What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
An international meeting requires convening to standardise the pronunciation of the -‘stein’ name suffix. If Einstein = ‘Ein-styn‘ then why was Rhoda’s surname ‘Morgan-steen’ (if you remember that programme, you are old!). When referring to the disgraceful Harvey Weinstein should it be pronounced ‘Weinsteen‘ or Weinstyn? How does one pronounce the surname of Prince Andrew’s best ex-friend Jeffrey Epstein…Epstein or Epstyn?
Reminds me of a story I heard once. No idea if it's true, fair warning. But the upshot was that we can pronounce our names however we like. So, I could introduce myself as Steve and spell it G-Y-A-K-U-T-O.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a story I heard once. No idea if it's true, fair warning. But the upshot was that we can pronounce our names however we like. So, I could introduce myself as Steve and spell it G-Y-A-K-U-T-O.
Mr Musk? Elon? Is that you?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Agreed. But The Holy Grail is Gospel in the neighborhood I grew up in. To this day.
When I was very young... around 10 years old... I was pretty sick. This was before we had a remote control TV, and the cable box was one of those old ones with the slider. My mom and dad went to work and left me at home on the couch, and my mom put on PBS, thinking at least I'd have something reasonably educational on the TV. That day, they ran a 12 hour marathon of Monty Python's Flying Circus, and I was thoroughly hooked.

Monty Python's Meaning of Life was the very first rated R movie I saw in the theaters. They were masters of moving seamlessly between high comedy and low.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was very young... around 10 years old... I was pretty sick. This was before we had a remote control TV, and the cable box was one of those old ones with the slider. My mom and dad went to work and left me at home on the couch, and my mom put on PBS, thinking at least I'd have something reasonably educational on the TV. That day, they ran a 12 hour marathon of Monty Python's Flying Circus, and I was thoroughly hooked.

Monty Python's Meaning of Life was the very first rated R movie I saw in the theaters. They were masters of moving seamlessly between high comedy and low.
The films are very good as they’re a distillation of their material. But some of their material is a ‘filler’ at best. They have admitted this themselves as the were given carte blanche on 13 initial episodes (I think it was 13) and didn’t have enough material to fill the time. Thus they sometimes came up with below par material.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were our American cousins familiar with Spike Milligan?

His grave stone reads, ‘I told I was ill’.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Anyone else enjoy Taskmaster or 8 out of 10 Cats? We'll catch those when we can.

We've tried watching the offshoots of Taskmaster in different countries, but the only other version that seems to work is New Zealand. The American version was pretty terrible.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The part where the waiter seduces the portly customer into eating just one more wafer thin mint....

I nearly fell off my chair the first time I saw that. As lowbrow as it is, still made me laugh hard.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The part where the waiter seduces the portly customer into eating just one more wafer thin mint....

I nearly fell off my chair the first time I saw that. As lowbrow as it is, still made me laugh hard.
"How are you feeling?"
"Better... Better get me a bucket because I'm going to throw up!"

Me too. The fish scene right before that...

"Hey look... Howard's being eaten."
"Makes you think, doesn't it?"
"Yeah, I mean... what's it all about?"

But the best part of the movie is when the protestant is complaining about the catholics selling off their kids for medical experiments. That entire scene is genius.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Controversial opinion, we should be as sympathetic and supportive in every way to people who have mental illness as we are to people who have cancer.
I can't argue that.

I have several people in my family who suffer from mental illness. I just don't care anymore. Not even one little, tiny bit.

I actually find it refreshing not caring anymore. I think it's part of personal self defense.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
No! I think the issue was a lot of it was ‘American humour’…the unfunny kind…like SNL.…the sketches went on too long and stopped being funny. Many of the guests were unknown in the U.K. It just didn’t travel very well. I should say, I am probably in a minority even here in the U.K., but I never even cracked a smile at the Muppet Show.

Frasier? Genius. Curb Your Enthusiasm? Genius. Big Bang Theory? Very good. Friends? Very good.
Depends on how old you were when watching Muppets. If your over 12, it wasn't designed for you.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watching sports like baseball, basketball, football ect.. is dumb. It's nothing more than buying into an ideology. A cult to identify with so you can belong to a group and your soul feels a little less pathetic.
Hockey on the other hand is awesome.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Watching sports like baseball, basketball, football ect.. is dumb. It's nothing more than buying into an ideology. A cult to identify with so you can belong to a group and your soul feels a little less pathetic.
Hockey on the other hand is awesome.
Football dumb? Blasphemer!

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And on a related note:
All team sport statistics are meaningless.

With however many players on the team, even if the same teams played one another every time, it would never work out to the exact combination of players again each other evenly. So what happened last time has (at best) only an intellectual affect. Only stats for 1 on 1 sports (like tennis or mma) have any real use.

Latest Discussions