What's wrong with competitive Taekwondo/MA?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're not training to hit a specific target (e.g., the carotid artery, which if injured can cause stroke, paralysis or even death), but rather just to practice the motion, than hitting a heavy bag will give you just as much practice, only you can go all out.

You get locked into an issue there. So a judo chop to the neck may be more effective than a chop to the face. But in sparring you don't chop to the neck due to the sport restrictions that they are fighting back. They are as good as you and you don't really want to cripple people.

So if you and your oponant are going at it hard. You have to restrict a bit of your skill set.

But if you can stop people with judo chops to the face. Then this has a two fold benefit. One is the neck shot will be more effective as it is a better target. And if you spazz for some reason and chop them in the face it is not a wasted shot.

A bag has the restriction that it is not fighting back.

Which still does not discount it as a learning tool. Just two different methods to achieve a goal.

OP
Jaeimseu

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Your quote says it all. Martial (Warfare) Arts (to become skillfull at) are not gained through "sport." If one wants sports or competition, then why choose the martial arts when so many other choices exist? There is nothing sporting about self defence. Besides, reading the works of the old masters and founders, they were against the competitve stuff. It waters down the art by making rules and changing the mind set and focus.
I think martial arts lend themselves to competition quite well. I also think that for most people, martial arts skills are much more useful in a sporting context than for self defense. IMO, self defense is one aspect of martial arts training, not THE aspect.

Are you against auto-racing? Cars were presumably made for transportation. Why choose to compete with cars when there are so many other options.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your quote says it all. Martial (Warfare) Arts (to become skillfull at) are not gained through "sport." If one wants sports or competition, then why choose the martial arts when so many other choices exist? There is nothing sporting about self defence. Besides, reading the works of the old masters and founders, they were against the competitve stuff. It waters down the art by making rules and changing the mind set and focus.

Which old founders.

I am thinking things like sumo were allways sport.

Is this legit? Cos it sounds like sport.
http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question77418.html

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When training specific targets, I use a BOB for full force, and control with partners. And I've done so, safely, for about 40 years.
The idea that any particular techniques are "too dangerous" to practice is just ludicrous.

Ah, I think maybe I misunderstood the context. I thought were talking about students. Someone like you, with many years of striking experience, should have the control to only hit as hard as they intend to, and to intend to only hit gently. But someone who's only got a few months or a year in, in my experience they just aren't there yet. Especially the kind of teenagers and adults you see sometimes who come in wanting to prove how strong and tough they are - and maybe they have the physical strength, but they have no skill or accuracy.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, I think maybe I misunderstood the context. I thought were talking about students. Someone like you, with many years of striking experience, should have the control to only hit as hard as they intend to, and to intend to only hit gently. But someone who's only got a few months or a year in, in my experience they just aren't there yet. Especially the kind of teenagers and adults you see sometimes who come in wanting to prove how strong and tough they are - and maybe they have the physical strength, but they have no skill or accuracy.

Obviously not every person can do every thing. I can't do a 720 kick. Don't have any desire to either.
But you've hit on one of the reasons why there are no baby black belts in our school. But we do start teaching both power and control from day 1.

Latest Discussions