What Drew You to Your Art?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm very curious to hear this one. What was it about the art you study that spoke to you?

I study wing chun kung fu, a system that consists of very small, non-flashy moves. This appealed to me because (1) I'm not a very big guy, so a strength-based system was definitely out for me, and (2) I am a closed person...I like keeping to myself, not making a big spectacle of myself. Wing chun's philosophies and principles seemed to be tailor-made to someone like me.

I look forward to your responses.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Its fun. I get to geek out and learn about fighting with a sword and all manner of weaponry. It actually translates really well to "real world" scenarios without little or no change in the assumptions that shape the art. Basically it appeals to my "I wanna be a fantasy warrior geek side and my if-you-are spending-this-much-time-on-something-it-should-be-practical side. Best of both worlds. And did I mention it is fun?

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Initially a TV show called "Wide World of Sports", when I was 16, and then a demonstration at a new school opening in my home town. Many years later, I learned of Modern Arnis from a Filipino colleague and I was looking for a practical weapons system to supplement my empty hand style. The blend of my early training and Modern Arnis has been much more versatile than I had anticipated and a great deal of fun.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What Drew me to taijiquan? I had a back injury and it was all I could do at the time

What Drew me to Xingyiquan? It just fit me from the first time I read about it back in the early 70s....but I think my knees, age and proximity of good teachers, is telling me I need to stop this one so....taijiquan, and I am very ok with that.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Two friends recommended I try Kenpo. My teacher encouraged me to try modern arnis, and weapons I just naturally took a liking to.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the mid 70s I saw a demonstration of several MA on Korean television. One of them was Hapkido. At first I thought they were over emphasizing some things, maybe even faking a little, but it intrigued me. I sort of forgot about it until the mid 80s, when I found it being taught on post. I've been hooked ever since. I've always been amazed at what can be done, no faking needed.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very curious to hear this one. What was it about the art you study that spoke to you?

I study wing chun kung fu, a system that consists of very small, non-flashy moves. This appealed to me because (1) I'm not a very big guy, so a strength-based system was definitely out for me, and (2) I am a closed person...I like keeping to myself, not making a big spectacle of myself. Wing chun's philosophies and principles seemed to be tailor-made to someone like me.

I look forward to your responses.

Kenpo: When I was looking for something to train in, that school wasn't too far from where I lived. At the time, I didn't practice what I usually preach now, which is to do your homework on a school. However, starting in SKK (Villari) and moving on to Parker Kenpo, I really enjoyed the art. It offered a wide array of things, and really is an effective art, if done and taught correctly.

Arnis: A few people who trained Kenpo, also did Arnis. I was drawn to that art mainly because of the weapons. It certainly offers a very in depth understanding of the blade and stick. The empty hand stuff is brutally effective as well. IMO, it blended very well with the Kenpo that I did.

Kyokushin: After leaving Kenpo, mainly due to be dissatisfied with the schools and instruction in the area, I needed to find something else. There had been a Kyokushin dojo in my town for quite some time, and I'd drive by it often, though despite being told by family that I should check it out, I never did....well, until 3 yrs ago. I wish that I had started much sooner than I did, but better late than never! :) IMHO, the teacher, the dojo, and the instruction is really what the arts are all about. I really couldn't ask for a better place to train.

The above is a basic idea of what drew me to each art. Of course there are other things, but I don't feel like typing out a lengthy post. In addition to the above, I'd say one of the best things that I've gained from my years of training, are the wonderful friends and training partners that I've made. Through seminars, camps, etc, I've had the chance to meet and train with many fantastic people. Some of the best workouts that I still have to this day, are the backyard/garage training sessions. I enjoy those because we're all there for the same purpose...to train and learn. No belts, no egos, just hard work. :)

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo: When I was looking for something to train in, that school wasn't too far from where I lived. At the time, I didn't practice what I usually preach now, which is to do your homework on a school. However, starting in SKK (Villari) and moving on to Parker Kenpo, I really enjoyed the art. It offered a wide array of things, and really is an effective art, if done and taught correctly.

Arnis: A few people who trained Kenpo, also did Arnis. I was drawn to that art mainly because of the weapons. It certainly offers a very in depth understanding of the blade and stick. The empty hand stuff is brutally effective as well. IMO, it blended very well with the Kenpo that I did.

Kyokushin: After leaving Kenpo, mainly due to be dissatisfied with the schools and instruction in the area, I needed to find something else. There had been a Kyokushin dojo in my town for quite some time, and I'd drive by it often, though despite being told by family that I should check it out, I never did....well, until 3 yrs ago. I wish that I had started much sooner than I did, but better late than never! :) IMHO, the teacher, the dojo, and the instruction is really what the arts are all about. I really couldn't ask for a better place to train.

The above is a basic idea of what drew me to each art. Of course there are other things, but I don't feel like typing out a lengthy post. In addition to the above, I'd say one of the best things that I've gained from my years of training, are the wonderful friends and training partners that I've made. Through seminars, camps, etc, I've had the chance to meet and train with many fantastic people. Some of the best workouts that I still have to this day, are the backyard/garage training sessions. I enjoy those because we're all there for the same purpose...to train and learn. No belts, no egos, just hard work. :)

That is what I love about my particular wing chun school. I understand that some have belts, but ours does not. Until you touch hands with someone (or ask how long they have been training there), you have no idea who the senior students are.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I study TKD and it wasn't so much the art as the training environment that drew me to my current school. I prefer a school where I can work hard and enjoy learning and compared to the other schools in my area this was the best fit for what I was looking for.