Whats your carry knife and how do you carry it?

PoolMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Correction, it is illegal to open carry in MOST of California.

It is illegal to open carry in California. And it is next to impossible to get a California CCW. California laws regarding knives are surprisingly lenient though.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you guys still lived in the 17th centry? I carry a Walther PPK.

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/3994/ppkk.jpg

*checks date*

Mmm...even in New Hampshire it's 2012. Although I saw a guy sporting an epic mullet on the way in to work....does that count? :D

Personally I tend to refer to my knives, instead of other tools, because I rech for them a lot more. They are handy for moe than just sticking the pointy end in to the other guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still carrying my Benchmade autostryker, mostly.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I carry a Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops smooth edge clipped to the inside of my jacket sleeve or in my strong side pocket because I did have someone grab for my gun once. For being only $9 at an auto parts store, it rivals (IMO) even the more expensive Gerber blades. It opens smooth and easy and a quick flick of the wrist locks it in place.

cloud dancing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Magnum Starfighter,by Boker.clip on so it draws quickly
3 inch blade.razor edged/shrarped with fine grit metal sandpaper
since i live inthailand/primary weapon is 5 foot staff.thaislike
that I carry staff .Also have 2 backup knives.
like belt clip-on as gives easier quicker draw than from pocket
Has small exfensions left/right toopen one handed/opens with blade edge up
allows me 3 inch area for blocking or attacking
If stab misses/have blade for slicing attacker.
learning verbal judo to avoid pushing person into fight
Use for protection/not agression.

Rallypunx

White Belt
Reaction score
I normally carry a Benchmade Griptilian Tanto with a half-serrated blade. I carry it on my weak hand front pocket, since I normally carry my firearm on my strong side. I used to carry a Kershaw Ken Onion with a half-serrated blade, but it was too small, even though it had the best opening mechanism I've seen. I believe it was called cam-activated or something like that. With practice, now I can transfer the knife to my dominant hand and open it just as fast as the Kershaw.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
I’ve been learning, teaching and practicing martial arts for over forty years. My Master taught the double saber knife techniques which I practiced for years and eventually I created my own single saber knife techniques. Seven years ago I read about many schools in my art taking up the karambit because the it fit our moves so perfectly. After a couple of years I bought one and it did fit our moves perfectly. I then created karambit techniques after studying it for a while and then taught my students.

I love the karambit, it’s one of the perfect defense weapons. The ring is not only good for keeping the blade from leaving your hand, but you can use it to also strike with. It can be used to control a person at the joint spots, it rakes-slice deeply and it can also stab. It serves as two weapons in one. Closed, it makes the perfect “pocket-stick,” which I developed techniques for. I carry the Emerson karambit which is pricey. But fortunately I have a wealthy black belt student that gifted it to me.

I do not like using the karambit with the small pinky in the ring, which is the saber position. I prefer and teach the reverse saber grip, it’s much stronger with the forefinger in the ring. Now, this may not be the position another art chooses, but it works for us. Sure it gets you close to the attacker, but our art practices closeness. We use the old adage: Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

You do not have to purchase an expensive karambit for a self defense carry weapon, twelve dollar ones from Amazon will work just as well—if you have the skill.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
assist open knives are illegal here. Might want to recheck your state laws

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk and glitchy Windows 8

I'm in California. I would think if Big 5 sporting goods is selling a product, it would be legal to own. But I may be wrong, and if that's the case, they shouldn't be allowed to sell an illegal product.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm in California. I would think if Big 5 sporting goods is selling a product, it would be legal to own. But I may be wrong, and if that's the case, they shouldn't be allowed to sell an illegal product.

"Shall not be infringed."

George Washington carried a sword. So did Winfield Scott. Our forefathers weren't just talking about guns. They meant explosives, blades, big freakin anti tank weapons. Aka whatever it takes.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk and glitchy Windows 8

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
I take turns carrying an Emerson Fox karambit and a Smith & Eesson black ops. I carry mine in my right front pocket. You can access it a lot faster from your front pocket than the back. You can also walk around looking natural with your right hand in your front pocket.
Don’t know where you’re at, but three inches is the legal length here. My S & E is an eighth over three inches. All you need is a three inch blade to put a man down, if you have training. I’ve been training a long, long time. The karambit is for ribbing and the straight blade is for stabbing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use this one from time to time.

victorinox-rescue-tool.jpg

ShazamKenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
I like big folders and generally I rotate between a REKAT Sifu with a 5.5 inch blade, Camillus Max 5.5 or a Cold Steel Vaquaro Grande 6"
As of late I have stepped it down to Spyderco Manix or Paramilitary 2

vincymull

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been carrying a Zero Tolerance 0350 that has the Tiger Striped & Half Serrated edge. I also carry a Kershaw Diskin Hunter fixed blade along with my flashlight & spare magazine.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
[h=1]Gerber 06 Automatic Knife S30V Drop Point (3.7" Black Serr) 0377[/h]On duty and off.

gerber-06-auto-dp-serr-30-000377-large.jpg

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I carry a Stainless Steel Spyderco Police Model since I feel its one of the very few one handed openers that has a thin enough spine width to wear comfortably in a pair of jeans. The blade length adds allot of cutting surface & reach as well as the shape of the tip is made to penetrate multiple layers of clothing with ease. The other thing I like about the knife is you can use it as a kubaton to strike and grapple with in the closed position since you have some steel handle exposed on both the thumb and pink side of the fist. Thats if you don't feel like slashing or stabbing somebody.

re7ejaru.jpg

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
before the law got changed from being able to carry any length of blade to a blade of 3 inches or less.

i used to carry a KaBar 1211 ultilty knife (striaght edge) i now carry a KaBar police issue with a 3 inch blade :)

i just like the look, feel and the effectiveness of KaBar knives :)

Latest Discussions