What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. It's Bob's fault Bill Alexander never hit it big. Maybe his charisma translates better in person:
The title of the thread is controversial now isn't. So....it is a controversy. I never said it was Bob's fault. I actually said it was an executive decision. Bill was on TV for 8 years, that's not an unpopular show to be on that long. It's just that few people remember him.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I’m thinking that probably wouldn’t help much. 😅

I actually think your right..... which is one of the reasons I hav not done it. I spent much of my life not listening to doctors and it got to where I am today...one knee replaced, another should be and a hip too. It only took me a bit over 50 years to tart listening. And with this one, if the left eye got the detachment, well, that is a career ender if I can't read a computer screen

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who loves almost any sport-less boring than baseball. In baseball you're spending half the time waiting for a pitch to be made/hit, while 90% of the team is waiting for the same. In soccer the ball is always in motion, and even the people not involved in a play are trying to get into the right positioning. It's basically hockey but using your feet rather than sticks, more strategy, and less violence.
Have you, perchance, witnessed Cricket? Prepare for deep sleep….

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob Ross is an imposter.
The style of painting and the show itself was created by Bill Alexander. The network executives didn't like Bill because he was German with an accent. Bob learned from Bill and the executives fired Bill and put soft spoken hippy Bob in his place. Thus Bob Ross became famous off the back and hard work of an old German imigrant. While Bill died heart broken and faded into obscurity.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The title of the thread is controversial now isn't. So....it is a controversy. I never said it was Bob's fault. I actually said it was an executive decision. Bill was on TV for 8 years, that's not an unpopular show to be on that long. It's just that few people remember him.

Bob can’t help having an inherently hypnotic voice and the demeanor of a koala. 🐨

No matter how hard you try, a German (or Prussian or Austrian) accent will never sound soothing. 😀

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
No matter how hard you try, a German (or Prussian or Austrian) accent will never sound soothing. 😀
Which is why they kicked Bill to the curb.
Bob can’t help having an inherently hypnotic voice and the demeanor of a koala. 🐨
I bet the whole soft hippy vibe is an act. In real life Bob Ross takes off his fake Fro and talks like M&M. (Don't do drugs) Bob is the real slim shady.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a friend that went to Ball State University and majored in Art (late 1990's).

Bob Ross lived in Muncie, where BSU is located. All of the Art Professors called Ross "a hack" and thought he had no talent.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob Ross is an imposter.
The style of painting and the show itself was created by Bill Alexander. The network executives didn't like Bill because he was German with an accent. Bob learned from Bill and the executives fired Bill and put soft spoken hippy Bob in his place. Thus Bob Ross became famous off the back and hard work of an old German imigrant. While Bill died heart broken and faded into obscurity.
Had to look into this because I hadn't heard of Bill before. Looks like the time period between Bill's show and Bob's was 8 months. He also directly mentioned Bill in the first few episodes. That makes me think it's less of him being an impostor or stealing his work, so much as Bill gave it a go, was moderately successful but eventually it didn't work out, then Bob tried and was much more successful. Happens all the time.

If he took over Bill's show itself, or started his while Bill's was going on, I'd have a different opinion about it.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had to look into this because I hadn't heard of Bill before. Looks like the time period between Bill's show and Bob's was 8 months. He also directly mentioned Bill in the first few episodes. That makes me think it's less of him being an impostor or stealing his work, so much as Bill gave it a go, was moderately successful but eventually it didn't work out, then Bob tried and was much more successful. Happens all the time.

If he took over Bill's show itself, or started his while Bill's was going on, I'd have a different opinion about it.

Like I said the PBS station executives decided to end Bill's show and replace him with Bob Ross. Bill was the creator of the show and held some legal right to the show, so obviously PBS created a "new show" but ultimately it's the same show. The entire story was captured in a book but I've only read what was available on line. My impression was that the network was not upfront with Bill and were a little shady since he had creator rights. It's been written that Bill was bitter about the whole thing and felt ripped off.
The story is out there on the internet for anyone to read and judge for themselves.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said the PBS station executives decided to end Bill's show and replace him with Bob Ross. Bill was the creator of the show and held some legal right to the show, so obviously PBS created a "new show" but ultimately it's the same show. The entire story was captured in a book but I've only read what was available on line. My impression was that the network was not upfront with Bill and were a little shady since he had creator rights. It's been written that Bill was bitter about the whole thing and felt ripped off.
The story is out there on the internet for anyone to read and judge for themselves.
My point wasn't that it was a new show, but that there was an 8 month gap between the two. It's not a particularly complicated show, so if they were just avoiding name stuff, they didn't need to wait that long.

I did read through the story, and to me at least it read more like the producers decided the show wasn't worth keeping around any longer, then had a change of mind and started looking for new talent. Only the people involved know the full story though I'm sure.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My point wasn't that it was a new show, but that there was an 8 month gap between the two. It's not a particularly complicated show, so if they were just avoiding name stuff, they didn't need to wait that long.

I did read through the story, and to me at least it read more like the producers decided the show wasn't worth keeping around any longer, then had a change of mind and started looking for new talent. Only the people involved know the full story though I'm sure.
I guess we'll all have to wait until HBO produces a series on this as a companion to Julia.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As for TV artists....Captain Bob on Boston TV way back when, was better than all of them in my opinion.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Controversial opinions:

Too few people actually know what "decimate" means. It refers to reducing something by 10%, not destroying it completely.

"Literally" can be used literally or figuratively. Both are correct. So, when a kid says, "I literally died," it's okay.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Controversial opinions:

Too few people actually know what "decimate" means. It refers to reducing something by 10%, not destroying it completely.

"Literally" can be used literally or figuratively. Both are correct. So, when a kid says, "I literally died," it's okay.
Are you going by modern or historical definitions here? If you're going by modern, then your statement about literally/figuratively is accurate, but decimate is not, since it's now in dictionaries with the definition to destroy something completely (in better words). If you're going by historical, you're right that decimate is 10%, but then you should only view literally as literal.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Are you going by modern or historical definitions here? If you're going by modern, then your statement about literally/figuratively is accurate, but decimate is not, since it's now in dictionaries with the definition to destroy something completely (in better words). If you're going by historical, you're right that decimate is 10%, but then you should only view literally as literal.
I feel literally zero compulsion to be consistent. My opinions are controversial, and I stand by them. :D

Latest Discussions