What would your Martial Art do?

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Recently I came across an article that I found amusing. I didn't read the entire thing, but the gist was how 'sport' MA wasn't any good for self defense. The scenario was 'you're at the atm, and someone comes up to you, and pulls out a gun'. It then went on to say 'If you do BJJ then you'd likely attempt a flying arm bar - and get shot in the head'.

Now, instead of pointing out the obvious here an idea came to mind. One that I think we could have some fun with. My idea is this.
The Scenario: The same as above, you're at the atm, and someone comes up to you with a gun.
The question: What would your Martial Art do?

I do Hung Gar Kung Fu. So for me, the answer is I immediately drop down into a horse stance, sinking my root down into the earth, and cause the ground to tremble. I then use the cranes beak technique to deflect the incoming bullet harmlessly aside, as I pivot my horse stance into a bow stance. While I do that, I draw power deep from the earth and attack with a tiger claw strike that hits so hard the assailant explodes.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I assume from Your example, Youre not being too serious ;)

Id do a Palm Heel Strike at the ATM, causing so much sheer reverberating Power upon Impact that Concrete would be blasted out of the wall, and the shockwave would immobilize My Opponent. I would then Stomp the Ground, offbalancing Him, and step forward into a Left Hand Ridgehand Strike, cutting Him in Half. I would then take His top half, choke it to death, and take it Home for Dinne... Ah... to... hide... the... body... Leaving the bottom half to be found by some confused bystanders, and start the most awesome Police Investigation ever to make it onto the News.

jedtx88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd let out a kiyap so fierce he would turn the gun on himself.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since I am Hapkido, I would immediately move inside his sphere of greatest power, grab all four of his limbs simultaneously, turn him into a screaming pretzel, and walk away whistling nonchalantly as I counted my money.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since I am Hapkido, I would immediately move inside his sphere of greatest power, grab all four of his limbs simultaneously, turn him into a screaming pretzel, and walk away whistling nonchalantly as I counted my money.
...And His Money, which You presumably nabbed with Your Mouth.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
...And His Money, which You presumably nabbed with Your Mouth.

I'm sorry, I thought it would be understood that my gi separated him and his money during the brief instant it took to complete my counter-attack. ;-) (At which time his became mine
Angel_anim.gif
)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I thought it would be understood that my gi separated him and his money during the brief instant it took to complete my counter-attack. ;-) (At which time his became mine
Angel_anim.gif
)
Wait, wait...

You were out getting Money from an ATM, in Your GI?
Well, Ive seen weirder stuff I suppose.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On a more serious note however, I find these questions unanswerable. My style doesn't do anything in response to an attack. Rather, I do. I don't need to respond to an attack in a certain way. My style doesn't dictate that, altho it suggests some possibilities. But what would actually happen is something that I cannot predict. IF it happens, THEN I will do something. THEN I can tell you what I did. But not before.

My system is a way of training the body in certain skills. But it doesnt' dictate how to respond to a particular situation. The training methodology suggests possibilities, but ultimately my response is my own.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1) I would not have let him get so close in the first place as I would have made sure he knew I was watching him.
2) If I had suspected him of a threat and I could not just leave I would place my hand on a weapon. (* Firearm,knife,pen,rock in the sreet, ..., . *)
3) If for some reason I was asleep and he got me in surprise I would had him the money. DUH! (* Good response "G" and it was what I was thinking *)
4) The rest all depends upon distance and location and how they hold they weapon and how they present it and ... ,.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would goad him into firing at me, slip the projectile, and "blend" with the energy of the firearm's recoil to smash the shooters face. As he stumbled backward I would catch his heel with the toes of my foot, effectively throwing him to the ground. As his head bounced back up from the ground, I would coordinate a followup strike to the same place he was struck by the firearm.

I would then do deep breathing exercises to draw forth his ki and absorb it, rendering him paralyzed while I waited for the authorities to show up.

Because that's how we roll.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, a flying arm-bar might work. It all depends on the readiness of the guy holding the gun, and I assume we wait until they aren't ready.:)
Sean

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't be wearing my sword, but even if I was, I'd give him the money.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pray for Bruce Lee's spirit to intervene! Or for Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, or Jet Li to pull up in a mustang and kick some arsh!! ;)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait, wait...

You were out getting Money from an ATM, in Your GI?
Well, Ive seen weirder stuff I suppose.

Yes, but it's usually hidden by my cape.

Actually my bad, I should have spelled it ki, meaning my indomitable inner force.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If someone is pointing a gun on me, asking for my money, I would simply give my wallet to him. I wouldn't risk doing any Martial techniques to the gun away from him.