seem that there is a lot of fraud in the martial arts due to parranoia. Everyone is worried they could get attacked and that makes for an easy target to those who believe P.T. Barnum. I know alot of people think that martial arts should be strictly regulated because of this but who would come to the front to judge what is valid and what is not? Not to mention how such regulation would stiffle some of the creativity that lead to such things as JKD and Mixed Martial Arts as well as full contact scrabble! :idunno: NOt to mention the fact that when government gets into anything there will be lines and fees. Could you imagine going to a place that instead of the DMV you would have to go to the DMA? "Now serving number 5...3...3....at window number 6"

The net is probably the best defense we have against overwhelming frauds. IF people just use their heads and hit such fine establishments as MARTIAL TALK! then they should be ok. Better business beureau is always good against the bigger chain places.

Regards,
Walt

P.S. Mr. Roley, I frequently read some of your posts on other sites and how you deal with frauds. Thanks for at least doing your part so the rest of us can train safely without fear of being taken advantage of. Good stuff...

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. These people definately have self-esteem issues. What is sad is that they are in fact doing harm to others. By instilling false confidence and committing fraud.

It is this very reason that I support legislation for the licensing of all martial arts schools/organizations by state and/or the federal government. The general public does not know enough about how to "shop" martial arts schools. I feel all schools/organizations should have to display their credentials and that the government should have a board of certified professionals to validate all martial art schools and what they teach.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kroh said:
P.S. Mr. Roley, I frequently read some of your posts on other sites and how you deal with frauds. Thanks for at least doing your part so the rest of us can train safely without fear of being taken advantage of. Good stuff...

Personally, I think it is sad that I have to take so much time to counter the many claims of frauds on the internet. I would love to be reading things fo value and helping out in any way I can. But frauds tend to do things for attention and if you try to ignore them, they take over the forum.

I just turned down a chance to make some money today as a fact checker for an article on ninjutsu. The entire article was flawed. The author was obviously trying his best, but had no real background in the matter. One of the sources he seems to have used the most was a PDF file from Ashida Kim!

I would love to talk about and even debate things with other people to further our understanding. But since the frauds are so intent on putting out stuff that will gain them attention, the entire knowledge base is flawed and we spend more time dealing with the myths spread by these bozos than in dealing with gaining a deeper understanding of what we do.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Personally, I think it is sad that I have to take so much time to counter the many claims of frauds on the internet. I would love to be reading things fo value and helping out in any way I can. But frauds tend to do things for attention and if you try to ignore them, they take over the forum.

I just turned down a chance to make some money today as a fact checker for an article on ninjutsu. The entire article was flawed. The author was obviously trying his best, but had no real background in the matter. One of the sources he seems to have used the most was a PDF file from Ashida Kim!

I would love to talk about and even debate things with other people to further our understanding. But since the frauds are so intent on putting out stuff that will gain them attention, the entire knowledge base is flawed and we spend more time dealing with the myths spread by these bozos than in dealing with gaining a deeper understanding of what we do.

Yes, and ultimately I think it takes more effort to maintain one's self as a fraud than it does to seek and achieve legitimate training and qualifications.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:

Yes they do try to take over a forum and spin things to have those either calling them out or the staff to be called into question.

The initial question of when do the Frauds come out? I find they come out when you shine a light on them and they begin to spin things. I agree that they were always there, and always had that ego/personality.

Sometimes I would like to just go away and leave general masses to fend for themselves and the boards to fall into infights and such. Yet, I find myself still helping. Although recently I have not had to much if any invovlement, and it has been better.

Don Roley said:

Don, Don, Don, ** Shakes Head :idunno: **
How can you not take their money. :rolleyes:
I mean this would be you then writing the whole article for them from scratch. Oh sorry, sarcasm is not the best way to communicate. :)

Don Roley said:

Yes the myths are great. Even the engineers I work with who need a thousand data points before they believe something about a system they are working or testing, yet they think a black belt can dodge bullets, just like Matrix. :idunno:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kroh said:
You can't dodge bullets? Keep training...you'll get there :btg:

Sorry couldnt resist...
Regards,
Walt

I thought I would concentrate on the levitation like in Crouching Tiger ...
as soon as I can get that down I will then move onto the more advanced technqiues. ;)

************ NOTE This is sarcasm people *****************

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Don, Don, Don, ** Shakes Head :idunno: **
How can you not take their money. :rolleyes:
I mean this would be you then writing the whole article for them from scratch. Oh sorry, sarcasm is not the best way to communicate. :)

It actually worked out. I think it is one of those works where no one is credited and so they asked me to be a co-author. I was able to throw out everything that was bad (well over 50 percent at least) and replace it with something much firmer in reality. I don't think you will see my name mentioned, or anyone's, but at least I am not stepping on anyone's toes or letting bad information get out.

I still want to slap Ashida Kim silly over the whole mess.:whip:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I still want to slap Ashida Kim silly over the whole mess.:whip:

All you need is like 10 grand...

:D

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think some one tried the ten grand thing and some one (ahem...) backed out.

Regards,
Walt

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh no, both times he wussed out with some flimsy excuses. The challenge is actually false advertising, as he quite clearly won't honour it.

Latest Discussions